The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: Which Guitar?
Tanglewood (1k) 3 30.00%
Lowden or simillar (3k) 7 70.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Default Tanglewood or Lowden?

OK deliberatly stupid thread title to get your attention

I have had a handmade Bozo acoustic for many years. Sadly it was attacked by a concrete floor and I need to replace it. As I have not been shopping in a decade or so, I was amazed at the variety and quality of guitars out there. Seems like the chinese made brands have really caught up.

I am looking for a Grand Auditorium or Jumbo, preferably with Pickup. Its 99% instrumental I play

In my hunt, I have played Guilds, Martins, Freshmans, Lowdens, Tanglewoods, Yamahas, and Matons

I am settling on a Tanglewood TSR2. Its not amazing, but it is to my eyes beautiful and very balanced

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/p...sign/TSR2.html

My favourites are the Lowdens. But they are not cheap. I can probably afford to buy one second hand say to a budget of 3-4k. The Bensusan model is particuarily appealing. In some ways I would feel guilty about getting one - I just play at home for my own pleasure

What do you think of the TSR2 versus Lowden in terms of value for money?
Old 12-16-2011, 09:43 AM

you should add Goodall to your list -- thou i am very fond of Lowden
Old 12-16-2011, 09:45 AM

Anytime you compare a "value" brand to a premium brand for "value for money", the "value" brand will win hands down.

But if guitar is your passion, whether you play in your bathroom or at a stadium, no "value for money" will replace the sheer pleasure of owning a premium instrument.

You are comparing a Tanglewood with one of Lowden's worse values -- a Pierre Bensusan signature model. There are many similarly appointed Lowdens that cost a good chunk less. I'd go for one of these.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNewbie View Post
Anytime you compare a "value" brand to a premium brand for "value for money", the "value" brand will win hands down.

But if guitar is your passion, whether you play in your bathroom or at a stadium, no "value for money" will replace the sheer pleasure of owning a premium instrument.

You are comparing a Tanglewood with one of Lowden's worse values -- a Pierre Bensusan signature model. There are many similarly appointed Lowdens that cost a good chunk less. I'd go for one of these.
Fair comment

Has anyone owned a TSR2 for a few years and can offer advice on how they age and play plugged in. B Band pickups are a bit of a put off..
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 AM

Welcome to the forum D1stant
Your Tanglewood link appears to be broken.....

I am confused as to why you want your guitar to have a pick-up if you "just play at home" for your own pleasure. None of my business but you could save yourself some money by going purely acoustic & you can get a lot of acoustic guitar for your budget.

Cheers
Vic
Old 12-16-2011, 11:27 AM

Sorry should have been clearer

Gigs possible so pickup interesting

Does this work?

http://www.tanglewoodguitars.co.uk/p...sign/TSR2.html
Old 12-16-2011, 12:16 PM

I have played lots of these. I have also played real Swedish made Sanden guitars. My reaction is this. Get a real Sanden. This is a Chinese version that looks similar but sounds nothing like the original. Tanglewood makes nice guitars and IMHO the best ones are the more traditional designs.

If what you really want is an overtone rich sustainy guitar like lowden or Sanden then you need to bite the bullet.

Larrivee and Irish made Avalon offer a more affordable alternative.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankhond View Post
I have played lots of these. I have also played real Swedish made Sanden guitars. My reaction is this. Get a real Sanden. This is a Chinese version that looks similar but sounds nothing like the original. Tanglewood makes nice guitars and IMHO the best ones are the more traditional designs.

If what you really want is an overtone rich sustainy guitar like lowden or Sanden then you need to bite the bullet.

Larrivee and Irish made Avalon offer a more affordable alternative.
Dang. Thanks but Dang.

Alas Avalons are no cheaper than Lowdens now - was looking at their prices yesterday

Larrivee are a new name for me
Old 12-16-2011, 03:20 PM

Well the good news is that a real Sanden is less than a Pierre Bensusan signature...
Old 12-16-2011, 03:36 PM

Oh and the Avalon prices are not that bad. You should be able to get a 2d hand L32 for well under 2k.
Old 12-16-2011, 03:39 PM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

The one thing I've learned in life is nothing ends up being as expensive as bying the "value for the money" model rather than the one you really want.
You'll spend your time craving what you should have purchased to begin with and end up buying the one you really want eventually.
Might as well save up for that one rather than wasting the money on the "second best" model first.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion