The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-09-2017, 03:09 PM
Guest 928

Tom2;

Do you have a patent on your saddle? I ask because if you do I would be interested in seeing a basic rendering of your design. I am not quite understanding how a saddle on a fixed bridge can adjust height and spacing.

In any event, I appreciate the work that such a project must have entailed. I hope the Barbera is as good as it seems.,
Old 09-11-2017, 03:04 PM

It only adjusts one way, down.

I start with an oversized block of micarta and sculpt it into shape. When it's done, it looks more like a thin compensated nut than a saddle. It's significantly thicker at the top than at the base, because the base still needs to fit into the existing bridge. The additional thickness at the top all extends to the back, to accommodate the spacing slots, just like a nut.

I thought about patenting it, but I've walked that path before and didn't like it. Maybe I'll publish some pics, which will put it into public domain, as a free gift to humanity.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:13 PM
Guest 928

Tom2;

That's just really neat! You might also consider copyright. A thorough written description is not as good as a patent, but it's a legal document.

What's amazing to me is the simplicity of your design. I think it's elegant.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:39 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Tom2;

That's just really neat! You might also consider copyright. A thorough written description is not as good as a patent, but it's a legal document.

What's amazing to me is the simplicity of your design. I think it's elegant.
I could be wrong, but I don't think you can copyright a product/description. A written description goes along with schematics for a patent. A trademark can be undertaken if the patent is granted.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM
Guest 928

Tom;

You are probably right. I have copyright experience, but no patent history.

I've heard that one form of copyright is to mail yourself the material and that protects your work. Could the same be true of visual patent work?
Old 09-12-2017, 09:16 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Tom;

You are probably right. I have copyright experience, but no patent history.

I've heard that one form of copyright is to mail yourself the material and that protects your work. Could the same be true of visual patent work?
Evan, mailing the material to yourself, even if registered, has been debunked as an appropriate form of protection which apparently won't hold-up in court. I'm pretty sure that registration (lyric and/or recording) with the Library of Congress Copyright Office is the only sure way. So I doubt that one could enjoy patent protection in the same manner.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Great minds think alike.,Tom2. I did something very similar at least 25 years ago. My first guitar - a Sears Silvertone from the late '60's -- had some serious intonation issues, once I learned what intonation was. So I took some plastic and glued a rearward extension onto the saddle to double its exposed thickness, then carved away to make ramps. It worked fine for many years. When that part eventually broke, I routed an extra-wide slot into the bridge, super glued two bone nut blanks together and replicated the idea again. It looks much like the Ovation compensated saddles with triangular cross sections for each string.
http://www.ovationtribute.com/Bridge...a%20Bridge.jpg

An engineering school buddy of mine who plays guitar and happens to now be a patent attorney told me back then that there was quite likely an existing patent out there for something like this. I did not want to invest $4-5K for a professional patent search, and then another $5-10K to file for the patent if it turned out to be available. And that is only the first step. Once you have a patent, you have to either make and sell them yourself, or find someone to do all that and license your invention to them. Or be prepared to sue anyone who infringes on your patent.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:04 PM
Guest 928

Earl;

I thought about a patent, once. The hurdles you mention were daunting. I also read someplace that 90% of patent battles were won by the people with the most money. That doesn't mean the wins were not justified, but it throws another hesitation in the patent process.

Acousticado;

I've never done the slide-the-stuff-in-a-self-addressed-envelope for copyright, but I've thought it to be true. thanks for clearing that up.
Old 09-13-2017, 09:06 AM
Guest 928

Sean;

Any progress pictures?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Sean;

Any progress pictures?
Hi Evan,

Thank you for checking in. Unfortunately, I have no progress photos for you. Alistair is just back from Malaysia where he handed over his latest 'Alistair Hay Custom Design', a dragon-shaped 6-string violin, named Suileach.

He will be getting back to working on custom orders very shortly.

Thanks,

Sean

Dragon Violin Suilleach by Emerald Guitars_MG_1942 as Smart Object-1 by Alistair Hay, on Flickr
Old 10-02-2017, 06:10 PM
Guest 928

Nothing new to add, just keeping the thread alive. This new guitar has been a long time coming, but that's OK, I'm not lazy, just patient. Alistair is taking his time (and mine) working out the dynamics of a new carbon fiber electric guitar. I'm pretty excited, but forcing myself to calm down. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the rest of you and all the new CF guitars arriving at our doorsteps.
Old 10-04-2017, 03:00 PM

Maybe Alistair is innovating in ways that will improve the quality of all future cf nylon guitars. I'm perfectly comfortable waiting for yours.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:11 PM
Guest 928

Tom2;

Wait a minute, I am more than comfortable in waiting for your ideal nylon string acoustic guitar. If it comes out as good as it should, I might even order a duplicate--maybe.

So, go ahead and wait for me--I am waiting for you. I taunt you--mine is in the works, where is yours? Do we need a moderator here? This could get heated.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:22 PM

I think taunting and delay of game are offsetting penalties, so we're both good.
Old 10-06-2017, 03:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
I think taunting and delay of game are offsetting penalties, so we're both good.
(Whistle Tweet!) 15 yard penalty!

;-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber