The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-28-2022, 06:49 AM
Charter Member

I played nothing but acoustic guitar for 25 years. Self-taught, learned a bunch of chords, but not how to read music.

Then I bought a nice Strat, and quickly figured out that acoustic and electric are two completely different things. And I didn't have 25 years to figure out the Strat, so I started taking lessons. Learned scales and keys from a very good teacher (RIP, Bill). Figured out the pentatonic scale in C,G,D, and A, and spent many hours playing lead along with CDs, "Hell Freezes Over" mostly.

Then, through an unlikely series of events, I found myself playing lead guitar for a classic rock band. We had some success and a lot of fun, and played 60 gigs in 3 years. I flogged the heck out of that pentatonic scale, and didn't care too much about sounding, note for note, like the original. I just tried to capture the essence. I remember fondly the four times I received a round of applause after a lead break.

I swear that, being so immersed in musical theory at that time, that my brain rewired itself. I still can't read music, but if I hear something I have a better understanding of what is going on. And, if the key is C,G, D, or A, I can identify it right away.

And, FWIW, I've read that Paul McCartney doesn't read music.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:11 AM

Based on my personal experience, I would say learning chord theory--how chords are formed, why some chords go together and some don't, and how chords move on the guitar neck-- is a lot more important than learning to read music, for guitar playing. Learning to read music will definitely not hurt you, of course, but the guitar is a unique instrument because you can figure out the fret board without having to have the ability to read music. If your guitar time is finite, which is true for most of us, than putting your guitar time into learning chord theory rather than learning to read music seems like a better way to go.
Old 04-28-2022, 07:18 AM
Charter Member

I can read music and I have been able to since fourth grade so that's not an issue I've had to deal with. And I know some music theory. I mean, anyone who can play the guitar knows at least some music theory even if they can't articulate it. But music theory is a very broad subject and not all of it is applicable to guitar, or even what you want to do on the guitar. It is not hard when trying to learn music theory to get off on some tangent that is taking you nowhere in that sense. So the natural tendency is to say music theory is just a waste of time when in reality it is simply that the music theory that is being studied is not relevant. I know this because I've gone off on that road many times

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 04-28-2022, 07:23 AM

Theory is a big topic. Some of it you'll probably never use. Some of it is so important and fundamental I hate that it gets called theory...it should be called "The non-negotiables"

Here's my take on it...

1. Know the fretboard-- every note, every fret. It makes life easier if you want to learn more complex things.

2. Know the major scales. I'm not even talking about playing them, though that certainly doesn't hurt, but know how to spell them. The information they give is invaluable, and since almost all of the music you're likely playing has it's harmony rooted in the major scale, it's mandatory.

3. Know how to construct and spell chords using the major scale. I've had students ask me how many chords I know. Once you know how to construct and spell them, you know ALL the chords. Really. You're guitar George. Combine this with #1, and the whole guitar is completely liberated...once you know that say, a Gmaj7 chord is ANYWHERE you can play a G, B D, and F# together-- look out.

Are these things "theory?" I suppose. But to me they're the meat and potatoes of taking your playing to the next level. There's a lot of other stuff (the dreaded "modes" for example) that have places, but not necessarily benefits for everyone...but I don't think there's a player out there in any style that couldn't benefit from learning these three things. And you don't even need a book!

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 04-28-2022, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
Theory is a big topic. Some of it you'll probably never use. Some of it is so important and fundamental I hate that it gets called theory...it should be called "The non-negotiables"
I think of the majority of it as a language (a set of conventions and symbols) rather than theory.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-28-2022, 08:12 AM
Charter Member

Theory knowledge is good. But for me there is a point where I don't care to get any deeper into it and just use my ears to achieve what I am seeking. I have yet to see a musician play and think how much theory he must know.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 04-28-2022, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I don't do notation nor tablature.
i consider them "instructions" rather than Information.
In my teachig I try to minimise theory but some aspects I find most helpful - Harmonising the scales, and, "CAGED" which also helps towards "Learning the fretboard".
I feel that for most of us , we just learn theory as and when it becomes necessary, but I'm not sure that my head/hard drive is big enough to absorb it all.
Old 04-28-2022, 08:35 AM

I went down the rabbit hole of music theory. I was playing for 6 months but a instructor who couldn't explain intervals, suggested a music theory book. I got rid of the instructor shortly, but started me on my path of music theory.

I took a music theory class from the community college. I even repeated the class. I even took a class online to fill gaps. Now I can converse intelligently with music theory with my instructors as we discuss things during my lessons.

Fast forward 2 years, I am now taking guitar (acoustic, harp and classical, piano and singing lessons. I can read music, but not that great fast but I'm here for the journey. I've just scratched the surface, but my knowledge has helped my music theory although I just have much more to learn or know.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 04-28-2022, 11:51 AM

As a very general observation, it seems like folks who played in bands as kids (rock/garage/cover bands, not school bands) have a major leg up when it comes to basic theory because 1. When you learn a lot of cover songs, some theory can't help but sink in, and 2. Theory is how you communicate with each other.

Even if you're not a kid anymore, playing with other people will expose you to useful, practical theory in a fairly painless way.

Couch Standards
Old 04-28-2022, 12:39 PM

The helpful things I know about theory are chord progressions (from the circle of fifths). Knowledge of chord progressions helps you to know which chords sound good together. Another very helpful thing is knowing where the notes are on the fretboard (all the way down the fretboard). I just bought a Hal Leonard Theory book and am learning it in sections so it doesn't become overwhelming. I have had the Vaideology book and only understand parts but it is worthwhile. There is also a Chord Wheel book out there that is very helpful. Learning to read music notes and tab is very helpful. Just take it slowly- don't try to learn it all at once. You will never stop learning as a guitarist. Just break it up into digestible pieces.
Old 04-28-2022, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Is it as difficult as it seems? For a guy who doesn't read music? I clicked on Rick Beato's "a semester of music theory in an hour" YT video. I understood a fair amount of it but at about 15 minutes in he lost me. I guess he expects you to have a basic working knowledge of it.
So my question is this: Can a guy like me who doesn't read music (treble/bass clef) learn music theory or is reading music a pre requisite? I keep waiting for the light to come on...
Hi Jim
I think a good way to pursue theory is to take a basic piano class and a basic theory class…perhaps at a community college.

You would likely learn scales (major and minor) and chord formation (simple and expanded) as well as some simple pieces.

Music Theory is universally applied theory, not Guitar theory specifically.

But there is such a thing as learning theory only as it applies to guitar, and there are books about it, and videos about it. Some are far more complex than others.

And there is Jazz guitar applied theory, and classical guitar theory, and Gypsy Jazz theory, Bluegrass theory etc.

If you are good at monkey-see/monkey-do note reading is non-essential.

If you are trying to write pieces which compete with the Gershwin Brothers, you need full-on theory.

Have fun and keep us posted!!

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-30-2022, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
Is it as difficult as it seems? For a guy who doesn't read music? I clicked on Rick Beato's "a semester of music theory in an hour" YT video. I understood a fair amount of it but at about 15 minutes in he lost me. I guess he expects you to have a basic working knowledge of it.
So my question is this: Can a guy like me who doesn't read music (treble/bass clef) learn music theory or is reading music a pre requisite? I keep waiting for the light to come on...
My answer is you can learn theory and learn to read music together. I learned standard notation by comparing it to tablature. I'm very comfortable with tab, been using it for decades. Most tab these days comes with standard notation and I have a program that will convert one to the other if need be. I started with basic fingerstyle in tab which gives you precise fingerings and basic rhythm and compared with the standard as I went along. Having a basic understanding of standard notation would be a prerequisite but that is not difficult to obtain. It's second nature now when I play a song in tab to check the standard for more of a nuanced and descriptive interpretation.
Old 04-30-2022, 09:32 AM

"Theory" is an unfortunate name, I prefer "language."
Old 04-30-2022, 09:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbia View Post
"Theory" is an unfortunate name, I prefer "language."
Hi columbia…
Not sure I get your point. Are you indicating that any language pertaining to music or guitars is in actuality theory?

Or do you think there are aspects of music (notation, chord progressions, scales etc) which are part of music the way numbers, equations, base etc pertain specifically to math?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-30-2022, 10:13 AM

I get the idea of language. I prefer the word vocabulary. 'Notation', 'chord', progrssion' and 'scales' are all words used to describe stuff we encounter in music. These words that describe or relate to ideas and observations allow us to discuss, teach or learn concepts and events that occur when music is played.

We call it 'Theory'. It's not theory in the same way as Darwin's Theory of Evolution is a theory, an idea of how something might have happened. Its theoretical as opposed to practical, where practical is doing it and theoretical is thinking or talking about it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write