The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-04-2018, 09:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Yamaha FG-800S finish repair

Good morning,

A while back I purchased a new Yamaha Fg800 that needed a minor repair (glue and clamp, mainly) to the edge of the top. It came out really nicely and it's now my beater guitar that sounds so much better than I thought it would for the price.

So I decided to get another one that I could give my son as an upgrade to his all-laminate yamaha fg-400a. I found a similar deal on a slightly damaged fg800s and it arrived a few days ago.

The trouble with this one is less about any need for regluing and more just about a portion of the finish missing ... See image.

Does anyone know what kind of finish would do a reasonable job of filling this in? I'm not terribly concerned about doing work equal to that of a skilled luthier. I didn't pay much for it and its just going to function as a campfire or beach guitar. Would polyurethane suffice?

I could potentially add an armrest to cover it up as well. That might actually be a nice fallback.

Thoughts?

Last edited by euraquilo; 10-08-2018 at 08:30 AM. Reason: remove unnecessary picture
Old 10-04-2018, 10:50 AM

I would most likely tape around the area and build up the finish with shellac and buff it out. Shellac is a good sanding sealer and top coat. I French Polish my guitar and really like it. I haven't a clue what kind of finish Yamaha uses but I think Shellac will work. There are folks on this forum that know a lot more then me.
Old 10-04-2018, 11:01 AM

gluboost.com
Old 10-04-2018, 06:01 PM

Process.

Use a little bit or red scotchbrite to lightly clean the surface
Drip fill with superglue and allow to dry in thin build layers, about 3-4 times until its dried above the damaged area
When dry, with a razor blade scrape it flat.
Buy a set of micromesh pads (10 dollars) and sand it until its a full gloss finish again.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

Thank you all for the help! I'll post results when it's completed.
Old 10-08-2018, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Fill in completed, used CA glue. Just waiting now on my order of micro mesh pads to finalize.

Thanks again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair