The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 AM
Charter Member

In case the OP missed my first post, I'll repeat...

1) Your strap is too thick. Try another strap with a single-layer of leather at the end.
2) The standard-size hole in a strap is too small to properly fit an endpin-jack - visibly so in your photos. Widen it using a 3/8" leather-punch (I've heard of guys using a spent cartridge-case to do this, but I know zip about guns so I haven't a clue about the calibre they used).

Messing around with the endpin-jack isn't the answer - fix those two easily-fixable things, leave the jack as it should be, and you're golden.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 10-19-2018 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
In case the OP missed my first post, I'll repeat...

1) Your strap is too thick. Try another strap with a single-layer of leather at the end.
2) The standard-size hole in a strap is too small to properly fit an endpin-jack - visibly so in your photos. Widen it using a 3/8" leather-punch (I've heard of guys using a spent cartridge-case to do this, but I know zilch about guns so I haven't a clue about the calibre they used).

Messing around with the endpin-jack isn't the answer - fix those two easily-fixable things, leave the jack as it should be, and you're golden.

Looks like a strap problem to me as well. I'd shop for a new strap that fits the endpin jack or as suggested alter the existing strap to make it work. Looking at the thickness of the strap, though, I'd be inclined to get a new one.

I bought a single layer leather strap at my local Guitar Center that would easily fit the pictured endpin jack. $20-$24 I believe. I'm not sure what brand it is.
Old 10-19-2018, 07:05 AM

what about enlarging the strap hole to fit and using an additional rubber washer strap lock to ensure it stays in place?
Old 10-19-2018, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyRacc00n View Post
Yes, it has electronics. I tried your suggestion but not enough sticking out from the screw to catch on. And on the nut, thread doesn’t start until about half way in. So I would need a lot more of the screw sticking out after the strap has gone on. Good idea, but doesn’t work in my case.
Flip the nut around. It will work. I've bee doing it this way for years...
Old 10-19-2018, 09:17 PM

The amount by which the jack projects from the outside surface of the guitar is usually controlled by a washer and threaded nut on the inside of the guitar that abuts the end block. Usually, the projection of the jack is set so that the threaded ring on the outside is flush with the end of the jack, as yours is.

One should be able to loosen the nut on the inside and allow the jack to project further out of the end pin hole. If you aren't sure how to do that, take it to a professional. Likely, the charge to make that adjustment will be nominal.
Old 10-20-2018, 02:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dotneck View Post
Flip the nut around. It will work. I've bee doing it this way for years...
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
The amount by which the jack projects from the outside surface of the guitar is usually controlled by a washer and threaded nut on the inside of the guitar that abuts the end block. Usually, the projection of the jack is set so that the threaded ring on the outside is flush with the end of the jack, as yours is.

One should be able to loosen the nut on the inside and allow the jack to project further out of the end pin hole. If you aren't sure how to do that, take it to a professional. Likely, the charge to make that adjustment will be nominal.
Not trying to provoke an incident here, but it doesn't solve the problem - or, more accurately, it 'kinda' does, but it's a bodge. The problem isn't with the endpin-jack, it's with the strap, which is too thick, and the hole in the strap is too small for it to fit properly in the groove of the outside ring. And with the 'reverse the ring' thing, the strap can't be easily removed after playing. The best solution is a thinner strap and a correctly sized hole.

His...

AD0E1EF6-4723-40C8-8F47-2F9D857EF382.jpg

My correctly skived and punched Sully's strap...

5F3C2943-1405-4678-AA58-52A2F289D3EE.jpg

My Lowden-branded strap...

E175563A-218C-4AAB-9EB8-47970EB6042C.jpg

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 10-20-2018 at 03:23 AM. Reason: Corrections to grammar and punctuation.
Old 10-20-2018, 03:11 AM
Charter Member

The Op's guitar has a standard jack plug endpin.

Two of my dreads and one of my 12 string and my mandolin have this fitting.

I make my own straps and use mostly 4 m/m thick hide straps. I make the pin holes at both ends with a 1/2" hole punch then cut a keyway about 3/4" from it and punch a smaller hole.

Then I burn away the edges and the corners of the keyway with a small soldering iron and then the straps will fit easily on these endpins and also the usual fit pins as usually supplied.

If you don't use the electrics in the guitar, you can remove them and replace the endpin with a Larrivee style metal endpin designed for parallel holes.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBee1404 View Post
The best solution is a thinner strap and a correctly sized hole.
Seems so, yes.
Old 10-20-2018, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

The D'addario Cinch fit solves all these problems and works great. It will hold onto the Gibson end pin and works with the thickest strap you can find. They sell for about $10. I like them better than the Tapastring as there is no lock ring to deal with. Simple. Problem solved. No alteration to guitar or strap.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion