The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 10-19-2018, 03:34 AM
Charter Member

Me? My interests and activities seem to have been begun and ended by serious illnesses and lesser life challenges, rather than intended directions.

After childhood septicemia damaged my lungs I have had to be careful of catching colds/flu as they have turned into pneumonia too many times.

Preparing and exercising my lungs probably prepared them for singing, but I didn't investigate that option until much later.

I'm not sure what peritonitis in my early teens did for me, but I still managed to became a pretty good drummer drummer which extended into the early '70s.

In '73 I "got lucky" - recruited by IBM enabling me to earn enough to support my "habit" - buying an selling acoustic guitars. I was in West London and so it was a good location for this.

In 1983, I developed a form of Sarcoidosis that caused all my joints to seize up so , it seemed, my playing/performing days were over.

I had started thinking about photography (encouraged by work frinds) and so spent hospital time reading photog mags. Once able to walk (stagger) I would take camera gear into nearby woods where I could sit/lie/rest/weep when the pain was too much in private.

As health slowly improved over ten years, I became a pretty good photographer and printer, joined clubs, started on in IBM, and won Associateship of the Royal Photog society and finally got International gold medal.

1993 - left IBM and lost access to my darkroom so gave up photography but stayed on the club circuit giving lectures and judging competitions.

Took up guitar again, and relearned to play and sing.

Also left IBM which led to being out of work for much of three years, during which I let off steam by mountain biking (local hill country) until 1996 when I had a bad fall smashing up left shoulder and (incidentally) head).

1998 - traveled to USA and did some gigs on east coast.

Ran a trio and a bluegrass band. Did fairly well, made second solo album, no label, "non commercial" encouraged by friends of Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt. Sold quite well = mostly in the US.

2004. Grandson wanted to spend time with me and expressed desire to grow vegetables (wha?) so I rented an allotment - a small piece of land rented from local council for express purpose of growing food - an ancient British custom), and found that I loved the magic of making stuff grow.

2004/5 Travelled to Texas and south west - California to New Mexico, Mecico, to Texas. etc. Played one Texas festival.

2006. Heart started giving out, three stents, long recovery including old folks (like me) walking around a room lifting feathers, which progressed to gym work - which , again I found I really liked. (Joined AGF as something to do whilst recuperating).

2007 retired from work and rented a second larger allotment (formerly a jungle) and designed and built full plot from scratch.

Started my own club - still going.

2012 - started making videos on YouTube

2017 - Cancer.

2018 - Back to gym work to regain lost strength. Started working to get voice back.
So it goes.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:14 AM

I play golf daily when it's warm enough, and a fair amount when it's not. Guitar, banjo and photography in the winter.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:18 AM

I play drums, and I've been pretty active for the past 25 years.

Hence my username:

Pork Pie USA Custom

Pork Pie USA Custom

Ludwig Centennial (this is my "beater" kit that I take whenever the playing environment is questionable, like playing outside in December on hay.)

Ones I no longer own:

PDP CX series

Pearl Session series (with Mario wrap I had made and put on myself)

Basix in birch

Sonor Bop kit

Tama Rockstars - This was my first drum set. It sits on a shelf now, but I'll never get rid of it.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 AM
AGF Sponsor

I am the wife so I've been the follower/supporter for the past 36 years.

My husband had changed interests many times in the past. Just a few, but in no special order are:

Competing in pool (table) tournaments
Competing in Enduro and Motocross races
Gardening
Recumbent biking
Camping
Building trailers
Remodeling a rag top Chevelle
Racing remote control cars (national competitions)
Building on to our house
Building our wood shop for guitars
Rose bushes
Golf
And finally building guitars in that wood shop!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I’ve been an avid skier since age 5. Starting to explore backcountry skiing.

Started surfing in high school, and still find it a transcendent activity.

Took up mountain biking a few years ago and it’s currently my main form of exercise.

I’ve been doing photography off and on (mostly off) sine the days of watching my father in his darkroom magically turn paper, light, and chemicals into images.

Along the way I’ve raced road bikes, scuba-dived, taken up rock-climbing, played football, wrestled, played soccer, enjoyed basketball, ultimate frisbee, golf, and Aussie rules football among many other things.

Guitar came in my 30s and has been a wonderful addition.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:08 AM

Wow, great stories and thank you all for sharing. It really gives insight into the person beyond seeing posts about guitar only. It's crazy how each of us can go back through the decades and see time blocks assosiated with certain passions/hobbies. I am blessed to have to wonderful boys (young men now of 18 and 21) who started playing guitar together in 2008 and I soon followed them. They took lessons and I noodled and youtubed my way along. I am far from a virtuoso and am a couch player but do love it. Today is Friday and my usual afternoon golf day. Auditioning my new set of irons today and we'll see how it plays out! Happy Friday to all of you. Gary.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:16 PM

Besides playing drums, I've had the most financial success playing the hammered dulcimer. I got really burned out on it several years ago, and I really wish I would "will myself" into being excited about it again.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Besides playing drums, I've had the most financial success playing the hammered dulcimer. I got really burned out on it several years ago, and I really wish I would "will myself" into being excited about it again.
Awesome drums!
Old 10-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Awesome drums!
Thanks!

It's cheaper than therapy.
Old 10-19-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
Thanks!

It's cheaper than therapy.
My excuse for my 80s guitar fetish....
Old 10-19-2018, 02:31 PM
AGF Sponsor

I always liked the drums. My brother gave me his bongos. My mom wanted to clobber him. Go figure!

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 10-19-2018, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
I always liked the drums. My brother gave me his bongos. My mom wanted to clobber him. Go figure!
See, it runs in the family!
Old 10-19-2018, 07:35 PM

Only three things ever stuck to me that identified who I am.

1. Music: Started with Clarinet then Bass Clarinet in my school boy days, moved to guitar in my late teens and at 54 started playing drums.
2. Bicycles: Started racing at 16. quit for a while...picked it back up in the mid 90's raced for many more years. Quit racing after a horrific training crash in '06. Did race promotion since late 90's, officiated after I stopped racing. Chief Ref, Moto Ref, etc. One of my best memories is getting a UCI license so I could drive the team car for our women's pro team competing in Philly back in '11. You havn't lived as a cyclist until you've gone up Manayunk Wall in a pro race caravan. My 2nd best memories is all the legal hooliganism i got away with as a moto ref on the many pro races I worked in the Mid-Atlantic region on my Ducati ST4s. I was doing stuff on that bike that would get me arrested in all 50 states if i weren't blasting around on closed city streets Forget Harley's...A dry clutch and a Desmo 4v engine with Arrow carbon fiber & Ti exhausts banging off city buildings is an awesome sound. There was a time also when I used my Porsche 928 as a pace car for many races too. It was cool to be in a race when one of my buddies was driving the car. Discouraged by the whole scene in '12 walked away from it all and just ride for myself to keep fit and have fun.
3. Swimming Pool Designer & Builder. I've been in the pool business since i was 21 years old. I am 55. This vocation pays for 1 & 2.

Aside from family nothing else really matters.

Last edited by Johnny K; 10-19-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
My excuse for my 80s guitar fetish....
Louie, dude!!!!! I love those guitars!
Old 10-19-2018, 08:57 PM

I might as well fess up. So......I am also a cage fighter. A super model. Wine connoisseur. A member of Mensa. Pilot. Bodybuilder. Medical professional. Race car driver on the outer belt. Accomplished heavy metal guitarist. I mean the list goes on, but it would just be bragging.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic