The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-11-2019, 06:55 AM

Default Katana 100

I bought this electric guitar amp a month ago after deciding that my first electric amp purchase (a tube head and cabinet) was silly.

It's a fantastic amp.

But I'd completely overlooked it's acoustic setting. I'd just poo-poo'd it. Now it's become a favorite. I go straight in, no Tonedexter pre. The fidelity is not at the level of my Schertler, and that's part of the charm. It's just so WARM and fat with no quack.

Plus, of course, you get all the built-in effects like reverb and delay.

Peace.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 AM

The Katana series of amps certainly bring a lot to the table and having an acoustic setting is a huge bonus. My only gripe with the amp is not having a separate mic input.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:20 AM

My favorite Katana, just enough oomph for an otherwise no PA gig to bring my 10s Parlor up to vocal levels when we are singing with some push.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-11-2019, 10:02 AM

BW- I am going to try one out. I have two hybrids- a PRS Archtop with piezo system and twin humbuckers and a Brian Moore Custom C90P with SD PRails and a piezo system. I would love to have one amp that can cover everything these guitars are capable of doing. Right now I am running them through various pedalboards and then into a BOSE S1 (which actually sounds the best). I also have a MesaBoogie Subway Rocket but I have always found Mesa is tricky to dial in on the fly.
My standard is a Taylor 814 or 914 with K&K into ToneDexter and analog pedals then into an S1. Great acoustic sound. Last time I played I set up two separate systems - one more electric with an HX Stomp into the Mesa Boogie for the Brian Moore and an acoustic setup into the S1.
The surprise is that the S1 can actually handle both acoustic and electric with the right pedals. Just would be nice to have it all in one box so the Katana is on my must try out list. Then there is my 2005 T5... whole other animal.
davidc
Old 03-11-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcopper View Post
BW- I am going to try one out. I have two hybrids- a PRS Archtop with piezo system and twin humbuckers and a Brian Moore Custom C90P with SD PRails and a piezo system. I would love to have one amp that can cover everything these guitars are capable of doing. Right now I am running them through various pedalboards and then into a BOSE S1 (which actually sounds the best). I also have a MesaBoogie Subway Rocket but I have always found Mesa is tricky to dial in on the fly.

My standard is a Taylor 814 or 914 with K&K into ToneDexter and analog pedals then into an S1. Great acoustic sound. Last time I played I set up two separate systems - one more electric with an HX Stomp into the Mesa Boogie for the Brian Moore and an acoustic setup into the S1.

The surprise is that the S1 can actually handle both acoustic and electric with the right pedals. Just would be nice to have it all in one box so the Katana is on my must try out list. Then there is my 2005 T5... whole other animal.

davidc
I think that the Katana 100 might be great for a multi-guitar/hybrid player. Perhaps an ABC switch in front and away you go.

I'm also loving it in the studio where it's cabinet-modeled line-out makes recording so easy.

Peace.
Old 03-12-2019, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I'm also loving it in the studio where it's cabinet-modeled line-out makes recording so easy.
Does using the line out mute the speaker? I'm interested in the 100 head version (if it does not mute the internal 5" speaker- I'd like to have that for a bit of monitoring) for gigs where I play both acoustic and electric. I could leave the pedal board at home!

Scott
Old 03-12-2019, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EScottG View Post
Does using the line out mute the speaker? I'm interested in the 100 head version (if it does not mute the internal 5" speaker- I'd like to have that for a bit of monitoring) for gigs where I play both acoustic and electric. I could leave the pedal board at home!

Scott
No. It's not a headphone port. The line out is used for recording or for sending a signal to the FOH board and leaving your amp as a monitor. I almost bought that head, but I ended up loving the 12" speaker.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:49 PM

Great, thanks. I'm sure the small speaker in the head isn't very loud but, for my purposes, I think it would be loud enough. I really like the idea of having quick access to multiple effects, an acoustic setting for switching to a flattop, line out to PA, and a touch of monitor all in one package.

Scott

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification