The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-18-2018, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Yes I have considered the ID22 and now there is a 44 as well. Besides the touted better preamps ....a feature that these two have, that is not available in other interfaces in this price range, is to insert a hard piece into the chain before hitting the DAW. It has In's and outs for two channels.
This really appeals to my old school way of doing things. In the days when we always inserted a compressor before the Tape. Very, very appealing feature for myself. As this is not possible with most other interfaces.
However, the one thing that holds me back on the Audient is that some claim the Audient converters are not up to par with some of the newer interfaces such as Antelope Audio Discrete 4.While with the Antelope you can not insert hard wired compressors..I believe it has the unique ability to insert a plug in compressor before DAW. Yet I like the Audient's simplicity and individual controls and where the Antelope is one knob for everything.
Out of curiosity, has any of you experimented with Tube preamps? Does anyone feel that Tube preamps offer something more with acoustic guitars.
I felt the Audient converters were very detailed when I heard them.

I have some tube pres and some solid state pres. I wouldn't always say one is better than the other. Each one has it's own sound.

I will say my least favorite preamp I've ever used was a TubeTech. Not a cheap piece of gear. When I owned a commercial studio we had a lot of gear. Some I loved, some I hated...and a whole lot of it fell between the two. The TubeTech just had nothing I would want from a tube pre...or even a solid state pre. Just did not like it one bit. Clients liked to see it, so we kept it. It probably paid for itself just by helping close the deal with clients...even though I never touched it during a session.

That said, one of the pieces I loved and have kept all these years is an old JoeMeek VC2 tube pre. Super open and very "big" sounding when you push it. It's my goto vocal pre.

My favorite acoustic guitar pre is, by far, an API.

On another note: if you're looking to insert EQs & compressors before they hit the converters...you're better off with a good channel strip style preamp, or a small console. It gives you greater flexibility to go with an interface based on conversion quality and not worry about it's preamp (or go with a line level interface like a Metric Halo LIO8).

Like everything, this could get complicated & expensive fast.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-18-2018, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
For what it's worth, my experience is that of the recording chain aspect, what matters most is the room acoustics and mic placement. Everything else is minor in comparison, even tho there are differences.
If we're being really honest, what matters most is the player. Second, the engineer.

As always: it's the carpenter, not the tools.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-18-2018, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DupleMeter View Post
If we're being really honest, what matters most is the player. Second, the engineer.

As always: it's the carpenter, not the tools.
And the preferences and ear of the listener.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-18-2018, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

Regarding preamps and individual components I heartily recommend checking out the preamps of the companies I use.

Great River
http://www.greweb.com/mp-2nv.html

NPNG
http://www.npngproducts.com/Page_1.html

Also I use a AD converter made by Mytek
https://mytekdigital.com/professional/

Begins to add up.

Also do some room acoustic treatment.

Last edited by rick-slo; 10-18-2018 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Regarding preamps and individual components I heartily recommend checking out the preamps of the companies I use.

Great River
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCdS...i7r4f9LVv-yH7w
I use the same Great River preamp as you, but this link doesn't seem to be to anything useful. Maybe something like:

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/...-preamp-376399
Old 10-18-2018, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I use the same Great River preamp as you, but this link doesn't seem to be to anything useful. Maybe something like:

https://www.mixonline.com/recording/...-preamp-376399
Changed the link to Great River's website.

Old 10-18-2018, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Changed the link to Great River's website.
Among my mic pre collection, I have 4 channels of the original Great River MP series and 1 of the NV series. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 10-19-2018, 12:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRuskin View Post
Among my mic pre collection, I have 4 channels of the original Great River MP series and 1 of the NV series. You can't go wrong with either.
Rick, heard about Great River from you and bought a Great River MP-2H from you a number of years back.

Old 10-19-2018, 07:23 AM
Charter Member

Since the thread has been moving in the preamp direction for a while I'll also mention that I've found a few models that work really nice for my use and for what I like to hear. My pair of Speck single channel preamps are solid state, very clean, have an adjustable high pass filter, and the output stage can be switched to either the Jensen transformer or a solid state output. I recently picked up a used Gordon; it doesn't have the flexibility in its feature set like the Speck, but it is an extremely clean, transparent, and detailed solid state preamp.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 10-19-2018 at 07:56 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I think I forgot to mention the Gefell M296 omni with nickel membrane.

Pretty amazing sound on guitar and vocal from that puppy.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Your reviews, and critique provided by some members of the AGF forum and another forum, persuaded me to get a pair of M296S. Have to deal with the difficulties of Omni mics in a home recording environment, but they are wonderful for acoustic guitars.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 10-19-2018 at 07:54 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Rick, heard about Great River from you and bought a Great River MP-2H from you a number of years back.
Glad to hear you are still happy with it.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:19 PM

There are so many good pres out there. It's all a matter of personal choice & budget.

I like to hear some transformer in my pres...so I tend to lean to the classics: API, Neve, SSL (prefer an E to a G for acoustic)...but those might not be within your budget. When I want super clean I use the pres on my Metric Halo ULN8. They're "Millenia clean", if you know what I mean.

The Daking pres are exceptional. They sound like an old Trident A Series. And they're about $1k cheaper than a comparable API or Neve.

A cheap pre that sounds really good on acoustic guitar is the old ART Pro MPA...but only the ones from when they were being made in NY. They were loosely based on the ADL custom preamps from the late '90s/early 2000s. You can pick one up for under $200. They have "Rochester, NY" stamped on the back of them.

Working in studios most of my life, I have had the benefit of hearing almost everything that has been made and getting hands on experience with them. So I've formed some pretty strong opinions on what I like & don't like.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
2019 Fender Tele
Old 10-19-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:
There are so many good pres out there. It's all a matter of personal choice & budget.

I like to hear some transformer in my pres...so I tend to lean to the classics: API, Neve, SSL (prefer an E to a G for acoustic)...but those might not be within your budget. When I want super clean I use the pres on my Metric Halo ULN8. They're "Millenia clean", if you know what I mean.

The Daking pres are exceptional. They sound like an old Trident A Series. And they're about $1k cheaper than a comparable API or Neve.

A cheap pre that sounds really good on acoustic guitar is the old ART Pro MPA...but only the ones from when they were being made in NY. They were loosely based on the ADL custom preamps from the late '90s/early 2000s. You can pick one up for under $200. They have "Rochester, NY" stamped on the back of them.

Working in studios most of my life, I have had the benefit of hearing almost everything that has been made and getting hands on experience with them. So I've formed some pretty strong opinions on what I like & don't like.
The FMR Audio RNP is a great little unit. Street price is about $475 for a 2-channel unit. I had a client who swore by them for everything including his old RCA 44BX ribbon.
Old 10-19-2018, 11:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

This is wonderful information...as this is something that I could easily afford and gets me into a the Tube pre to experiment with...Nice to have alternatives.
What about the company that mods the Art? are you
familiar with that.
http://www.reviveaudio.com/index.php...product_id=197
Old 10-20-2018, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
This is wonderful information...as this is something that I could easily afford and gets me into a the Tube pre to experiment with...Nice to have alternatives.
What about the company that mods the Art? are you
familiar with that.
http://www.reviveaudio.com/index.php...product_id=197
If you're looking for pre recommendations (depending on budget) Besides the excellent ones mentioned so far I would also suggest looking into A Designs as well.
I have their Tube MP2A which in my opinion is an excellent tube pre as it is somewhat the best of both worlds in that is relatively un-colored but still gives that Tube depth and presence. Also A Designs "Pacifica" is highly regarded as an excellent top rated Solid state pre and they make some of the best instrument pre amp DI in the industry. They are also very reasonably priced for boutique class equipment

http://adesignsaudio.com/home

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD