The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-20-2024, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I have very inconsistent luck with that G7 "sawtooth" capo. When it works (which is not most of the time for me) it's great. Others (some here in this thread already) have different experiences with it, and I can't figure out what's odd about my 12-strings or what I might be doing wrong.
I think the issue might be the different fretboard radius on different guitars.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:11 PM

Default trigger

I've tried just about everything out there, and have returned to the Dunlop trigger. For slightly better contact accuracy I filed a shallow slot for the large E string, and have practiced getting it positioned on that e string with a bit of a rolling motion before I let the clamp down. I also make sure its fairly close behind the fret, and a tweak or two usually gets me good intonation and all strings ringing clear.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:56 PM

I own a couple of 12 strings, and use Shubb 12 string capos on them. I’ve never had any problems with them. As previously mentioned, the key thing is to make sure that you get a Shubb 12 string capo, and not try to make do with a Shubb 6 string capo.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-21-2024, 01:40 AM

My goal is to use the capo without needing retuning. I had a Guild F212 that worked with lots of different capos - including all options suggested above. My current Furch and J45 work best with the G7th Heritage, Paige ETI, or D’Addario yoke style (the D’Addario has to be at the fret). The G7th Newport is OK with some loss of tone. The Dunlop Pivot is pretty good - sometimes the A buzzes.

If spacing is a problem, the ETI might work. Just move the plastic pieces to the right spot for 2nd and 3rd fret and carefully apply the capo for other positions.

Other random thoughts: the Thalia can work with the Octave Touch pads. I also put a soft spacer on the side that clamps to the neck to increase pressure.

A Shubb works sometimes but requires retuning. I replace the pad with thick soft latex tubing:

https://a.co/d/2MgIqFt

The D’Addario Pro Plus provides even clamping and good intonation and would be a winner, but it pushes the octaves together, so the strings buzz against each other from side to side. For better adjustment, I replaced the thumb screw with an all metal thumb screw from the first version NS capo.
Furch D24 SR 12 string
Rickenbacker 330w 6 string
Old 02-21-2024, 04:19 AM
Charter Member

I have two 12 string guitars : a 1964 Martin D12-20 which was rebuilt by Martin 1998, and considerably modified with X35 trim and had an adjustable truss rod installed, and a rebuilt Harmony H1270 (2" nut).

The Harmony is more accurate, but I tendvto use the Martin more.
Both have worked with Shubb12 string capos for some time but Last year (I think) Sir Robin of Wales sent me his D'addario Cradle capo which I have found works very well on the 1 & 7/8 nut width Martin,although it would never be used higher than the 4th fret.

I use Ej37 strings tuned DGCFAD (1 tone down).
I'm not saying this is the answer for all, but it really works for me.
Old 02-21-2024, 08:49 AM

One more upvote for the Shubb. I use an S3V Deluxe on my Taylor 652ce Builders Edition, and am delighted with it. Goes on in an instant, and even better, the guitar stays in tune before, during and after use.

Old 02-22-2024, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmoretti49 View Post
I think the issue might be the different fretboard radius on different guitars.
Yes, that's part of it. I often find it hard to get all the strings cleanly set on the frets without over-pressing some -- the same thing the sawtooth is designed to eliminate. But the other issue is that the location of the saw-tooth "teeth" have to match the string spacing of the guitar.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 02-22-2024, 06:38 PM

12 string capo options

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
Yes, that's part of it. I often find it hard to get all the strings cleanly set on the frets without over-pressing some -- the same thing the sawtooth is designed to eliminate. But the other issue is that the location of the saw-tooth "teeth" have to match the string spacing of the guitar.
Frank,

I won't discount the radius issue as the problem out of hand, but my G7th 'sawtooth' capo works great with all four of my 12 string guitars. What they all have in common is a nut/neck width of 1+7/8", and the radius on each neck feels about the same. Taylor tends to use a standard size neck width throughout their line for 12 string guitars, and the same may be true of Guilds. (I have 2 of each).

Or maybe it's a combination of the two things.

Be well and play well,

Don
06 Alvarez AJ60S englmn/mpl lam med Jmbo
14 Taylor 818e sitka/rosewood Grand Orchestra
05 Taylor 512ce L10 all mahogany Grand Concert
09 Taylor all walnut Jmbo
16 Taylor 412e-R sitka/rw GC
16 Taylor 458e-R s/rw 12 string GO
21 Epiphone IBG J-200 sitka/maple Jmbo
22 Guild F-1512 s/rw 12 string Jmbo
Old 02-22-2024, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz761 View Post
I'm struggling with my G7th Newport 12-string capo and was wondering if anyone had any good experiences with other options to share. The G7 has the staggered bar but it just doesn't work well on my 12-string, which is a '94 Guild D4-12 with a big 1-13/16" neck (feels bigger but what do I know)...
My wife has one of these that she uses on three different 12-strings (Rainsong JM3000, Guild Starfire IV-12, Ovation USA Elite) and in our experience there's a bit of learning curve involved, as they're sensitive to both horizontal (across the fingerboard) and lateral (within the given fret) placement, but once you learn to find the sweet spot they will stay in tune without buzzing. As far as the Guild is concerned you're absolutely right - I have a late-80's JF30-12 with the double truss-rod neck, only slightly thinner than a telephone pole - and interestingly enough, the only thing that works for me (YMMV) is the old Dunlop Professional toggle capo with the adjustable strap: cheap, dependable, infinitely adjustable for tension, on-and-off in seconds (not the case with the G7), plays in tune when properly adjusted, and lasts nearly forever (I have some approaching 50 years old that show no signs of quitting); even if you get the G7 to work I'd still give one of these a try, and if you gig heavily and/or attend a lot of open jams where the loss of a (relatively) expensive capo is a real possibility I wouldn't go without one...
Old 02-28-2024, 08:36 AM
Charter Member

I got the Shubb and it works reasonably well. Due to the thickness of the neck on my Guild, the capo is at its maximum opening...which is surprising. I didn't think the neck was THAT big.
Old 02-28-2024, 08:39 AM

SHUBB 12 string capo is very good ! in fact I like it so much I got one for a 12 fret Dread I own with a wider fret board.

Think I paid a couple of dollars more and got the stainless steel 12 string model . (worth the difference )

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion