The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-15-2019, 06:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Cathy's Clown by Don Everly (cover)

This is Don Everly's "Cathy's Clown, which was the Everly Brothers' biggest hit selling 8 million records in 1960. For my cover here I added some vocal harmony and electric guitar. I just can't imagine doing an Everly Brothers' song with no high harmony. The acoustic guitar is a Gibson Advanced Jumbo and the electric guitar is a Fender Telecaster played through a Fender Blues Deville amplifier with added tremolo.

I bought this Telecaster from RP on the AGF a few years ago. It's a made-in-Mexico Tele with American made pickups and electronics and sounds, at least to me, really good. I've had a Strat for years but kept reading about the enthusiasm for Telecasters on the AGF. So I was glad I could pick up a modestly priced one from RP, who was a fellow moderator when I was on the mod squad a few years ago.

I also used a cajon with brushes and a tambourine for percussion and I also added bass from a Carvin bass I bought many years ago.

I have not been able to sing for the last 3-4 weeks because of laryngitis so I was glad I could finally get something recorded. This song was a favorite of mine from way back in junior high school. I was 12 years old when this song came out on the radio.

Thanks for listening!

- Glenn
Old 02-15-2019, 06:09 PM

You just keep on singing some of my favorites, Glenn! And doing such a nice job, too.

Is someone doing the camera work or are you handling pan and zoom in post?

David

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 02-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
You just keep on singing some of my favorites, Glenn! And doing such a nice job, too.

Is someone doing the camera work or are you handling pan and zoom in post?

David
Hi David,

Nobody on the cameras, just me, using tripods on 3 cameras. I do combine various camera shots using Adobe Premier Elements. The panning and zooming is done in Premier after the fact.

Thanks so much for watching and taking the time to comment! I am so glad you thought this came out okay.

I really wanted to do this song, but it's on the upper end of my vocal range, hitting a lot of high G notes. I have been so ridiculously hoarse for the last month, I wondered if I would ever be able to sing again. I was so glad that I finally recovered enough to be able to sing this.

Thanks so much David!

- Glenn
Old 02-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Will this be on the album?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 02-15-2019, 06:17 PM

Woo HOO!!! Another EB classic done beautifully by my buddy Glenn!!!

I’ll be trying this one out tomorrow night at my gig. You’ve once again inspired me, my friend! Love it.

2010 Taylor 814ce
2008 Taylor 816ce
2008 Taylor 426ce LTD (Tasmanian blackwood)

LR Baggs Venue
Ditto X2 Looper
TC Helicon H1 Harmony Pedal
Allen & Heath ZED 10FX
LD Systems Maui 11 G2
Galaxy PA6BT Monitor
iPad with OnSong
JBL EON ONE Compact (typically only used as a backup)

My Facebook Music Page
My YouTube Page
Old 02-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Will this be on the album?
Hi Bruce!

No, probably no album. But all these songs are on my YouTube channel if you ever want a free concert.

It's great to hear from you Bruce!!! I hope all is well for you and your family!

- Glenn
Old 02-15-2019, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratcat77 View Post
Woo HOO!!! Another EB classic done beautifully by my buddy Glenn!!!

I’ll be trying this one out tomorrow night at my gig. You’ve once again inspired me, my friend! Love it.
Hi Marty!

Thank you so much for your enthusiasm! I'm sure you remember that this is one of the Everly Brothers songs that you suggested that I do. It's been on my list for a while but I had to wait for my vocal cords to heal.

I am so very pleased that you like this, Marty! And if I have inspired you, that is the biggest compliment in the world! Thanks for taking the time to comment!

- Glenn
Old 02-15-2019, 06:33 PM
AGF Sponsor

This song is familiar, Glenn, but a little before my time. Great tune! And for you to sing this well right after a laryngitis, well, even more props to you my friend! Wonderful job!
Old 02-15-2019, 07:46 PM

Glenn, I'm always amazed at your work.

How many hours-- start to finish-- do you think it takes you to record all of the music as well as edit it all together? I can imagine it is way more than people realize. What would you estimate?
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 02-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWSog View Post
This song is familiar, Glenn, but a little before my time. Great tune! And for you to sing this well right after a laryngitis, well, even more props to you my friend! Wonderful job!
Hi Larry!

Thank you for your thoughts and comments!

I have been fighting this laryngitis for about a month. The day before yesterday, Wednesday, I tried to sing and at first I was just horrible. Then after a while I was able to sing but sounded more like Rod Stewart. I thought -- what is this, nodes on my vocal cords??? HOW DID THIS HAPPEN??!!

But then on Thursday after I was done doing my part time engineering work, I tried to sing and lo and behold, I was quite a bit better. So I thought, I had better record this song now while I can sing. So I went after it on Thursday.

If this song was before your time, then I can understand that it wouldn't quite hold the magic that it does for me. In my history, the Everly Brothers were like musical gods. I saved up my money in 9th grade and bought an album called "The Golden Greats of the Everly Brothers." And I listened over and over to this album of their best hits on my dad's Heathkit stereo system. This was one of my favorite albums ever.

Thanks for taking the time to comment here Larry! I hope you are well!

- Glenn
Old 02-15-2019, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Glenn, I'm always amazed at your work.

How many hours-- start to finish-- do you think it takes you to record all of the music as well as edit it all together? I can imagine it is way more than people realize. What would you estimate?
Hi SoCalSurf!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments!

How many hours? Well, on Thursday I started working on this about 11 AM and worked until 5:30 PM to get all the recording and video work done. So that is 6.5 hours. That time also includes mixing down all the audio channels into a stereo mix. I think there were about 16 channels by the time I was done adding all the various components.

Today I did some errands with my wife all morning. I was able to get back to the studio at about 1:30 PM, and I spent about an hour and a half programming the video. I mixed 8 different video tracks together to make the video. I have gotten pretty decisive about where to make cuts and when to make pans and zooms, so I was able to get through this fairly quickly considering how much stuff was there in the video editing program.

So 6.5 + 1.5 hours = 8 hours total of recording, processing and turning the raw video footage into less than a 3-minute final video.

To me, that doesn't sound too bad. This video could be better, but it would have taken a whole lot more time to get there. When I do stuff by myself, there is no one to argue with. So probably, weak stuff gets by, but I can be fairly fast about turning something out.

I had fun doing this, and frankly, I was delighted to be able to put together something where it sounded like I could actually sing again. I was afraid I might never ever be able to sing again!!!

Thanks so much for your thoughts and comments!

- Glenn
Old 02-15-2019, 08:27 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, I'm very happy you are back signing! I had no doubt you would be, but it must be a huge relief. One of your best vocals, too
Old 02-15-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeve21 View Post
Glenn, I'm very happy you are back signing! I had no doubt you would be, but it must be a huge relief. One of your best vocals, too
Thank you Bob!

How nice of you to check in and listen! And I very much appreciate your taking the time to comment!

I'm glad you had faith that my voice would come back. I was having serious doubts! I am so relieved! And, I am very glad you thought this came out okay!

Thank you again Bob!

- Glenn
Old 02-16-2019, 12:37 AM

Reminds me of ‘First base, Bugs Bunny, second base, Bugs Bunny, third base, Bugs Bunny . . .’ Great fun to see you play all the different parts and the treat was your harmonizing vocals. Well done, Glenn!

Cheers

Dave
Old 02-16-2019, 04:23 AM
Charter Member

That's funny, Glenn... when I saw the song title, I couldn't place it. The Everlys preceded me too; however, it didn't take but 2 or 3 notes and I thought, "Oh yeah... I know that." Great tune.

Very nice job and I'm glad you're back in the saddle. Laryngitis ain't no fun, although you could always use that downtime to work on instrumentals.

Thanks for sharing!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell