The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-13-2019, 06:35 PM

Default What Life Decision are you thinking about right now?

Anyone thinking about any life decisions right now? Might be a job change, move, marriage, retirement, new car, health, school, etc. Are you talking to friends/family about it? Researching it online?

If your biggest life decision is what to eat for breakfast then include that ... hopefully that's a good thing.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

I am struggling to make it to my retirement in five months. It's just one of those things where my part time gig turned sour overnight. The thing is I could just leave but I had planned to work until my 66th birthday. Plus the fact that this is the last work situation I'll probably ever see. Ever. I don't really have anything to do so if I retired now I'd sit through the winter. So I'll see how it goes and see what happens, or not. I really don't care. It's like I'm in the middle of a crazy drama that I can't win or lose. I figure it's all entertainment from here on out.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Getting my house updated and maintained in a condition that will bring top dollar. I'm not looking to sell but I'm a DIY home owner and I want to do all the heavy lifting now while I'm still in good shape.

Same goes for my 2 cars. I just finished adding another 20 years of life to one and I'm working on the other. It consists of replacing sensors and certain other time/wear-related items above and beyond the routine maintenance interval stuff. That said, I'm the kind of person who sees the preventive maintenance stuff as fun rather than odious chores. For instance, swapping out an engine in my garage is a good time to me.

Also, I'm looking into shifting from being an employee to self employment (again) doing something that keeps my fingernails happily jagged and dirty.

That all said, I'm not sure they're profound Life Decisions as much as they are character traits.
Old 02-13-2019, 07:57 PM
Charter Member

As I mentioned in another thread, I'm planning to retire in early April.

I've been in IT for 43 years (33 with my present employer), and I am just tired of the pace of change and having to keep my skill set current.

And, for the fourth time since I've been here, we are starting yet another company wide software conversion running on yet another different platform. We have a bunch of new younger people who are hungry for this, and it's time to pass the reigns to the guy that was hired to replace me 10 years ago. I know he is ready, and I have had enough.

Now I will get to work on our move to what we consider paradise. We have the lot, and it's time to finalize our house plans and get this construction project going.

After that, it will be time to fish, frolic, and play guitar. Maybe expand my photography. Anything but computers at the level that I've been for most of my life.

D
Old 02-13-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I am struggling to make it to my retirement in five months. It's just one of those things where my part time gig turned sour overnight. The thing is I could just leave but I had planned to work until my 66th birthday. Plus the fact that this is the last work situation I'll probably ever see. Ever. I don't really have anything to do so if I retired now I'd sit through the winter. So I'll see how it goes and see what happens, or not. I really don't care. It's like I'm in the middle of a crazy drama that I can't win or lose. I figure it's all entertainment from here on out.
Hey Jelly I was just in your shoes! Just hang in there and watch the show.

I am 63, turn 64 next month. Been in sales for 40 years of constant high pressure and deadlines. Do great one month and they expect more the next month. Have a bad month and they are ready to can you. Great money, stressful life...always worrying.

Was planning to retire at the end of March. On the Friday before Labor Day weekend at 5pm, I get an email from my director, that my numbers have softened and we need to talk on Tuesday morning at 8am. What a wonderful email to get on a holiday weekend.

Called my attorney, he said they might be planning to terminate you so right now email HR and your manager and give your official notice of your retirement for March 29th. You are 63, no way are the dumb enough to try and fire you after your notice. I did.

Never heard a word from anyone for 3 months! Then 2 weeks before Christmas I was asked to be on a conference call with the 2 Vice Presidents. They said we will give you health insurance until the end of March and that’s it. You will be done January 25th. I said NOPE! My retirement date is March 29th. I told them.... I gave you an advance notice, I am about to turn 64, I have legal counsel, and if you want to put the company at risk over only 2 months pay..then go for it. I then asked them if they ran this stupid idea by the legal department.....then they started stumbling all over themselves. We will get back to you.

That was a Friday. On Monday I had an amazing offer sent FEDEX to my house from the legal Dept all apologetic for the VP’s blunders. I signed it.

So I have been done for a month. Unexpectedly but happy. Still feel tense, like I’m still working. I have to keep telling myself, hey relax, you are retired. I’m sure my mind will catch on sooner or later.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:06 PM

My husband had a stroke in August. I'm trying to hold the family together financially and realizing that he may not ever work again. Navigating the "how do I earn more money and not kill myself doing it" path. It sounds like a better question for someone in their thirties. A first half of life question, not a second half. But it's what's in front of me, oldster that I am.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryler View Post
My husband had a stroke in August. I'm trying to hold the family together financially and realizing that he may not ever work again. Navigating the "how do I earn more money and not kill myself doing it" path. It sounds like a better question for someone in their thirties. A first half of life question, not a second half. But it's what's in front of me, oldster that I am.
My thoughts and prayers are sincerely with you.
Old 02-13-2019, 08:18 PM

Dru, its always such a pleasure to respond to your threads. Great question. I just made a good career move as a result of a decision.. does this count?

I have been in higher education or poverty or a combination thereof most of my life. I play a ton of gigs at farm fairs in the Summers and I love interacting with the kids. So a recent job came up as Director of Lifelong Education for the local church and I took it. I never envisioned a career as a youth educator, especially teaching spiritual subjects like self esteem, faith, philosophy and so forth...but I will grow into this role over time I am sure.

That was a decision to combine my love of building games with playful learning with meaningful work. I now work with seniors and kids, 2 ends of the spectrum.

My next big decision is where to live. Its so $$ here that I am at a loss to find that balance of value and comfort. So wish me luck with finding a new home, this one is about to be demolished for ...sigh...development...and I lose my amazing rent deal!
Old 02-13-2019, 08:35 PM

Do I risk the great PNW Snowpocalypse to drive 5 - 6 hours on snow and ice tomorrow to ski at 8000' Anthony Lakes, or stay home and do XC runs at home?

What if the weather doesn't improve by Wintergrass next week? Brave the pass on ice in whiteout conditions or miss the best festival all year, plus eat a few hundred $ in tickets and room reservations?

Last edited by Mandobart; 02-13-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dru,

There are several. But at the top of the list is a disruption of my plans to retire. I had intended to work at least until full retirement age for Social Security. For me, that’s 66 years, 4 months.

I’m now thinking that ain’t likely to happen. I hope to get another year in, but even that might not be possible. We shall see.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 02-13-2019, 10:34 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Sort of downsizing...we’re in the process of selling our rural log home of 35 years that I built, to move to a newsd suburban home we’ve already bought. We’re currently splitting our time between the two, just 40 min. apart. Lots of emotions involved.

Dru, perhaps you’ve a life decision of your own to share?
Old 02-14-2019, 04:46 AM

Hearing aids. After years of denying that I had issues with my hearing. I'm about to take the plunge and get hearing aids.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 02-14-2019, 06:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
Hearing aids. After years of denying that I had issues with my hearing. I'm about to take the plunge and get hearing aids.
Yea, I keep putting it off myself. I fear I wouldn't wear them after I had them for awhile. Last night at a restaurant my wife answered all the servers questions. I think she could see I was figuring out what the server just said and she just started answering. Old man stuff going on here.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-14-2019, 06:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
If you have a Costco with an audiologist, you can save money. My wife did.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 02-14-2019, 07:33 AM

Less than two years till my planned retirement at 66. Just came off the federal government furlough. I was one of those "essential" employees who worked without getting paid for over 30 days. Made me re-think my 28 years of service and going ahead and retiring then - by oh wait, my retirement office was closed so I couldn't retire. Now, I'm back to my original plan which is to retire at the end of 2020, sell my home and move to a condo at the beach with my guitars any my dogs.

Just lost my nine year old Shiba Inu, Beau, last week to a fast spreading mast cell cancer. Out of the blue, $3,000 to diagnose exactly what he had and making the difficult decision not to prolong his life for 3-6 months with chemo.

Had to replace my 9 year old truck which was leaving me stranded, same sensor replaced three times. Yep, time for it to go.

On the bright side, Happy Valentines' Day!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic