The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2022, 08:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatcomber View Post
I could care less about string trimming or tuner etiquette ,,,,,but the photo should be a sticky in the Record Forum
Classic studio Tube mic ( looks like a Neumann U47) and room treatment

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-29-2022 at 08:21 AM.
Old 01-29-2022, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nymuso View Post
…At home I just get the A from my tuning fork and off I go. However, in a noisy venue when you need to tune before going on, the electronic tuner is absolutely what you want - unless you prefer to go outside by the dumpster like we did back in the day.

This tuning fork “A” method, which was all we had back in the day besides a ‘pitch-pipe,’ was recently described by Tony Rice in his biography as his approach, and there’s no argument here. I’ve rediscovered its merits after reading this! Sharpens the ear and sweetens the current chord pattern. It’s great in a quiet place with one person! He also pokes fun, to put it charitably, at those of us who use electronic tuners.
But as you said, in a noisy venue an electronic tuner is quite useful. Also, any ‘tune by ear’ method requires an excellent ear for such, and not all musicians qualify. In my first 2 decades playing music it was not easy for me, nor accurate. Any theoretical benefits of using the tuning fork method were overwhelmed by human inaccuracies.
Getting a bunch of strings in tune on a band’s various instruments benefits from an objective, non-human standard also.
I used to listen to live concert tapes a bit, and I’ve seen a few shows over the years. The biggest musical improvement I’ve heard in live sound, far above line-array speakers and modern PA equipment, happened when electronic tuners took over.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I remember when these came out that people were complaining about the logo on the clip, muttering nonsense about "free advertising for D'Addario"

Attachment 68945
I use that sound hole tuner too David, on my "stage" acoustic guitar. Thanks for reminding me that I can sand off the logo or mask it with one swipe of a Magic Marker (if it ever bothers me, so far it hasn't). My clip-ons are far easier to use in a hurry, but if I were to perform with one of my other guitars, I'd probably swap in the sound hole unit just knowing how bugged some people can get about things clipped to headstocks.

I saw this thread right before I went on a hike this morning and had the term "etiquette" rolling around in my beady little brain. Not realizing this would be more about aesthetics and less about actual manners, here are some of the wayward thoughts that occurred to me while I walked:

- Remembering those original (pre-clip-on) microphone-driven tuners last century, I never appreciated getting started tuning with mine, only to have another player lean in and start up with the 5th fret, 5th fret, 5th fret, 4th fret, 5th fret "Chinese Blues" standard while I'm still trying to let the tuner hear my E.

- Having played onstage under hot lights, outdoors at parties, at campfires on cold nights, or even moving a guitar from room to room, I've become keenly aware of temperature changes and how they can affect tuning from moment to moment. Sometimes guitars will actually go sharp!

- Something I love that many here despise vehemently is the onboard volume/EQ control panel mounted in the bout right under my chin, WITH a nice digital tuner built in. Indispensable on my buddy's 12-string. YMMV.

- Onstage with an electric guitar, my pedal board has an A/B switch to kill sound and feed a nice bright LED tuner. Crucial if you bend a lot of notes and/or use a whammy bar.

And finally...

- If someone sounds good, I don't care what's sitting up there (short of political gibberish). Unless you're Jimi Hendrix (my guitar hero), there's no excuse to perform out of tune IMHO.

Last edited by tinnitus; 11-09-2022 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:55 PM
Charter Member

As a practical and aesthetic compromise, I mount clip-on tuners with the display behind the headstock. Easy for me to see but not so obvious to the audience.
Old 11-08-2022, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
I'm thinking of switching to open gear tuners to save weight on the headstock.

Brucebubs, under your list of guitars, you need to add your list of tuners...

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
2018 - SNARK
2020 - ....
Old 11-09-2022, 01:45 AM

I’ve got mine attached to the back of the headstock as well. Convenient and it looks clean.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:40 AM

We had a “Gold Man” busker here in Grand Rapids for a few years.

He played in inexpensive guitar that he’d painted gold, and kept his gold-painted Snark on the headstock.

Way to stay on-brand!
Old 11-09-2022, 05:07 AM

This uses a (removable) small magnet to hold the tuner. Fully adjustable and the audience never sees it. Can be left on while guitar is in the case.

https://www.amazon.com/Cling-Tuner-M...ps%2C99&sr=8-2
Old 11-09-2022, 10:23 AM

I have been wondering for years now why we rarely clearly see guitars headstocks on TV shows.

Is there any commercial reason ?
Could it be a reason why those clip-on tuner are kept on the headstocks ?
Old 11-09-2022, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawmow View Post
I have been wondering for years now why we rarely clearly see guitars headstocks on TV shows.

Is there any commercial reason ?
Could it be a reason why those clip-on tuner are kept on the headstocks ?
I doubt that the headstock tuners have anything to do with it. What’s more likely is that the TV network is avoiding showing off the headstock logo.

whm
Old 11-09-2022, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I could care less about string trimming or tuner etiquette ,,,,,but the photo should be a sticky in the Record Forum
Classic studio Tube mic ( looks like a Neumann U47) and room treatment
Is it correct to say couldn't care less?
"Couldn't care less" and "could care less" are both used to mean someone doesn't care at all, but English teachers and grammarians will say that only "couldn't care less" is correct, so that is what you should use in formal or academic writing.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 11-09-2022, 04:26 PM

I'd suggest - do what is right for You - while, not pondering what others might do.

+
Old 11-09-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FingahPickah View Post
As a practical and aesthetic compromise, I mount clip-on tuners with the display behind the headstock. Easy for me to see but not so obvious to the audience.
I do that with my bass. With the guitar and tuner I use the most, the tuner will clip on the neck heel. If I'm gonna be playing way up the neck (rare for me) I'll move the tuner to the strap.

Couch Standards
Old 11-09-2022, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
I doubt that the headstock tuners have anything to do with it. What’s more likely is that the TV network is avoiding showing off the headstock logo.

whm
Nobody will pay for product placement if they're already getting it free.

Couch Standards
Old 11-09-2022, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Hi, I used to use those little mini-cliup Daddario/Planet wave things.

I had one for every instrument and left them on the headstocks.

Thatwas Ok but I got a little peebed at having "Col...ngs" or "Mar...n" etc, but now they all live lonely and unloved in a tin box.

I now use those TC Unitune, and yeah, they're a little obtrusive so I Use 'em and take 'em off.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion