The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2019, 07:31 PM

Default Suggestions on stage setup...

I’ve read the threads here and still a bit confused. My son is ready for the next step (his own small band) and will play for small venues. He already plays with a couple bands but he wants to do some stuff on his own. We play easy rock, country, Eric Clapton type blues.

What we have now:
Marshall amp- ds40
Acoustic amp with two guitar imputs and one mic input.
Shure sm58 and 57
Mic stands
All the guitars will ever need
All the pedals we need

So, looking at PA systems and mixers, etc. We need something simple and not that expensive since I have no idea what I’m doing. I am the dad, roady, money man, singer (until we find someone else), rhythm guitar, driver, unloader of all equipment, and occasional drummer. My son is the picker and can play anything.

What you guys suggest?

Thanks jed
Old 03-18-2019, 07:45 PM
Charter Member

Fishman SA330x with extender and subwoofer...

There are several nice videos demonstrating this for a small band. One is on Fishman’s site, and Greg Koch does another one.
Old 03-18-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themissal View Post
Fishman SA330x with extender and subwoofer...

There are several nice videos demonstrating this for a small band. One is on Fishman’s site, and Greg Koch does another one.
Thanks. Looking now
Old 03-18-2019, 08:20 PM
Charter Member

The 330x is on sale as a 'bundle' with the roller bag and extender at Sweetwater and the sub is on sale right now as well if that helps.
Old 03-19-2019, 08:30 AM

Actually some like that larger Fender passport too.
Stay away from $$$bose
We have powered speaker/mix system.
Old 03-19-2019, 09:02 AM

Alto powered speakers are reasonable and top notch. Just pick your budget for one or two. They are fairly lightweight too. Alto makes some reasonable mixers too. Start off there and work up.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1894 View Post
What you guys suggest?
You could get lots of suggestions and many will be good.

So it'll be what, say a three- or four-piece band? Two guitars, bass, and percussion, plus vocals obviously, or too soon to say?

The SA330x is great, and with a band you will definitely need the sub for clout and the extender for more inputs. I've never seen one used by a band but they are so used.

The don't-get-a-Bose thing is like iPhone v. Android in many ways. Some feel the Bose "sticks," from the Compact (likely too small for that band) up through the L1 Model 2 ($$$$), are too pricey for what they do, but I see them used all over the place for live performance and they're quite good. Just be aware that you need not buy their $599 entry-level mixer, the T4S; it's super but you can use quite fine analog mixers that cost less; the Yamaha MG10XU is just one example that's popular around here. (Probably TMI but the predecessor T1 mixer, with a slightly lessor feature set, can be had for less on the used market.)

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ith-usb-and-fx
Old 03-19-2019, 01:39 PM

Soundcraft EFX8 or EFX12 and 2-4 QSC K10.2's. Maybe a sub at some point.
1983 Washburn Timber Ridge Custom
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive
2016 Gibson J-45 Standard
- Fishman Onboard Prefix Premium Blend & - Schatten HFN passive backup
Tonedexter & Sunnaudio Stage DI
1990 Yamaha FS-310

Past:
1995 Martin D-28
2015 Eastman E10SS
Old 03-19-2019, 02:25 PM

Yamaha Stagepass 600i.
Old 03-19-2019, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
Yamaha Stagepass 600i.
+1 on the stagepas 600i I’ve used mine for the last 5 years in a variety of venues and I’ve had zero issues so far.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 03-19-2019, 08:38 PM

Thanks guys. Looked at Yamaha system today. Still have to look at rest. Plenty of info to work with. Band size, for now, will be about 3 people.
Old 03-20-2019, 06:55 AM

When choosing a PA system not only band size (how many inputs needed) but what type/size venues needs to be considered.
That's the advantage of going with a mixer (get more channels than you currently need) with powered speakers - you can always add more powered speakers or move up to larger/more powerful ones.
With a Fishman 'stick' or a Bose L1 system, you will need an external mixer for more inputs, and chaining powered speakers and balancing the sound is more difficult. With something like the StagePass (or Fender Passport), you're pretty much stuck with what you've got and when you need to move up, you'll have to find someone to buy the used system.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-20-2019, 02:59 PM

Without a budget or an idea of the kinds of environments where you intend to play, it's difficult to respond usefully.

That said, for a band just starting out and assuming you have instrument amplifiers sufficient to project to your likely audiences, it's not necessary to get PA speakers with the ability to reproduce much in the way of bass frequencies or a bigger and more expensive mixer which can accommodate both vocals and instruments. If you get a bass guitarist and/or keyboard player, they can provide their own amps to reproduce their instruments in most environments, so your PA can be focused on projecting vocals and maybe small hand percussion instruments.

Powered 8" speakers from EV, QSC, or if you're on a budget, Behringer, can probably work well for you and in the future could be relegated to duty as monitors if you find you later need bigger FOH speakers and want to add floor monitors. 8" speakers weigh and cost less than bigger speakers.

A small analog mixer from Peavy, Yamaha, Mackie, or Behringer would also serve your needs for quite a while - just get something with a few more inputs than you need currently, to allow for some future growth and expansion. 8 XLR input channels would be a good start.

You'll need two speaker stands, and spending a little more for sturdy units is a good investment. You'll also need speaker cables, 20' length will likely suffice.
Old 03-20-2019, 03:06 PM

Allen and Heath or Soundcraft board. 2 K8.2s (maybe K10.2s if you're playing medium-sized venues or outdoors) and 2 KS112 subs. Those little subs kick butt! You'd have a killer system right there.
Old 03-21-2019, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uriah1 View Post
Stay away from $$$bose
Bose is a Sponsor of the Acoustic Guitar Forum.

Just sayin'....

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification