The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-19-2019, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

Hi Fred,

What a cool story! I've been to the market many times, and often walk out to Church's beach when I want to get away from the "crowds"!

This really is the most special place to me anywhere on the southern New England coast.

The place where time stood still, I like to call it. I'm sure it has changed since your first visit, but it still hearkens back to a simpler time.

Thanks for sharing that...and for reminding me that spring is almost here
Old 03-19-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Hi Fred,

What a cool story! I've been to the market many times, and often walk out to Church's beach when I want to get away from the "crowds"!

This really is the most special place to me anywhere on the southern New England coast.

The place where time stood still, I like to call it. I'm sure it has changed since your first visit, but it still hearkens back to a simpler time.

Thanks for sharing that...and for reminding me that spring is almost here
Thanks, Bob!! It's great to know you have a connection with those spots on the island! My grandson will once again work on the Oyster Bar crew this summer! Till now he's been doing work with the oysters on the W. side of the island a few days a week out there last summer. I think bigger things are ahead this summer.
Yes, indeed....time stands still out there! And I do love it!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Strasburg and Lititz, both in Lancaster County PA - looking to relocate there in the not-too-distant future...

Weird, just went through there a couple days ago.

Anyway, For me, a place called Willoughby. A Quaint little town still stuck in 1888. Rolling hills, stone walls, folks still walk around and talk to one another. Salt box and cape style houses, a general store, no traffic lights, etc.. a place where a man can live his life full measure. There's even a nice crick where there's plenty of room and plenty of fish.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Weird, just went through there a couple days ago.

Anyway, For me, a place called Willoughby. A Quaint little town still stuck in 1888. Rolling hills, stone walls, folks still walk around and talk to one another. Salt box and cape style houses, a general store, no traffic lights, etc.. a place where a man can live his life full measure. There's even a nice crick where there's plenty of room and plenty of fish.
And you didn't stop to say hello . Maybe next time .
Old 03-20-2019, 03:27 PM
Guest 728

These are a few of my favorites:

Glorieta, NM (not even really a town, per se)
Buena Vista, CO
Brevard, NC
Fayetteville, AR
Bisbee, AZ
Old 03-20-2019, 03:53 PM

Kerrville Texas. Hosts the annual Kerrville Folk Festival. Sits right on the Guadalupe River. Has a scaled down replica of Stonehenge. Is located in the Texas Hill Country west of San Antonio. One has to drive very carefully especially at night due to the heavy population of white tail deer. Also near Enchanted Rock (large outcropping of granite). Friendly people.

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 03-20-2019, 06:32 PM

Interesting that most of the towns mentioned are in or near mountains. Not a whole lot of beach towns. I’d agree with that!

Mackinac Island is “small” and beautiful but with all the tourists not sure it is a “small” town. Same with Traverse city, MI.

Lake City, Colorado is a small town with spectacular scenery.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post

For me, a place called Willoughby. A Quaint little town still stuck in 1888.
Rather ghoulish, one must observe.

A town whose name is based on a funeral home--Willoughby & Son.

The poster is obviously stuck in the Twilight Zone.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve View Post
I'm a big-city guy so small town's don't do it for me very long. As small cities go, I really like Bruges Belgium. Great city and people. At 120,000 - that's about as small as I can take very long. I still spend a fair amount of time scuba diving around the world and most places I go are very small towns or countries. If not for the diving, I wouldn't be there.
Wow there's many times above the limit that I could tolerate. For me, it's best to not live in a town. I don't mind being nearish to one, however. the biggest city I ever lived in had 20000, and that just during my undergraduate years - I knew I wouldn't have to stay there.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:25 PM

Default Small towns you like

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inyo View Post
Rather ghoulish, one must observe.

A town whose name is based on a funeral home--Willoughby & Son.

The poster is obviously stuck in the Twilight Zone.

Ok Inyo, you got me, I was wondering who would catch that.

Even so, would love to find that place. "Next time i'm getting off"

Old 03-21-2019, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Buena Vista is making headlines:

http://www.chaffeecountytimes.com/fr...dXnOVFOj1mGsQ0
Old 03-21-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdinterman View Post
Interesting that most of the towns mentioned are in or near mountains. Not a whole lot of beach towns. I’d agree with that!

Mackinac Island is “small” and beautiful but with all the tourists not sure it is a “small” town. Same with Traverse city, MI.

Lake City, Colorado is a small town with spectacular scenery.
I would agree with that. I live in Qualicum Beach, Canada, and having lived right on the waterfront for a short period of time it can be noisy with tourists, boat motors which you can hear from miles away when the water is smooth like glass during the summertime. Real estate prices have gone through the roof and it’s worth to mention all pollution runs downhill. Up near the mountains and in the hills is where it’s peaceful, the aquifer is pristine and the air is fresh. “Far away from the Madding Crowd” as Thomas Hardy would say.
Old 03-21-2019, 07:52 AM
Guitar Gourmet

As far as town names are concerned, I'm all in for Disputanta, VA, a small, unincorporated community in Prince George County, VA. How did it get its unique name? William Mahone, who built the Norfolk and Petersberg Railway (now Norfolk Southern), was traveling with his wife, Otellia, described as a rare beauty and a strong personality, on the newly completed N&P mainline, the stretch paralleling route 480 between what is now Chesapeake and Petersburg. That line is the longest rail tangent in the United States. His wife was reading Sir Walter Scott's novel, Ivanhoe, and William allowed her to name the prospective towns along the line with names from Scott's novels: Winsdor, Waverly, Wakefield, Ivor (from McIvor), etc. When they got to the community in question, she came out with a name he couldn't abide and wouldn't allow, so she named the town Disputanta, in honor of their disagreement!

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
I lived in Telluride for a few years in the early 80s and spent plenty of time in Ouray (and Silverton and Durango). Beautiful area. Back then, I'd have said Telluride was the nicest of the bunch, but with the expansion of the ski area and the whole Mountain Village development up on the mountain (and the resulting expansion of the town itself), I'd guess it's not anymore. I haven't been back since 2004, but even then it was vastly different than when I lived there. So I'd go for Euray now probably...

Ltitz is nice, but really small. We live the next county over, in West Chester, a town of about 20,000. We've been here for about 27 years now and love the place. Its a county seat and there's a University here, so there's plenty going on, we're an easy train ride to Philly, within 2-3 hours of NYC and DC, but an easy bike ride out into beautiful farm land (within reach of Lititz too, if you're seriously in shape!). I hope to live the rest of my life here...

sunny snow-37-Edit-Edit by Ray, on Flickr

Early Races - Df-388-Edit by Ray, on Flickr
West Chester Snow by Ray, on Flickr
Nice pictures! I particularly like the looks of that cycling event.

My wife and I lived in Valley Forge over 20 years ago and I worked in Malvern and Devon. We went back there recently to visit and look at schools for our autistic son in Berwyn. The area has visibly grown and I wouldn't be surprised if this town gets swallowed up by the Philly Metroplex soon too.

I'd like to go back and reconnect with an old college pal who lives in Phoenixville.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:17 AM
Charter Member

a couple I really like....

Tofino BC...on the west coast of Vancouver island..

...a few miles from my home...Mt Angel, Oregon...known for its beautiful monastery and world class Oktoberfest..

Last edited by J Patrick; 03-21-2019 at 09:24 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic