The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-15-2018, 07:43 PM
Charter Member

Default Clip on sound hole tuner on French polish

I recently got my first nylon string guitar. Since nylon string guitars apparently need to be tuned before each use, I’d like to put on of those D’Addario mini tuners in the soundhole so it’s aleays there when I need it. The guitar has a French polish finish, so I’d like to get advice on whether leaving the tuner on there could damage the French polish.

Here’s a link to the tuner.

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/acce...CABEgKsgfD_BwE
Old 10-15-2018, 08:40 PM

You can also try a D’Addario NS Micro tuner double side taped to the inside of the soundhole. I’ve used this method on the back of headstocks on an Emerald and Voyage-Air guitars with complete success.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
You can also try a D’Addario NS Micro tuner double side taped to the inside of the soundhole. I’ve used this method on the back of headstocks on an Emerald and Voyage-Air guitars with complete success.
Do you cut off the plastic clip to do this? On the tuber I have, there’s a little metal tang behind the plastic clip that would also need to be removed.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:02 PM

Default Clip on sound hole tuner on French polish

I removed the plastic clip from the “o” shaped mount. I used two pieces of double sided tape. The first with a hole to provide a flat surface for the second piece of tape.

I tested the tuning against a clip on tuner and the readings of both tuners matched so the tape did not affect the vibrations required to activate the tuner.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 10-16-2018, 06:36 PM
Charter Member

I hope this isn’t a dumb question, but what do you do when it comes time to change the battery?
Old 10-16-2018, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstep192 View Post
I recently got my first nylon string guitar. Since nylon string guitars apparently need to be tuned before each use...
What makes you think this is true only of nylon string guitars?
Old 10-16-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
I hope this isn’t a dumb question, but what do you do when it comes time to change the battery?

The battery compartment slides out of the back of the tuner.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Old 10-16-2018, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
What makes you think this is true only of nylon string guitars?
Because I have several steel string guitars that don’t need to be tuned nearly as much as the nylon string! 😢
Old 10-17-2018, 07:29 AM

Unless the strings are really old and hard then yeah usually you have to tune up a classical guitar day after day.

I think you would be ok with that on a French polish. Besides if you are going to use the thing then it will be there forever any way right? If it does leave a little mark in the finish then it could probably be polished out with some Mirror Glaze or something like that.
Old 10-17-2018, 04:54 PM
Charter Member

I was wondering if the foam pad that protects the top of the guitar from the hard plastic of the tuner could somehow damage the finish.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:28 PM

Only thing is the foam may hold moisture and possibly other chemicals that may mar the finish, beaides discoloration from not being exposed to light. But it's FP, so shouldn't be hard to toch up, no?

Back in my signmaking days we did a few magnetic signs for cars and trucks. We advised cleaning the area and applying wax before affixing the sign. Possibly waxing the area first would help protect it? I did notice at Artisan earlier this year many builders had these tuners. But, I suppose they weren't on the guitar long term.
Old 10-17-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I was wondering if the foam pad that protects the top of the guitar from the hard plastic of the tuner could somehow damage the finish.
Ok to answer your question more clearly then... Yes

I mean, of course it's possible it might damage it. If anything though it would be from the squeezing action. If it's real tight then it could leave a mark. FP over spruce doesn't do much to physically protect it but IMHO that's the whole point. That is why FP is the least intrusive finish to tone.

Most of the guitars I make nowadays have an FP finish. I've not used those tuners but other clip on ones that have pads to protect the finish and have had no problems at least on the head stock. Again spruce is soft. But I doubt you will have a chemical reaction with it. IF the guitar is like weeks old new then you may consider not using it for a while to let the FP harden up real good.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Because I have several steel string guitars that don’t need to be tuned nearly as much as the nylon string! 😢
After the nylon/polymer stretches, in my experience the strings are as stable as steel strings as far as tuning goes. Humidity affects my classical guitars' tuning more than anything except heavy use. Same holds for my steel string guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair