The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-27-2024, 08:39 AM
Charter Member

Default The sensational Martin Super D

Have no idea why they discontinued it. I guess Martin folks are fixed on tradition and maybe a little averse to change. (I speak as a lifelong Martin fanboy.)

Over the years, I’ve owned all of the well-known Martins, up to a recent D 45. Each has been wonderful in its own way. I’m a big fan of the Martin forward-shifted sound, which heightens the bass response in a decidedly pre-war way.

The Super D comes in two versions: koa backed and Guatemalan rosewood backed. The koa is akin to milk chocolate and the rosewood to dark.

The koa in particular combines that magical forward-shifted bass thump and warmth with milky mids and sweet trebles. But everything delivered with clarity.

It’s a Goldilocks Martin. For the sake of Martin lovers who may have been slow to try it (like me), I hope they will de-discontinue it.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 02-27-2024, 02:12 PM

I haven't tried one, but I sure like what I hear in peoples demonstrations.

I bit of a bummer that they are discontinuing them.
Old 02-27-2024, 03:18 PM
Charter Member

The ones I’ve played sounded great. There are probably multiple reasons why they didn’t sell well, but sound and build quality weren’t among them. With street prices over $4k, and availability only through Custom Shop Epxpert dealers, Martin was limiting the pool of prospective buyers. While there is a market for guitars that are bigger than a dreadnought—(super) jumbos in particular—Martin has never had much success going up against Gibson, Gretsch or even Taylor. A super-sized dreadnought didn’t seem to be the answer. It will be interesting to see if Martin ever reintroduces the Super D at a different price point in less expensive woods (e.g., mahogany, EIR, etc.). With all the other new models flying around, that seems doubtful.
Old 02-28-2024, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinistral View Post
There are probably multiple reasons why they didn’t sell well, but sound and build quality weren’t among them.
Nope. Tried both versions at Rudy's in NY. Sound was the reason I didn't purchase one.
Old 02-28-2024, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biosphere View Post
Nope. Tried both versions at Rudy's in NY. Sound was the reason I didn't purchase one.
Rudy's kept theirs with old funky heavy strings and high action. The RW version sounded like mud. Despite not keeping it in prime shape, their koa one was clearly wonderful and only became more wonderful when I found clean, well-setup version at Wildwood Guitars.

Those Rudy's guitars are not a representative sample, unfortunately.
Breedlove Ed Gerhard Exotic (Brazilian/Red Spruce)
Brad Goodman J-200 (Engelmann/Quilted Maple)
Taylor 326CE 8-string Baritone
1960s Guild M-20 (Nick Drake guitar)
Old 02-28-2024, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

I'm in the didn't like the tone camp too, I thought it maybe a great solution for acoustic only jams but it didn't really have the projection and the tone was just OK .
I tried the Guatemalan version at Music Villa. Very fresh strings and a well humidified and maintained new instrument . ( My first time at Music Villa and my impression was they're a class act)
I much preferred the D 28, D18 and authentics I tried that day.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion