The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-08-2003, 09:37 AM

Talking $3000 for a new guitar, what do you buy and why?

I'm curious and just might be in this situation soon.
I just sold a guitar (D41) and have been doing some saving.
I'm thinking a Martin D42 or Taylor 914c. I'm leaning towards the dred. Any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2003, 09:46 AM

914c all the way

(no, i'm not biased....)

Bose PAS - Single Bass Unit
http://www.myspace.com/donbecker
Old 12-08-2003, 10:16 AM

I'd get a Martin D41 or 42 this time around. I've also been thinking lately of geting back into electric. Haven't owned an electric guitar in almost 30 years, but I think its time to change that.

Rick

(if I could spend $6-$7000 I'd get a Liberty Tree.)
Old 12-08-2003, 10:24 AM

Default Re: $3000 for a new guitar, what do you buy and why?

Quote:
Originally posted by Taylor007
I'm curious and just might be in this situation soon.
I just sold a guitar (D41) and have been doing some saving.
I'm thinking a Martin D42 or Taylor 914c. I'm leaning towards the dred. Any thoughts?
Either is nice! Though since you have a 614, maybe the D42 makes sense. But why did you get rid of the D41 though?

The 614 and 914 will sound very different because of the maple on the 614. I played a 614 and 914 at a store the other day and was surprised how different they were. It was the first time I'd noticed so much difference between a 614 and other models; not sure if it was the particular guitars, or what....

The 614 was so bright....that the 914 when first played sounded rather muddy....it took a minute or two to adjust to the sound.

But I have to say; I liked both. It just depends upon the kind of music you play and what you like.

Success is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm -- Winston Churchill
Old 12-08-2003, 10:26 AM

Cool

I am pretty much in this exact position. Bearing in mind I have not played the models you mentioned, & for me, I have to see & play the guitar before I buy it (no LD deals for me...)

I'm leaning towards a Collings D2H (herringbone dred, indian rosewood), or a similar Huss & Dalton D-RH, or the H&D MJ (mini? modified? jumbo). The MJ was really nice. Have not tried any high end Martins as yet, I'm not entirely sure I want a Martin, though intially a Martin style D was what I though I was after. Except for the fact I keep getting drawn to modified jumbos...

EG, I just played a Goodall Concert Jumbo, Sitka with Macassar Ebony ... custom ordered by the dealer for himself, but he wound up tying $$ into other axes & has to sell it. Holy moly what a guitar! It's well over $4K though, but I'm a-makin' the OT these days, & this thing is flatout amazing... so I'm seriously going HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM <pant sweat>

I'm finding one is in a troublesome spot looking in the $3K range... w/ that dollar in mind, some of those custom builders are just over the horizon...
Old 12-08-2003, 11:04 AM
Charter Member

For $3000, I'd be trying to find a Goodall. Of course, that suits my ears and the stuff I play. Given that you're interested in Martin, and like dreads, I'm guessing that you might be flatpicking a bit. If so, I'd look really hard at a Collings (probably the D2H as someone else suggested). It is, to me, everything a Martin ought to be - and more.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:36 AM

I LOVE COLLINGS GUITARS!
I would recomend them to anybody, they beat just about e everything in their price range. I may be a little biased to because they are made about an hour and 1/2 from where I live: Austin, Tx., everything made in tx is better, just look at me!
Truthfully, Collings are great guitars.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:39 AM

I have to agree with architex, if you like dreads you need to look at Collings they are spot on your price break and for a little more you can get one with Adoriondike spruce on the top which is very desirable in a dread. I had a friend bought a very plain looking one with mahogany and Adoriondike top and it looked very simple and plain but man it was a tone cannon. He had about 3 or so in it.

Collings DS2H MhA "Bubba"
Collings OM 2H "Colleen"
Collings "Herb Special"
Eastman AR610CE-CS " Jazz "
Martin 000 28c MH "Merle"
Dudley Classical Dudley"
Baby Taylor "Baby Hoggy"
Old 12-08-2003, 11:45 AM
Guitar Gourmet

914ces L1 (Cindy). No question.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-08-2003, 11:54 AM

Default RE: $3k Guitar

beach bob beat me to it. I was going to say a Huss and Dalton DRH or Collings D2H.

-Chris
Old 12-08-2003, 12:06 PM

Breedlove C25
Old 12-08-2003, 12:18 PM

If it's just between the D42 and the 914ce...I'd go for the D42. Eventhough your 614 is going to sound different than a 914...it's still a Taylor sound. It's like buying two corvettes only slightly different engines and a different color. The Martin as you know gives you a completely different sound.

I have a x14 and a Martin HD28v. (which as you know is the same as far as structure is concerned.) I appreciate having two completley different guitar qualities.

If you are considering other dreads...then the Collings and Huss and Dalton have to be considered. If you're looking for a guitar more like the 914 ....I'd find a used Goodall RCJ under the $3,000 mark and now you've REALLY got something....

If I didn't own a 614, and wanted a Taylor the 914ce would be my choice.....

Last edited by JimC; 12-08-2003 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-08-2003, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JimC
If it's just between the D42 and the 914ce...I'd go for the D42. Eventhough your 614 is going to sound different than a 914...it's still a Taylor sound. It's like buying two corvettes only slightly different engines and a different color. The Martin as you know gives you a completely different sound.

If I didn't own a 614, and wanted a Taylor the 914ce would be my choice.....
Thats kind of what I was thinking. A while back, I bought a 714 cedar top BUT returned it shorty after purchase. It was different, but the same. I'm not in a hurry, and really love the tone of the forward shifted bracing on certain Martins. I'm not much of a bluegrasser, and the F.S.B. seems perfect for acoustic rock. This is great feedback though fellas, keep it coming.
Old 12-08-2003, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stixx
I have to agree with architex, if you like dreads you need to look at Collings they are spot on your price break and for a little more you can get one with Adoriondike spruce on the top which is very desirable in a dread. I had a friend bought a very plain looking one with mahogany and Adoriondike top and it looked very simple and plain but man it was a tone cannon. He had about 3 or so in it.
If you like dreads - I STRONGLY recommend you look at a Collings CJ. Trust me on this one - you'll be happy you did....

2001 Collings CJ-A mahogany
2010 Taylor GS Mini
1995 Taylor GA-WS Ltd
2000 Taylor 512-CEFB (Taylor Custom Shop NAMM-Show)
1999 Taylor 355-12 String
1999 Larrivee Parlour (mahogany)
because of GAS - way too many electrics to list
oh yeah, I almost forgot - an ancient Ovation Balladeer for camping trips.

De Colores!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:10 PM

Dreads - Collings

SJ's/ MJ's/ Deep Bodied OM's / Whatever you want to call them - Breedlove
Ebony tuner buttons
L.R. Baggs Dual Element

SOLD: 2003 Larrivée L-09

SOLD: 2003 Larrivée OM-03R

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification