The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2019, 10:02 PM
Charter Member

My 1994 Corolla had < 7000 miles on it when I bought it in 1996. Now it has 208,000 + on it. Nearly ALL those miles are driving back and forth to work. At 50 mph (and I'm sure that my average commuting speed is less than that) that comes out to 4000 hours spent commuting in a little over 20 years. At approximately 2000 work hours per year, that means that in addition to working full time since I bought the car, I have put in two years of "full time work" driving back and forth to work.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:50 PM

I'm probably a bit different across my time line considering the events that can be chronicled on it. There wasn't as much waste as there was haste, meaning, so much in so little time. It's been a crowded life indeed and one I would not change in any way. Slowed down and now sedate in my 60's I'm scheming to bust the 9-5 lifestyle sitting squarely in front of me threatening my life with sensory dulling boredom. Regarding the association with the tech world of computing and personal electronics, well, I don't own a cell phone so you can say I never got side-tracked or consumed with it all. I'm no ludite. I just never got sucked into it all.
Old 02-21-2019, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
I'm probably a bit different across my time line considering the events that can be chronicled on it. There wasn't as much waste as there was haste, meaning, so much in so little time. It's been a crowded life indeed and one I would not change in any way. Slowed down and now sedate in my 60's I'm scheming to bust the 9-5 lifestyle sitting squarely in front of me threatening my life with sensory dulling boredom. Regarding the association with the tech world of computing and personal electronics, well, I don't own a cell phone so you can say I never got side-tracked or consumed with it all. I'm no ludite. I just never got sucked into it all.
I wish i could be more off the grid. Maybe after retirement
Old 02-22-2019, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceciltguitar View Post
My 1994 Corolla had < 7000 miles on it when I bought it in 1996. Now it has 208,000 + on it. Nearly ALL those miles are driving back and forth to work. At 50 mph (and I'm sure that my average commuting speed is less than that) that comes out to 4000 hours spent commuting in a little over 20 years. At approximately 2000 work hours per year, that means that in addition to working full time since I bought the car, I have put in two years of "full time work" driving back and forth to work.
I have been at my current job for 12 years and 5 months. It is a 40 mile/50 minute commute from my house. With an approximate 20 work days per month that makes 298,000 minutes driving time. 4,967 hours or 206.94 days behind the wheel.

I retire this June. I am ready!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 02-23-2019, 06:23 PM

Fourteen years were carved out of my life when my dog died. It's a chunk of my life I'll never get back. I loved that dog more than I could put into words. That was 4 years ago and it still seems like yesterday. But I have another furry friend to love. Hopefully for at least another 14 years.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic