The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-11-2019, 08:16 PM
Charter Member

I'll recommend Mt. Vernon as well, but with a nice twist: there is a company that runs a boat up the Potomac to Mt. Vernon and stops there at the private landing. You walk up the trail, through the farm there and tour the house and visitor center. Everything is included in your ticket price and it is a really nice way to go.

If you have enough time, a trip to Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson is also a place to not be missed.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:43 PM

Stay outside of DC in the Alexandria area. Downtown DC is pretty much a ghost town after dark. Alexandria has a great array of restaurants, pubs, bookstores, cool old buildings and plenty of people watching. It’s less than 10 minutes from the main sites in the actual capital area. There’s a very nice Marriot at 801 N St Asaph St, Alexandria, VA 22314. If the weather is decent a harbor cruise can be pretty relaxing and gives you great view of the monuments at night.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
Stay outside of DC in the Alexandria area. Downtown DC is pretty much a ghost town after dark. Alexandria has a great array of restaurants, pubs, bookstores, cool old buildings and plenty of people watching. It’s less than 10 minutes from the main sites in the actual capital area. There’s a very nice Marriot at 801 N St Asaph St, Alexandria, VA 22314. If the weather is decent a harbor cruise can be pretty relaxing and gives you great view of the monuments at night.

King Street is the place to be in Old Town
Old 03-12-2019, 12:51 AM

Georgetown is a great place for nightlife.mmWe were staying with friends in Arlington one time, right near the Iwo Jima memorial. we walked down Roslyn and across the Francis Scott Key bridge into GT, and had a great time checking out the shops and ate at some crépe restaurant.
Old 03-12-2019, 05:10 AM

Thanks for all of the various comments, there's really useful information here.

In particular, it's good to get tips on where to aim for when booking accommodation - it'll be good to be in an area where it is (a) safe and (b) active enough to be worth wandering around in the evening.

Regarding the various monuments and memorials, I naturally don't have any sense of patriotism to the USA but I'm still interested in the history and sense of place that goes with them.

I checked the White House visitor website and I would have to try to get a visit arranged via the UK embassy, and it's just too much hassle. Might be nice to visit the Capitol though.

On museums, the Air & Space and Natural History branches are certainly on the list. I'll dig into the others to see what appeals.

Thanks again.
Old 03-12-2019, 06:05 AM

Have your uber driver take you to Ben's Chile Bowl on U Street, NW and get a half-smoke. It's a DC signature dish. There are many other places to get one, but Ben's is THE place to go.

You can also head down to the SW DC waterfront (Maine Ave Exit on the SE/SW freeway) and hit the seafood stalls. Most of them will cook whatever you buy.

If you have time, take the trip to the Uday Hazy National Air and Space Museum near Dulles Airport. Really cool stuff in there if you into Aviation history.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Smithsonian Folklife Festival:
https://festival.si.edu/
Old 03-12-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
King Street is the place to be in Old Town
1+

best fish and chips right here

http://eamonnsdublinchipper.com/
Old 03-12-2019, 01:33 PM
Charter Member

When were you trying to come to DC?

If you can plan your trip on the weekend of April 12-14, you can rent a car and drive to the Artisan Guitar Show (Less than 2.5 hours drive).

If you come between March 20 and April 14, you can catch the Cherry Blossoms.

We can always connect and play some guitars

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 03-12-2019, 02:06 PM

As far as food goes, blue crab is a regional specialty. Baltimore, Annapolis (nice little town to visit), and other places nearer the Ocean are the epicenter but DC has a few places specializing. Maybe try The Quarterdeck. Reviews:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura..._Virginia.html
Old 03-12-2019, 02:27 PM

I remember reading that the FBI has a fascinating museum too but I see it's another of those 'contact your congressman' for a visit.
How's that work for us overseas visitors?

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 03-12-2019, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
When were you trying to come to DC?

If you can plan your trip on the weekend of April 12-14, you can rent a car and drive to the Artisan Guitar Show (Less than 2.5 hours drive).

If you come between March 20 and April 14, you can catch the Cherry Blossoms.

We can always connect and play some guitars
Planning for later in the year, maybe September or so. In any case, my wife might object if I took a day out to mess around with guitars!
Old 03-12-2019, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I remember reading that the FBI has a fascinating museum too but I see it's another of those 'contact your congressman' for a visit.
How's that work for us overseas visitors?
According to one article I read, there's no option for international visitors to take the FBI tour. The White House tour needs the visitor's embassy to submit a request on the individual's behalf, which is much to convoluted for my tastes.
Old 03-12-2019, 04:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
Depending when you go , the National Cherry Blossom Festival is one of my things to do for DC .
I lived 10 miles outside of DC. This was my favorite along with the war memorials and Lincoln Memorial. If you want a very awesome pizza, Ledo’s is the best! And always be vigilant.

2022 Martin 000-17 Whiskey Sunset
2015 Taylor 214 DLX
2014 Taylor Holden Village GSmini
2013 Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
Martin DX Woodstock 50th Anniversary*For Sale
Martin Ed Sheeran ÷ Signature Edition*For Sale
2017 Martin LXK2*For Sale
Old 03-12-2019, 10:36 PM

Raised and lived in South West DC. The city is a wonderful city even without the government based there. The people are warm and wonderful. How long are you there? First D.C. is a nightmare to park in. Stay in the city and walk or take the Metro everywhere. Then when you want to get out of the city you can drive on that day or two. Unless you're going to be there a month, you won't have time to be driving around in the metro-are traffic. It will eat up your time. The monuments and memorials are great to see. Make sure to walk and include everything on the mall. Give a day for walking all of that. For a "taste of the city" make your way to the Adams Morgan district for the best food in town. If you're there on the weekend head over to the Eastern Market for breakfast on Saturday or Sunday. Think Faneuil Hall in Boston but with DC flare. The National Zoo is great. You'll be there in the hottest, most humid time of the year but a great run or half-day walk through Rock Creek Park.

Then get out of the city and get up to Great Falls Virginia, again along the GW Parkway the opposite direction from Mt. Vernon for a great afternoon. Georgetown is vibrant on the weekend and the night-life can be fun. Old Town Alexandria (where I met my wife) is a 10 minute drive out of the city and en route to Mount Vernon along the George Washington Parkway which a great drive along the Potomac River. The Torpedo Factory by the Alexandria Marina is a great example of repurposing an old torpedo factory into a working artists' studio space. Since you can't see half the Smithsonian venues in a month of day-long visits, pick the ones you want to see and take your time through the museums and displays. Like Paris, D.C. is a great walking city from the waterfront area and its marinas along Water Street in South West up past the tidal basin and the mall will be lovely during Sept. Along the way you'll pass all the major monuments and end up by the WWII, Vietnam and Korean War Memorials. On your way back down along the wall you'll pass by the Martin Luther King Jr. memorial and you can cross Street and walk over to East Potomac Park to Haines Point. It's a land point that separates the Potomac River and the Washington Channel with the marinas and the fish market. It's a great park to walk around with the water all around you.

It is truly the "people's city" in as much as most of the things to see are free. Growing up in South West, I lived in the most magical city where you could walk or take a bus anywhere and see the symbols of what Americans have fought and stood for, for centuries. Yes I'm biased having grown up, attended college and worked there for years. I hope you enjoy it half as much as I have writing this. I knew many people from Virginia and Maryland who never came in to the city enough to ever appreciate what is right in their back yard. Don't miss out on the wonderful things that Washington D.C. has to offer - remember that most of the great things are outside. Lastly (one of my favorite places in D.C.) when you're walking around the mall, when you're near the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial - cross Constitution Avenue and look for the Albert Einstein Memorial statue tucked in with some trees and bushes. It's usually a very quiet place and it's a wonderful statue of one of the greatest minds and peaceful men who contributed so much to science.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic