The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-12-2019, 02:53 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
I like the idea. There are so many tips and tricks.

1. Feeling each word
2. Phrasing each vowel
3. Linking parts of a line together
4. Interpreting songs in different ways
5. Locating your unique tone
6. Legato
7. Adding percussive elements
8. Country twang
9. Broadway musical and theatrical singing
10. Matching key to your own best voice

This list goes on forever...also citing great singers, discussing singer songwriters, vocal care, warm ups, setting goals. Dealing with difficult passages.

There is so much lack of self confidence in singing and so many "friends" can be so critical as to make you give up. I was told for years I had a terrible voice until one friend said it was great. Then I trained even harder and now I make $$ doing it. So many players here never believe in themselves or cannot afford the $60 an hour an up it takes to get a pro coach. Audience members tell me I have a blend of Don Henley and Randy Travis in my country pipes now. There are songs I do. Songs I work on for months then do. Songs I work on for months then realize I cannot do justice to....Then there is my rock repetoire which took years to develop, given I have a high bass range and rock is all about tenors and soaring highs....you never know what you can do until you try..

Also, singing and dementia....TONS of research showing it slows its progression or delays its onset. We could all use a bit of that.

I say its great idea.
Davis, I'd just like to say that your post is a splendid response. and I agree with all you say.
"I commend it to the house!"
Old 03-12-2019, 07:13 PM

I think a singing sub-category would be great — I’m fairly new to this forum, and I’m not sure how many folks here are singers, but I don’t think it would be a bad idea to at least start a particular thread on the topic!

Old 03-13-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
I'm convinced that the largest percentage of regularly active participants in this forum don't sing, are soloists and play finger style. Not much interest in a singer's sub forum. Somebody convince me I'm wrong.
The guitar is not my first instrument. I do enjoy it a lot, however. I am a strummer first. Occasionally, I do fingerstyle and flat pick. I like to play guitar to accompany song.
I regularly gather with others for song circles. We have some very good guitarists that play a variety styles, the commonality being to accompany songs.
The songs range from originals, to Dylan, Lyle Lovett, BB King, Guy Clark, Bill Staines... you name the artist.
Most accompaniment is guitar, but there is some mando, a banjo now and then. I even provide rhythms when asked, on bodhran.

There are no absolutes. There usually isn't time but exchanging vocal ideas is enlightening when time permits.
Old 03-13-2019, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Hi, I'm not shouting (or singing) for another sub category, but I agree that there IS much to learn about singing. It is another instruments and a wonderful way to express and to communicate.

Back in the '60/'70s I made every mistake in the book, and learned very slowly.
Then in the '80s (?) I went to a girl who announced at a club that she was to become a singing teacher - I was her first student.

In a few short weeks she taught me soooo much, gave me pretty simple understanding of breathing, and gave me confidence - which instantly doubles/triples your vocal strength.

Then, I learned by listening about the stage craft and story telling aspects that are really much the same as Davis Webb has mentioned.

In 2017 I had treatment for tongue cancer and lost my ability to speak properly and simply couldn't sing. My hearing, strength neck and mouth have been damaged by the radio therapy ... so I've had to relearn all these things and, I'm told, I've got it back again.

I run an Acoustic Music Club and I see people making all the same mistakes.

I'd be happy to contribute as best I can, and it's given me an idea for (yet another) YouTube Video, although I know there are already many excellent ones on this subject.

Like riding a bike, swimming, and so many other things, lack of self confidence is the biggest barrier, and finding the self confidence to do it, makes it so much easier, and enjoyable.
All of this is very well said and on point.

Kudos to you for fighting back. I am sure it was not at all easy.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 AM

Silly M. sounds great on his videos. That is an awesome story!
Old 03-15-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

I'm working very hard on my singing and too think this could be a welcome sub-forum that I'd haunt. It's stuff that I've mostly overlooked for many years, and now I'm putting in much more time in getting the best out of my voice that I can.
Old 03-15-2019, 02:09 PM
Charter Member

As a "vocally challenged" person I would be in favor of this idea, too.

But I have to say that I have picked up a lot of good singing advice just by paying attention here on the AGF, even if there is no separate sub forum for vocals.
Old 03-18-2019, 11:08 AM

Great idea. As a singer who plays rhythm guitar as accompaniment, I would definitely spend time in this type of sub-forum.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:13 PM

Another vote in favor of such a sub forum here
2015 Gibson Songwriter Deluxe Studio
2014 Voyage-Air
2018 Fender Players Series Stratocaster
1981 Fender Statocaster
Old 03-19-2019, 02:24 PM

Singing forum is a great idea. I mean the amplification sub-forum gets a lot of traffic and most people that are amplifying are doing so to perform in public and usually that means singing as well. Its a good idea.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-19-2019, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Not quite a year ago I started taking vocal lessons and it is the best thing I’ve ever done. I would love to see a dedicated subcategory for Playing and Singing so all the discussion on training, coaches, styles, techniques, tricks, song selection, key transposition, accompaniment, guitar and gear, etc. can easily be found in one place.
Guilds: 69 F312 Braz, 89 Nightbird II, 91 Nightbird CU, 94 GV70, 96 A50 flattop, 06 CO1 Cedar, 11 F30CE, 13 CS F30R Reno Star, 14 GSR F30CE Coco, Orpheum OM RW, Orpheum SS Hog. SOLD: Guilds: 78 F40,79 F112,’87 GF60R,94 DV72,07 CS F47 Braz,11 DD6MCE,12 F30,12 F30R,18 F2512. Other: 70 Epi 5102,74 Ibanez LesPaul,90 Gibson ES347,15 Alvarez MFA70,15 Martin OM28VTS,15 Epi ES339Pro,16 Alvarez AF60
Old 03-22-2019, 11:10 AM

Hopefully the sub forum will be considered — I think it could take off like many of the others

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic