The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-15-2019, 03:04 PM

Default Bose F1 Model 812 & Sub Question

I see a lot of praise for the L1 Model II, Compact, and S1 Pro’s, but I rarely see people talking about the F1 towers. I heard one a while back and thought it sounded better than the other offerings, so I’m confused as to why I don’t hear much about them anywhere.

Not trying to start a flame more here, I’m just really interested as to why they haven’t taken off like the other systems. The top seems to be a little over 40 pounds and 55 pounds for the sub. That’s not crazy heavy in the world of PA equipment. I doubt that would be much of a deterrent to some.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-15-2019, 03:12 PM

The Bose F1 is a front of house system, not a "behind the performer" all-in-one system.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

After reading about the F1 and checking out all the various configurations, it appeared to me to be more of a "fixed installation" type unit... with all the weight it carries, I certainly don't see using it as a PA to haul around... WAY too heavy for this old man!

Also seems it would be ideal for a speaker to use addressing an auditorium or some such... possibly for a DJ, as well.

I've never heard one in person.

"The Cape" (Guy Clark/Jim Janowsky/Susanna Clark)
Old 03-15-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid! View Post
I see a lot of praise for the L1 Model II, Compact, and S1 Pro’s, but I rarely see people talking about the F1 towers. I heard one a while back and thought it sounded better than the other offerings, so I’m confused as to why I don’t hear much about them anywhere.

Not trying to start a flame more here, I’m just really interested as to why they haven’t taken off like the other systems. The top seems to be a little over 40 pounds and 55 pounds for the sub. That’s not crazy heavy in the world of PA equipment. I doubt that would be much of a deterrent to some.
The F1 Model 812 currently sells for $899, which given its features, would be a good PA value, and a good system for a solo act or duo without a bass. It's a bit heavy at 44 lbs but isn't much more than most systems with its prowess. I've only heard it and the complete system with Bose F1 Subwoofer at Guitar Center and, of course, it sounded great.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-15-2019, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The F1 Model 812 currently sells for $899, which given its features, would be a good PA value, and a good system for a solo act or duo without a bass. It's a bit heavy at 44 lbs but isn't much more than most systems with its prowess. I've only heard it and the complete system with Bose F1 Subwoofer at Guitar Center and, of course, it sounded great.
That’s kind of what I was thinking. The weight isn’t astronomical compared to some other gear. So I’m guessing that the fact that it’s a little heavier than other options and the fact that it wasn’t designed to go behind the performer is the reason that people aren’t as crazy about it?
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-15-2019, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

So I’m guessing that the fact that it’s a little heavier than other options and the fact that it wasn’t designed to go behind the performer is the reason that people aren’t as crazy about it?

I expect plenty of people who use it for its intended case, front of house, probably are crazy about it.

I'm sure it could do well in some settings where performers use an L1 M2, especially in front of them with something else for a monitor, but as others have said, it's not designed to be planted behind the performers. On top of that its 100-degree dispersion, left and right, isn't anywhere near the L1's nearly 180 degrees.

It's made for a different job. Its throw-shaping feature (straight ahead, or up and down, or up) is made for stages and auditoriums.

When I think of all of the local brew houses and wineries I've seen L1 M2s in the F1 would usually would be an inferior choice.
Old 03-15-2019, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkingston View Post
The Bose F1 is a front of house system, not a "behind the performer" all-in-one system.
This ^^. And the fact that many of us who use a Bose array of some sort appreciate the "all in one" aspect of it: no monitor necessary. If I were playing in a band , the F1 would be a good solution; for solo work, I am happy with the light weight and ease of the L1C.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification