The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-24-2019, 07:30 AM

Default BBE Acoustimax or Radial AC Driver for nylon guitar?

Which one to choose in this price range?BBE Acoustimax or Radial AC Driver?(no feedback for this,I guess it's new?)
I play a nylon Takamine TH90(CTB1 palathetic pickup) and have EQ,Reverb,Compressor pedals to add to the chain if needed.I'm looking for the most natural sound.

Last edited by michael76; 02-24-2019 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-24-2019, 07:43 AM

I've not used the Radial, but I liked the BBE Acoustimax so much that I bought a second. It has most of the bells and whistles that you would want for an analog preamp, including sweepable mids, notch filter, phase reversal, ground lift, and the sonic maximizer can be a nice bonus.

For pickups, I use the Baggs M1A in most of my guitars. But the preamp seems to work pretty well with the Fishman sonicore UST in my Martin and Eastman guitars. I haven't tried it with JJB or KK style pickups yet, or anything passive, for that matter.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 02-24-2019, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistah View Post
I've not used the Radial, but I liked the BBE Acoustimax so much that I bought a second. It has most of the bells and whistles that you would want for an analog preamp, including sweepable mids, notch filter, phase reversal, ground lift, and the sonic maximizer can be a nice bonus.

For pickups, I use the Baggs M1A in most of my guitars. But the preamp seems to work pretty well with the Fishman sonicore UST in my Martin and Eastman guitars. I haven't tried it with JJB or KK style pickups yet, or anything passive, for that matter.
Do you use it with nylon?Does it add warmth in the sound?
Old 02-24-2019, 12:13 PM

I'm sorry, I don't. I didn't notice that was your intended application when I responded. Hopefully someone else will have some experience there.

Eastman E10OO
Eastman E1D
Eastman E1OM
Martin 000RS1
Eastman PCH-GACE
Recording King RP-06
Blueridge BR-40T Tenor
Gold Tone TG10 Tenor
Old 03-15-2019, 10:21 AM

That Acoustimax looks like a nice unit for the price.
What is "ground lift" and what does the "sonic maximizer" do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wistah View Post

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification