The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-22-2018, 03:35 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Beautiful guitar but I have to say, those "birds" are my favorite part.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

Smile The dragon axe is boss...

I am usually not a fan of fancy FB inlays but I do dig the dragons on this axe!

What a beauty!

Thanks again for sharing with us all

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-23-2018, 06:02 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have completed the woodwork on the Italy bound Black Limba JB-15, and it has got its first pass of sealer on it. I thought it looked good before!!!:

I used Pernambuco on the headplates and heelcap to tie the neck to the body aesthetically. Because the guitar is headed for Europe, I used no rosewood, nor any shell. The logo is wood:

Old 07-23-2018, 06:47 PM

I agree, just the sealer darkened it enough to really bring out the character and contrasts in that wood! Beautiful and the Italians love beautiful things!
Old 07-24-2018, 07:27 AM

I saw the sealed picture on my tablet yesterday and thought it looks nice. On a real monitor today it looks really nice.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
I saw the sealed picture on my tablet yesterday and thought it looks nice. On a real monitor today it looks really nice.
Pretty as it is, I am going to have to blur it a bit by putting porefiller in it. I had hoped not to, but the pore are honkin’ big and not just a few, either.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
Pretty as it is, I am going to have to blur it a bit by putting porefiller in it. I had hoped not to, but the pore are honkin’ big and not just a few, either.
I have four sets of Black Limba, not as nice as this one mind you. Two of them might show well and I picked up a pretty piece of Black Limba for the neck. I think after I get my current plane jane guitars finished I might take the time and build a showy guitar. I can't remember what you use for pore filler, you have mentioned it before, something-pac? I hope it doesn't blur it too much, will you be coloring it, mind you I could wait and see.
Old 07-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

like those dragons!
Old 07-24-2018, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

So Bruce, what does black limba sound like? As good as P...which is killer per the guitar you built for me. Fundamentalish? Dry? Overtony? Insert other words... I know it is super hard to describe tone, however, you are seasoned in these matters.
Old 07-25-2018, 11:07 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
So Bruce, what does black limba sound like? As good as P...which is killer per the guitar you built for me. Fundamentalish? Dry? Overtony? Insert other words... I know it is super hard to describe tone, however, you are seasoned in these matters.
There are many ways for a guitar to sound great.

Pernambuco sounds great, when is does, because it has a penetrating purity with a near perfect balance of fundamental and overtone, creating a tonal palette that can be manipulated by a skilled player in an unusually broad spectrum. IMO, of course.

While Pernambuco is one of the hardest woods I’ve used, Black Limba is one of the softest. There is far more to a woods tonal potential than its hardness or stiffness. The one Limba guitar I have made had unusual qualities. It had the kind of musical friendliness that I associate with mahogany, but with a fat tone in the individual notes that is more reminiscent of of larger guitars in rosewood, Madi in particular. In recordings I have made, it has several times happened that I’ll hear a cut on which the guitar sound slays me, and on checking I will find that it was the Limba I used for the track. When I did sell it, it was a recording that clinched the deal.

That was years ago now, and who knows what part time has played in the memories, but I none the less have great expectations for the current Black Limba project.

It occurs to me that the “Tree” guitar I am taking to Vancouver in a couple of weeks also has a tone which is on the fat side side of my more typical mahogany results. I have been trying to keep it in the case so as to maintain its perfection, but it has come out a few time to show it off, and it too is seeming pretty special.
Old 07-25-2018, 02:29 PM
AGF Sponsor

Yesterday I took Linda and Laurelyn and Josh to "The Concord Pavilion" where we got VIP treatment in exchange for hand delivering guitars to both Ben McKee and Wayne Sermon of "Imagine Dragons" at their gig. I finally got to see their show and what an extravaganza that was! I had never before seen a really big modern Rock show, and we all had a great time. I could spend a lot of time trying to describe it, but instead will simply recommend it. Great family entertainment, but bring ear plugs.

Ben got my latest and greatest JB-15, which I documented in this thread. Wayne bought my 6 piece back BRW classical off the shelf. Not on a whim, apparently, and he played on it quite credibly while we hung out back stage.

Here is Ben's first look:

And here is Ben still speechless:

Here is Wayne wasting no time on first seeing his:

And still going while Elliot (Keys) looks over Ben's JB:

These are hardworking fellows, and have created a truly remarkable band. I am proud to know them!
Old 07-25-2018, 04:55 PM
AGF Sponsor

Laurelyn just sent me a photo she took which I really like, and not just because I happen to appear in it, either:
Old 07-25-2018, 05:17 PM

Wow Bruce what an awesome thing to have done and to get back stage and hang out holy cow!!! I am so glad you're getting all this preliminary work done so you can focus on the most important guitar of your life.
Old 07-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Mr. Sexauer,
I am in awe of your craftsmanship and attention to detail. I can only imagine what your instruments sound like.

Please pardon my ignorance but I have one question. Early in this build, you show the guitar body before the back is installed and I noticed the braces (vertical pieces spanning the width of the side pieces) along the sides seem to be a black material with some sort of logo. On my Gibson, these braces are made of wood. What are yours made from?

Thank you for your time and sharing photos of your beautiful guitars.

PJ
Old 07-25-2018, 06:01 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photojeep View Post
Mr. Sexauer,
I am in awe of your craftsmanship and attention to detail. I can only imagine what your instruments sound like.

Please pardon my ignorance but I have one question. Early in this build, you show the guitar body before the back is installed and I noticed the braces (vertical pieces spanning the width of the side pieces) along the sides seem to be a black material with some sort of logo. On my Gibson, these braces are made of wood. What are yours made from?

Thank you for your time and sharing photos of your beautiful guitars.

PJ
I see no reason for braces on the sides of a guitar, and at least one good reason not to have them. If they are glued on, the long grain of the brace is 90 degrees to the long grain of the sides, and any changes in humidity will create stresses which can (and do) lead to cracked sides and/or loose braces. What you are looking at is polyfiber ribbon HHG'd to the sides with the goal of keeping a crack from running the length of the sides, should a crack occur.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop