The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-02-2018, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

Default Nylon strings for tenor guitar tuned to GDAE

I'm looking in to a Pono, BN-20 DSB, Baritone/Tenor Guitar with 23" scale. It comes tuned to DGBE, Chicago Tuning, but I want to tune it in 5ths to GDAE. Can any of you help me determine if it can be done in a playable way and if so what size nylon strings to use. Thank you!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:12 PM

You might want to ask this question over on the Classical subforum, but given the short scale length and chosen tuning IMO you'll probably be using something similar to what an 8- or 10-string classical uses for sub-bass strings on that bottom G. That said, unless your instrument is specifically built for nylon strings I'm curious why you don't go with something like the John Pearse 450L "Irish Tenor" set - if yours is a good-quality instrument (Ponos are ) and properly set up (speak to your tech) it shouldn't be any harder on the fingers than a Chicago set, and you'll pick up a bunch of tone/volume in the process (IME an absolute necessity once the refreshments start flowing and the seisiun picks up steam )...
Old 10-02-2018, 05:15 PM
Charter Member

This particular instrument comes with and is intended for nylon strings. But, it comes with DGBE and I just want it in 5ths, GDAE. thanks
Old 10-03-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
This particular instrument comes with and is intended for nylon strings. But, it comes with DGBE and I just want it in 5ths, GDAE. thanks
GDAE on my bouzar (a hybrid 8-string tenor guitar/bouzouki with a 23" scale) would work with unison pairs of 042, 029, 018 and 012 gauges (phosphor bronze) so you might try the 5th, 4th, 2nd and 1st strings of a normal tension set then adjust to light or hard for individual strings as needed. Consider that a standard tuned classical guitar (EADGBE) with a 25.5" scale so the 5th and 2nd strings should work at G and A with a shorter scale, the 4th and 1st strings from a normal tension set might be too tight and need a light tension replacement. Make sense?

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-04-2018, 03:12 AM

Hi Arktrav

As Phil says, the easiest source is to use four stings from a six string guitar set which is E2 A3 D3 G3 B4 E4.

Going from standard 25.5" scale down to 22/23" scale will give a string slightly lower tension (floppier). If you need to regain tension go to a "hard" or "extra hard" set.

GDAE can be:
- option 1 - G3 D4 A5 E5 like the mandolin and violin
- option 2 - G2 D3 A4 E4 an octave lower

Option 2 is easiest and recommended because all strings including the E4 string are within a standard guitar set:

- From a regular tension guitar set I would start with: E2 tightened to G2, D3 as D3, G3 tightened to A4, E4 as E4.

- Since the D3 and E4 are not tightened, they may be OK or they may be a bit slack. If slack try the equiv from a harder set.

For option 1 the limiting factor will be the need to find a workable E5 string:

- E5 is a full octave higher than the E4 guitar string, and a half octave higher than the G4/3 C4 E4 A5 ukulele (17" scale tenor uke). This means much thinner string than a uke A5 so using a uke A5 is not practical.

- For balanced tone and feel the E5 string should be the same material (nylon or fluorocarbon) as the chosen guitar set.

- For nylon guitar sets read the thickness spec for the E4 string and try thinner nylon fishing leader or line until you get a good tone and feel without breakage.

- For fluorocarbon leader again read the thickness spec for E4 and then try thinner gauges of fishing leader to get good tone and feel without breakage. Perhaps 25# 0.43ish mm, or 30# 0.52ish mm, or thinner (slight thickness variations amongst brands).

- With E5 solved then try: G3 as G3, if too slack find a harder G3 or try D3 stretched to G3; B4 stretched to D4; E4 stretched to A5.

Cheers.

Last edited by casualmusic; 10-04-2018 at 03:22 AM.
Old 10-04-2018, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Thank you all so much! "casualmusic", I would definitely go for option 2 and want to be (in effect) a nylon octave mandolin in nylon. thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments