The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-23-2019, 07:27 AM

Default Current stock pickups vs Aftermarket?

What's the state of the market with bog standard pickups vs Aftermarket?

How do the current generation of say -15E or -28E pickups compare to aftermarket offerings?

I'm seeing a few "vintage" guitars from the '70s with pickups, but I wasn't crazy about that era of electronic pickups even Before thirty years of hearing loss...
Old 03-23-2019, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

I like the Trance Amulet M-VT and Taylor ES2 as standalone onboard systems. I'm not so fond of the Martin Aura VT Enhance system as it doesn't sound full via its onboard format but it may possibly be made to do so with some onboard preamp circuit tweaks. It can sound good with outboard signal processing such as EQ. I have experience with all the above systems as I own or have owned them.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Having owned several Taylor guitars with the ES1 or ES2, I can say that the HFN passive is definitely a more responsive pickup with great balance if one takes the time to install the HFN exactly where you find the best tone from bass to treble. If moved just 1/8" left or right from center, the tone is effected. I installed using tape only and the tone is outstanding using two S1 Bose systems and a Fishman Loudbox. The S1's require a preamp whereas the Fishman does not. I use the preamp and line out in the Fishman to get enough power into the S1's and there is plenty of tone shaping and volume.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:55 AM

The bulk of acoustic guitars will come with a UST these days typically LR Baggs element or Fishman Matrix. There are of course exceptions which I won't list here. The aftermarket, in particular the smaller companies that aren't well known but specialize in acoustic pickups are looking really good these days. Dazzo, James May Ultratonic and Schatten to name a few. I'm with 'hotroad' I found the Schatten HFN a few months ago and it instantly became my favorite pickup.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:32 AM

I have yet to find a factory pickups system that I like.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
Having owned several Taylor guitars with the ES1 or ES2, I can say that the HFN passive is definitely a more responsive pickup with great balance if one takes the time to install the HFN exactly where you find the best tone from bass to treble. If moved just 1/8" left or right from center, the tone is effected. I installed using tape only and the tone is outstanding using two S1 Bose systems and a Fishman Loudbox. The S1's require a preamp whereas the Fishman does not. I use the preamp and line out in the Fishman to get enough power into the S1's and there is plenty of tone shaping and volume.
My install is too bright, but fixable with the typical bass/treble controls of a mixer. Once the EQ is fixed the string balance is also excellent and I need a strong high E for covering electric guitar leads. Do you think my install would benefit from moving the HFN? It is currently exactly centered under the saddle (I installed it with a jig using tape).
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-24-2019, 12:09 PM

It really depends. Some on-board OEM electronic systems are great while other's lack. The same applies to after-market systems as well. The key is to experiment and find a system(s) you like. I prefer dual pickup systems with a blend-able mic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification