The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-04-2013, 07:56 PM

Default I just wanted a little $15 Paige capo, not a relationship!

So before I order an Elliott capo I thought I'd try the same similar design. Decided on a Paige capo. No need ordering from across the country. I see that Sweetwater is the next state over...great it will be here by Friday. Order it online about 1am last night. Never used Sweetwater before. Thought it was done. Nope!!!!!!

At 9am my cell rings, didn't know the number, answered and off we went. Hi I'm XXX from Sweetwater your personal sales engineer, how are you? Uh, ok. That's cool man, so what kind of music do you like? Uh, what? classic rock. That's cool man, really cool. Let me tell you a little about myself.....and on and on he went, then he tried more questions....so how long you been playing man? I stopped his 9am enthusiasm and said, "you realize all I bought was a little capo right? Yeah man, that's really cool. What guitars are you going to use it on? Tell me about your gear!!

Look, I appreciate your enthusiasm, but it's 9am, I've got to get to work, I order online because I just want to order and be done. Just want a cheap little capo not a relationship. His response....that's cool bro...I'll call you in a couple of weeks after you've used it and get your thoughts. Note to self...don't answer this number in 2 weeks. Why didn't you guys warn me!!!
Old 06-04-2013, 08:32 PM

You won't have that problem with Guitar Center, give them a try.
Giffin Vikta
Gibson Custom Shop ES 335 '59 Historic RI
‘91 Les Paul Standard
‘52 AVRI Tele - Richie Baxt build
Fender American Deluxe Tele
Fender Fat Strat
Old 06-04-2013, 09:08 PM
Guest 2563

Default I just wanted a little $15 Paige capo, not a relationship!

Right. I walked into the GC in Ft Meyers tonight and asked for a Paige capo as mine broke. Took three sales goobers before one of them looked it up online and said" wow, that's really old school man".
When will I ever learn to stop going there?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:27 PM

Never had that issue with Sweetwater. I've bought PLENTY of gear from them (and will continue to do so)for a good reason. Personally, I like everything about the situation you described save the timing of the call.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:34 PM

They're trying too hard. A good salesman can assess a customer's interest in being helped and move in or back off accordingly. This guy couldn't do that. Maybe it was the phone.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:44 PM

Yes that is creepy!i guess you have to screen your calls more carefully!
Old 06-04-2013, 09:50 PM

It's just their sales technique. I had the same thing happen when I bought two harmonicas from them a couple years ago. I just blew the guy off and sent an email to customer service asking that they not call me unless there was a serious problem with an order. They've honored my request and I've made several other purchases. Good folks, excellent service. I like doing business with them.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 06-04-2013, 09:55 PM

I can't say I have dealt with Sweetwater in about 15 years so my information may be out of date. But the same thing happened to me when I ordered something from them over the internet. Phone calls all over the place, and so forth. It probably took a couple of years for this to stop.

Well, now you know why I haven't ordered anything from them in about 15 years.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:47 PM

I got that call, but my sales rep wasn't at all intrusive. Yeah, I think that's definitely trying too hard in your case. Soft sell ...just make the customer know you're waiting on him ...that's all you need. And FWIW, I love SW and have bought from them much and will continue to do so. I just screen that area code when it comes up on my cell.

Edward
Old 06-04-2013, 11:06 PM

Wink

Mike Griggs at Strings and Beyond has an amazing staff and they fill orders quickly and with no creepy stuff, like phone calls. Sometimes they send you extra fun stuff like flat picks and ... I'm just a fan. Order your stuff from them, you'll not be sorry. And free shipping for orders up to $150 right now....

2017 Breedlove Oregon Concerto E
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert Rogue
1994 Guild DV72
1994 Guild D65S
2011 Taylor GC8
1995 Washburn EA20 "Festival Series"
Old 06-05-2013, 12:17 AM

I think one phone call a couple weeks after the order has arrived would be OK. Just ask about the product and make sure they are happy. Although if you ordered online an email would be even better. But yeah, they have called me before and after. Always pleasant but not needed for a pack of strings.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Charter Member

i've received phone calls from several sales engineers at sweetwater, this despite the fact that the only time i bought there was a complete failure for me. i find the calls annoying, and have told them so, but i still get 'em. if i don't answer, they try again later *sigh*

when our regular sales guy left hollywood gc, the new rep that took over my account started emailing me about sales that often are for electric guitars, which i don't even play. then i was given to a new rep after who emailed me a thank you for buying a guitar a couple weeks ago - i didn't buy, i sold a bass - but at least they contact me by email, and an email doesn't interrupt my day.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:40 AM

For every normal person who would be a bit puzzled by a courtesy call for a capo there'd be another 10 nuts out there hitting the roof if they weren't called and pampered and made to feel special.

Their fury would be unleashed in cascading grandiose pontificating paragraphs of rage on some internet forum somewhere.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:49 AM

I have bought a wide number of products from Sweetwater, and have benefited from their approach of having a "go-to" guy who is familiar with my account, my needs, and my way of doing business. Brent Leuthold is my guy there, and he does a marvelous job. I recommend them and him regularly, despite the fact that they have not yet become AGF Sponsors.

cotten
Old 06-05-2013, 04:56 AM

What's a sales 'engineer' ?

Kronbauer TDK MJ
Taylor GC6
Taylor NS62ce
Gibson J-45 Rosewood Modern Classic
DiGiorgio Classic 28-1975
Digiorgio Guarany C2-1979
Washburn R 314K
Fender Telecaster '73
Feneder Stratocaster
Tacoma Thunder Chief Acoustic Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
Daddy Mojo C5 Cigar Box
Kamoa Custom Shop 700 T Uke
Kamoa FM-T Uke
Martin Style 0 1944 Uke
Kala Acacia Tenor Uke
Washburn Banjolele

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion