The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-18-2019, 10:44 AM

Default PA amp with multi-effects pedal versus a feature-laden amp (also with a pedal)

Given the almost obscenely wide assortment of high quality effects pedals available, is there a compelling reason to buy a feature rich amp if I'm going to be using a good multi-effects pedal with it anyway? Wouldn't the amp's features be largely redundant? An obvious exception would be a particular effect that an amp does better than the pedal and vice-versa but, generally speaking, wouldn't a PA amp with nothing but a clean setting paired with a good pedal serve the purpose? And, if so, why hasn't the industry made a move in that direction?
Old 03-18-2019, 10:53 AM

Lots of people here do exactly that.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:19 PM

Agreed. For instance, I know people using the TC Helicon Play Acoustic pedal and a single powered speaker as a full fledged PA system. It's a great solution until you add a second person unless they have the same solution.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:39 PM

I think the days of guitar amps are numbered :~). Well that statement might have some force of truth if guitarists were a more practical bunch... I would take a modeling pedal and a PA speaker for an electric guitar over any over weight under reliable tube amp.

As far as acoustic guitar amps go, a pedal and/or a mixer into a powered speaker makes a lot of sense. As IR generation (Tonedextor) and IR playback (initially Fishman Aura) starts to spread out in every direction, I think keeping the signal processing separate from the speaker is a practical way to future proof a part of your investment.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 03-18-2019, 05:16 PM

There is no compelling reason to buy a guitar amp other than convenience for the simplest of applications.

Yes, there are some good amps out there. AER and Schertler being the most prominent examples, however the 'feature sets' are generally limited to EQ and Reverb. For most acoustic guitarists, that's all they need.

My personal view on the AER's is that the coaxial speakers used are great for guitar only but seem to lack crispness in the vocals. I'm not experienced enough with the Schertler to offer comment.

If you are less of a 'purist' and a heavy user of effects then it makes sense to focus on having these features in pedal form. It allows you to swap components in/out as well without upgrading the whole system. If you are performing live it makes sense to have your mixer/volume controls easily accessible, not on a speaker up on a stand. If you are working with a partner, then again you need the mixer. In some venues you'll benefit from seperate monitors - it is not always possible to have a single speaker placed suitably for an audience and also yourself. There will also be occasions when you'll be plugging into someone else's PA, so relying on an amp for effects may be less practical.

Finally, since the Kemper profiling amp came out, even the world of electric guitars has started moving away from that idea that tube distortion and mid-rangey speakers are the 'holy grail' of tone. More and more, electric players are looking for good FRFR (full range flat response) speakers to pair with their modellers.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by takatsukimike View Post

Yes, there are some good amps out there. AER and Schertler being the most prominent examples, however the 'feature sets' are generally limited to EQ and Reverb. For most acoustic guitarists, that's all they need.

My personal view on the AER's is that the coaxial speakers used are great for guitar only but seem to lack crispness in the vocals. I'm not experienced enough with the Schertler to offer comment.

I absolutely love my Schertler Roy. The channel preamps are class A audiophile quality. The two effect I use are just a touch of reverb and delay and it has both built in. I play a lot of thumb bass and it has as much low end as you would expect with an external subwoofer. Highs are crystal clear on the vocals. On an angled stand the sound seems to fill a room without appearing to come from any direction. The fidelity is just exquisite. It sounds equally good at Tiny Desk Concert levels as it does at ear splitting levels. The line out and headphone out sound wonderful. It looks beautiful. It has enough channels for several people. I use it with a Boss WL20 wireless on my guitar and xVive wireless on the mics, so the only cable is for power.

I just wish it came with a pole mount and was maybe a few pounds lighter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification