The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2018, 08:10 AM

Default Preamp Opinion ES1.2

Hey guys, I currently have a Taylor 614ce with the ES1.2 system and an Alvarez-Yairi DY-74 with a K&k Pure Mini. I have seen in another post where a Taylor K4 preamp makes the ES sound much better. I have been considering ways to improve the sound of my 614ce plugged with something that will also work with the Pure Mini. I have considered the K&K Pure Preamp since it seems to be highly regarded with the Mini, but IDK if it would improve the ES much? I have also considered replacing the ES1 with a Trinity or upgrading to the ES2? And then I have thought about the K4, which is about 200-250 on the used market, if I can find one, so.....I'm curious if any of you guys have a favorite preamp that works well with each of these systems. Is there any preamp that can help the ES sound more authentic?

FYI....I am a worship leader and always plug direct with a direct box. On Sundays, I use my full pedal board (ART MP Tube pre, 7 band EQ, BOSS AD-2) sounds much better with each, but the Taylor ES has less bass and fullness IMO. On Wednesdays, I sometimes don't carry the full board and just plug direct in our Youth Room.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 10-17-2018, 08:26 AM

Default DI where?

Direct sometimes, but do you DI before, after, or both when using the pedalboard?

https://soundcloud.com/mcshepherd

Axe (acoustic): 2013 Gibson J-45 Standard (w/hardware mods)
Pickup: BGM Elevation SBT
Preamp/DI: Archangel x7 (generation 7)
Tube Amp: Peavey Delta Blues 115
Old 10-17-2018, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McShepherd View Post
Direct sometimes, but do you DI before, after, or both when using the pedalboard?
Always through a direct box. The ART Tube MP on my pedal board is a direct box with a tube pre-amp. I plug in through a direct box without the pedal board sometimes when I need to travel lighter, but still use a direct box.
Fender MIM Tele
Old 10-17-2018, 03:05 PM

Default Preamp Opinion ES1.2

The problem with the ES1 in any version is that the majority of the sound is coming from a magnetic pickup under the high end of the fretboard. Even with filters and so on in the on-board preamp of version 3 the overwhelming character is that of an electric guitar neck pickup when played up the neck. The sensor (or sensors with versions 1 & 2 iirc) gives a degree of acoustic air but not enough in my opinion - and the level is not adjustable.

The other issue with the ES1 is that Taylor gave it a balanced output - it works as a normal unbalanced signal but is noticeably better balanced. Which creates a problem with just about any external preamp as they are mostly designed to have a balanced output but a regular guitar input. As do pedal effects etc...

I have no idea what the K4 had that made it so special but I assume it had specific notch filters and eq circuits especially designed for the ES1 and importantly a balanced input.

I bought a Tonebone Pz-pre to try to take the magnetic and mid heavy character of the ES but I’ll be honest and admit that in the end I upgraded to ES2!

My other acoustics have the Pure Mini and now I can share the eq settings on the Pz-pre without having to worry about major adjustments if switching guitars mid gig.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-18-2018, 06:10 AM

There would be output impedance differences between
the es1 which i assume is relatively low
and the kk which is relatively high.
So unless you get a pre with adjustable
input impedance (felix comes to mind)
You may have issues using both guitars
into one preamp.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification