The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 05-09-2022, 06:30 PM

Default Overkill Lesson by Men at Work’s Colin Hay

Was learning this simple but lovely Colin Hay song that I wanted to share with you. It’s in drop D and I start where he dies the whole song at once but he takes time to easily reach the whole song.

Do check out his solo stuff as it’s good and I can post links if interested, he’s really a gifted songwriter that was constrained by his Men at Work days.

If you have never seen his other videos, he’s a great story teller and has hilarious videos where goes on extended riffs of Sting and U2s the edge.

https://youtu.be/yWbjnuWU4iQ?t=475
Old 05-09-2022, 06:52 PM

I find this version with a choir incredibly moving for some reason.

Really beautiful.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 05-09-2022, 07:08 PM

Big Colin Hay fan, his solo work is outstanding. Plus the live clips I've seen demonstrate that he's quite a funny man too.
Old 05-09-2022, 07:29 PM

For years I lived in Topanga Canyon and Colin was not only a neighbor but a strong supporter of the community itself. He was often a part of the Topanga Days festival which is a glorious homage to the hippy days of the sixties and entrance is free to anyone who can show their hippy id. I indeed have one. He of course also released a CD called Topanga as tribute to the canyon. As I've said forever Topanga is a very special place and if I win the lotto that's indeed where I'll retire. Colin remains a part of that wonderful community.

We're also kinda blessed as Angeleno's in that for as long as I can remember, at least when he's not on tour, Colin makes a monthly-ish appearance at a local club in West Hollywood called Largo At The Coronet. It's an intimate and wonderful combination of storytelling, humor, and music.

His wit, humor, and musical sensibilities are beyond reproach and over the years has become one of my absolute favorite entertainers. He's one of a kind. If you ever get a chance I guarantee you'll be thoroughly entertained.
Old 05-09-2022, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Really beautiful.

Wow this is great, I have to share this with the fam!

I love when an audience participates, I’ve been to several Rancid (punk/ska/lately goth country and rockabilly) shows and when they do an acoustic song, the audience sings the song for them, it’s a very powerful experience. Two examples below.

https://youtu.be/6cmW2CXztrQ?t=30
https://youtu.be/VsPIoixqp1g?t=58
Old 05-09-2022, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
For years I lived in Topanga Canyon and Colin was not only a neighbor but a strong supporter of the community itself. He was often a part of the Topanga Days festival which is a glorious homage to the hippy days of the sixties and entrance is free to anyone who can show their hippy id. I indeed have one. He of course also released a CD called Topanga as tribute to the canyon. As I've said forever Topanga is a very special place and if I win the lotto that's indeed where I'll retire. Colin remains a part of that wonderful community.

We're also kinda blessed as Angeleno's in that for as long as I can remember, at least when he's not on tour, Colin makes a monthly-ish appearance at a local club in West Hollywood called Largo At The Coronet. It's an intimate and wonderful combination of storytelling, humor, and music.

His wit, humor, and musical sensibilities are beyond reproach and over the years has become one of my absolute favorite entertainers. He's one of a kind. If you ever get a chance I guarantee you'll be thoroughly entertained.
This was a delightful response, thank you Joseph! I’ve wanted to see him for a long long time and just found out he will be near me in June, so I’m going to get tickets. I also come out your way occasionally for summer conferences and I typically rent a car on the back end and do some exploring so you’ve provided me with some new areas to check out.
Old 05-21-2022, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post

Really beautiful.

Yep. Agreed. It's my favourite song of his. I love this version best.

1978 Yamaha FG-331
2020 Recording King ROS-09-TS
2007 Alvarez RF20SM
1936 Supertone 233 "Hawaiian Belle"
1930s Harmony Mandolin

Instagram: new_york_albertan

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN