The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-20-2019, 05:11 PM

Congratulations, imwjl. Sounds like you have a great family.
Pono OO-20
Pono OP-30DC
Old 02-21-2019, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I’m turning 50 this year but not after my wife and I celebrate 20 years together. My youngest will also be turning 12 soon and has straight A’s but he’s also riddled with ADHD and wants his own cell phone and email/social media accounts. As parents go, we’re behind the times. All his peers’ parents seem very lax in comparison.

My mom turns 80 next year and is trying to get into a retirement home on social security and my late father’s pension. She’s still in control of her faculties but she’s lived alone for so long that she can be abrasive and gets easily offended if I dispute her on anything. She will likely end up in a HUD subsidized home.

My oldest son turns 15 soon and is severely autistic/cognitively disabled and bipolar and we have some hard decisions to make regarding his long term living arrangements as well. He’s been institutionalized for some time now and I fear that he may have trouble reintegrating into society, much less our family - many of whom have written him off. When he comes of age I fear that SSI will not be enough. We need to dump his college savings into an ABLE account.

As for me, I’m trying my best to pull myself out of depression. I’ve been talking to a therapist for the past two years and I’ve been looking for the silver lining in all of this.
Hey Neil, I know you have your hands full with life but I just wanted to say I'm glad you're one of my AGF friends. I wish you the best with how things turn out with your son.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:47 AM

Trying to decide whether to retire from working in auto racing after over 37 years...24 professionally...or continue for another season or two. I'm now 68 and have been retired from my "day job" profession of over 40 years since I was 61. While I still enjoy racing, and am very good at what I do, the travel gets to be a pain and because of old injuries and degenerative joint disease, I'm usually hurting pretty badly at the end of a four day race weekend. While I've been threatening to retire after the last two seasons, I still love the racing and I've recently had three surgical procedures to help alleviate chronic hip and leg pain. We'll see how it goes for the next few weeks and I'll make my decision before the season starts in April.

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 02-23-2019, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
Trying to decide whether to retire from working in auto racing after over 37 years...24 professionally...or continue for another season or two. I'm now 68 and have been retired from my "day job" profession of over 40 years since I was 61. While I still enjoy racing, and am very good at what I do, the travel gets to be a pain and because of old injuries and degenerative joint disease, I'm usually hurting pretty badly at the end of a four day race weekend. While I've been threatening to retire after the last two seasons, I still love the racing and I've recently had three surgical procedures to help alleviate chronic hip and leg pain. We'll see how it goes for the next few weeks and I'll make my decision before the season starts in April.
Any chance you can stay close to racing but doing a different job or role? Sounds like it's very difficult on the body.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Hey Neil, I know you have your hands full with life but I just wanted to say I'm glad you're one of my AGF friends. I wish you the best with how things turn out with your son.
Thanks, Dru. I feel guilty saying this, but for a good stretch of time I was neglecting and second-guessing myself. That's something I'm trying to change. At least I have my own health, but I need to get more active in all facets of life again.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic