The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Default Chang'n a Big Round Neck to a Modified V??

I found the guitar I want, but as usual I really like a deep neck with a Modified V and so I've found the guitar with the sound I want and the neck is good and deep, but if I could just knock the edges off the round into a Modified V it would be perfect... is this something I should try and do myself (i'm pretty handy) or is this a job for a Master Luthier only?

Any constructive advice welcome!

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-21-2017, 08:27 PM

If you are willing to risk it, then go for it.

Even a luthier wont warrant that job if they were to do it.

There are so many unknown variables in regards to where the truss rod is, how structurally strong the neck is after finishing and so forth.

When I make a neck with a hard or soft Vee, I usually have a slightly thicker neck at the nut than I do when making a soft D of classic C shape.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 01-22-2017, 09:05 AM

Remember that this change isn't really reversible... If you mess it up - it's a very large fee for a new neck (or a whole new guitar)

First... What sort of guitar are you doing this on. Is it a $75 guitar or a $2,700 guitar?

If it's a cheap $60 beater you can easily replace it it doesn't fo to plan... Sure - go right ahead.

Next... Does it have an adjustable truss rod?

If it's hard to replace or expensive, and especially if it doesn't have an adjustable truss rod... I would leave it be and just adapt your playing style to the guitar.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:01 AM

It is a like new custom $4600 guitar. I am paying $3000 if I get it.

As for adapting playing style... I have physical injuries which make a V neck dramatically more comfortable to play. I cannot find many V neck guitars and of the few you do find I have never found one that has "my" tone. This guitar is very close in tone and neck... it just seems like shaving an 1/8" off the corner of each round of the neck would not be major surgery.

I have watched a video of Bill Collings sit down at a music festival with a piece of sand paper and re-profile some one's neck while sitting in the audience before the famous owner went on stage.

Gibson "Custom Late 1950's Reissue Southern Jumbo Triburst"
Taylor 314CE (Built by Ren Ferguson)
Mystery Resonator
Fender Stratocaster
Old 01-22-2017, 10:37 AM

I love V-shaped necks myself. It's not a terribly difficult thing to do but that's an expensive guitar too so why not just put down a few more hundred and just get it done right to ease your mind.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:21 PM

Here is a big VEE neck for my #4 build D-28 its takes a few necks to get it right

Gibson Les Paul
Gibson 335 Dot
Bunch of Strats
Fender B-Bender Tele
Old 01-23-2017, 07:32 PM

On a $4,000+ custom build... Nope. Hire that out to a good luthier who does this sort of thing....

If it was a $100 Esteban sitting in the closet - sure... Get out the tools....

If it's a luthier guitar - contact the original builder... They usually have quite a bit of experience carving necks to suit your fancy.

Replacing a neck costs a LOT of money in comparison.... And one good slip with the tools could mean a new neck...

Thanks

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair