The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 AM

Default Things to do in Washington, D.C.

Hi. I'm considering a holiday that will involve some time in DC, and I'm wondering if there are some less-than-obvious things to put on the itinerary?

There are plenty of obvious choices - the various parts of the Smithsonian (including the zoo), Arlington, memorials, etc. - but these are pretty much all these because this is the seat of US government. Is there anything to see that reflects the character of the place & people, rather than being a byproduct of national administration?

Also.... Rock Creek park. Worth a visit? The only thing I know about it is that many people get killed there in NCIS.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

Check out the schedule at The Birchmere in Alexandria, VA (just outside the city) if you are interested in hearing some music. One of my favorite places to see a show.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:37 AM
Charter Member

A couple of things that are worth doing that require advanced planning are a tour of the White House and a visit to Congress. The White House tours are set up well in advance, so advance planning is a requirement. A visit to the gallery will require tickets or passes. They are available from your Congressperson, you need to contact their office and pick them up there. Also, if you have a political issue that is near and dear to your heart you can schedule an appointment at your Representative or Senator's office. In all probability an intern will come out and take notes of your concerns and tell you that your concerns will be shared with the Congressman later, but it is better way to participate in the American democracy and have an actual experience than ranting and raving to anonymous trolls in some internet forum.

CK
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 03-11-2019, 11:01 AM

https://www.savoredjourneys.com/unco...washington-dc/
Old 03-11-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
A couple of things that are worth doing that require advanced planning are a tour of the White House and a visit to Congress. The White House tours are set up well in advance, so advance planning is a requirement. A visit to the gallery will require tickets or passes. They are available from your Congressperson, you need to contact their office and pick them up there. Also, if you have a political issue that is near and dear to your heart you can schedule an appointment at your Representative or Senator's office. In all probability an intern will come out and take notes of your concerns and tell you that your concerns will be shared with the Congressman later, but it is better way to participate in the American democracy and have an actual experience than ranting and raving to anonymous trolls in some internet forum.

CK
I don't live in the USA, so I don't have a congressperson to contact. But thanks for the heads up on the advance planning needed for these.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Also.... Rock Creek park. Worth a visit? The only thing I know about it is that many people get killed there in NCIS.
Probably not, unless you're a jogger. It's a long, skinny park that follows Turkey Branch for several miles, suitable for hiking, jogging, or dumping bodies. I did some stormwater management and stream restoration design in the park, but that's been 10 years ago.
et al
Old 03-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Hi. I'm considering a holiday that will involve some time in DC, and I'm wondering if there are some less-than-obvious things to put on the itinerary?

<>. Is there anything to see that reflects the character of the place & people, rather than being a byproduct of national administration?

<>.
That's really the only reason it exists. It's like Canberra, if that helps - an agreed-upon neutral area to build the national capital on.

One suggestion: get hold of a copy of The Potomac, by Frederick Gutheim. Good background on the general area (author was an authority on the history of DC architecture). Written in 1949 but still full of interesting stuff. I had a look on amazon uk & it seems to be orderable from the US for very reasonable prices.

Last edited by frankmcr; 03-11-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

Check out Bob and Edith's Diner on Columbia Pike near the Pentagon. It's an old fashioned diner of the sort that used to be found commonly in decades past. I left the area about a decade or so ago, but it was a pretty cool place then.

I second the recommendation on the Birchmere.
Old 03-11-2019, 12:43 PM
Charter Member

If you haven't been to Washington D.C., let me just say that the obvious choices you mentioned are definitely worth your time, lest you think they would be too "touristy". The museums alone, like the Smithsonians, will take a while, and they are all wonderful. The war memorials are superb imo, and the Vietnam memorial is a very intense experience, not unlike the same kinds of feelings you can experience in Europe's memorialized battle fields and camps.
When I was working I used to go to Washington D.C. quite a bit. I usually stayed in Arlington, and early in the morning would go for runs across the Arlington Memorial bridge down to the Lincoln Memorial, onto the mall, past the WWII memorial to the Washington monument and back. It was such a treat to take in all the history, along with the jog.
It's a great place to visit. Be aware though, it's not a city you want to venture into outside the popular spots without any plan or preparation. You can quickly transit from a safe environment into a less friendly confine if you're not careful. That said, there are some worthwhile outings outside the touristy surrounds, especially in the west and northwest sections of town, like excellent restaurants, and to be there is totally fine, but to get there, best to take a cab, or some form of trusted transportation, and avoid walking there, even though the distance may allow it.
Just common sense stuff, but thought it worth mentioning.
That’s been my experience anyway.
In short:
The touristy spots in D.C. i.e. memorials, museums, monuments etc…are well worth it to prioritize .
And if you do go beyond those limits, take a cab and back.
Enjoy your trip if you go!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 03-11-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
If you haven't been to Washington D.C., let me just say that the obvious choices you mentioned are definitely worth your time, lest you think they would be too "touristy". The museums alone, like the Smithsonians, will take a while, and they are all wonderful.
Totally agree.

If they still do it, there is a very nice brunch served at the Smithsonian Castle on the weekends.

If you're into cameras, there is the Leica Store a bit north of the mall;

https://www.leicacamerausa.com/leica...washington-dc/

Chinatown is not very large (although they do have the largest arch in the US, IIRC) but there are a couple of excellent "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants to check out (not the tourista ones).

We ate here:

https://lebanesetaverna.com

on our walk from the zoo to Dupont Circle, one day.

This is a museum to consider checking out:

https://americanindian.si.edu
Old 03-11-2019, 02:01 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If you are into aircraft don't miss the Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center in Chantilly. Of course, there's the National Archive.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 03-11-2019, 03:03 PM

Depending when you go , the National Cherry Blossom Festival is one of my things to do for DC .
Old 03-11-2019, 03:39 PM

When I was with Marriott and spent a lot of time in the area. Some of the places I liked visiting after the obvious:

Mt. Vernon, which is impressive even by todays standard. Chilling to stand at George and Martha's tomb.

Vietnam war memorial. My difficulty is standing there looking at the names of young men I grew up with. Hard on the emotions.

US Naval Academy in Anapolis. John Paul Jones is buried in the church.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 03-11-2019, 04:03 PM

+1 about being careful where you go. I once rescued a young European couple who thought they could walk from the train station to their hotel and the route they chose walked them through one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in the city (at that time).

The Air and Space Museum is the most popular in the country and it is really great, though often crowded. All the big monuments (Lincoln, Washington, Jefferson, Vietnam) are quite moving to me as an American, but I don't know how someone from the outside would feel. There are some very good big art galleries there too including the National and the Phillips. Lots to see, some great neighborhoods to walk through as well including Embassy Row.

Good Luck.
1951 Rickenbacker Panda lap steel
2014 Gibson Roy Smeck Stage Deluxe Ltd, Custom Shop, K&K's
1957 Kay K-27 X-braced jumbo, K&K's
1967 Gretsch 6120 Chet Atkins Nashville
2014 Gold Tone WL-250, Whyte Lade banjo
2024 Mahogany Weissenborn, Jack Stepick

Ear Trumpet Labs Edwina
Tonedexter
Old 03-11-2019, 04:13 PM

Are you a sports fan? I saw opening night at the Capitals NHL game there last season. The arena is in the vicinity of the tourist area.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic