The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-19-2019, 09:12 PM

Default Had to put my dog down yesterday

She was a great 16 year old puppy that was happy until the very end. Back in August, she was diagnosed with kidney disease, and pancreatitis. But with home treatments and lots of love, she stuck around for 7 extra months. This past weekend she took a turn for the worse, she didn’t want to eat and she couldn’t move. Yesterday we had to make the impossible decision, or let her fight. The vet checked her temperature and she was 97 degrees which is low for a dog. Her body was done fighting and was shutting down.

Being there through the euthanization process was a first for me and extremely saddening. I can only find comfort in knowing I ended her suffering, and she’s in a better place now. Thanks for reading everyone.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Sorry for your loss. She was a cutie. For a dog, she had a relatively long life, obviously filled with love. If this is a recent photo, she certainly didn’t look anywhere near 16 y/o. What was her name and breed?
Old 03-19-2019, 09:21 PM

Sorry to hear that. These decisions are tough. I've been there before so I know how you feel. Probably the most difficult decision I ever made in my life and I'm sure you feel the same. In time your wounds will heal.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

Sorry for your loss. You did the right thing, but I know how hard it is.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 03-19-2019, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

I've been through it twice. Heartbreaking.

Think of it like this: it was the last good thing you could do for your friend.

Condolences.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 PM

I am so sorry. I dread the day when I am faced with this task. Look at those eyes....
What a great looking doggie.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 PM
Charter Member

When we got our Westies, sixteen and seventeen years ago respectively, we got a written set of rules. One of those was “. . everything I do is easier if you are with me, and this includes when I must cross the Rainbow Bridge.”

True to our commitment, we were with them for the crossing, which occurred within three months of each other last fall. I’m sure your presence made your pup’s crossing easier. Thanks for being there.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Sorry for your loss. She was a cutie. For a dog, she had a relatively long life, obviously filled with love. If this is a recent photo, she certainly didn’t look anywhere near 16 y/o. What was her name and breed?

That picture is about 5 years ago. Here’s one from a few weeks ago.

She was a Sheltie and Jack Russell mix. Her name was Kayla, she was my wife’s first dog, and I got to spend the past ten years with her. This has been extremely hard on my wife. Sad thing is that we have another aging dog right now.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 PM

So sorry. Sounds like both of you and family had a lot of good times. Being there makes it much easier for your buddy.. . . . . and you in time. Take care.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:27 PM
Charter Member

Dogs know when it is time to go. They don't want to go early, which is why so many hate going to the vet - they know what happens in the back and aren't ready yet.

Nevertheless, it is perhaps a good thing depending upon your circumstances is to get another dog immediately. There are any number of rescue dogs just craving human interaction who are willing to return love and affection exponentially. You will never forget your old friend, but your new friend will soon find a place in your heart as well.

I am dreading the day that we have to take my wife's terminally ill cat to the vet for the last visit. The day is coming, but I am already resolved that we will find another kitten to adopt soon after the last ride is over. We will have great memories of the old and a lot of fun with the new.

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 03-19-2019, 11:42 PM

Very sorry for your loss. I’ve been through this several times, and also was present when they were euthanized. She looked like a sweetheart, and 16 years is a long life. I’m sure she had a wonderful life with you and your wife.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:44 AM
Charter Member

I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure she had a great life being part of your family.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:11 AM

Sorry to hear.
That time will inevitably come to me too. Our Pyrenean Sheepdog is 12 years now. She's on some dietary supplements to keep her liver working, and she isn't moving as briskly as she used to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
I am dreading the day that we have to take my wife's terminally ill cat to the vet for the last visit. ...
Some vets will do home visits, which often reduces the stress on the pet.
I don't think that will work with our dog, though. She doesn't like being at the vet's - but she is also highly territorial and a stranger coming into the apartment is probably even more stressful.
and a guitar-shaped-object

Last edited by perttime; 03-20-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:06 AM

Had to do this so many times and it never gets easier. Sorry you're having to go through this now. I always feel the pain you feel is a reflection of how much love you got from having them. 17 is a good age for any dog and that is a reflection of how much love your dog got from you.

YouTube
Old 03-20-2019, 04:15 AM

So sorry for your loss. We lost both our fifteen year old cats this year. They were such good friends to us and they asked for so little in return. But we are getting ready to look for some new kitties - there are a bunch of little ones out there who need a home and some love. I hope as time passes, you will let another wonderful pup enter your life.

best,

Rick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic