The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-01-2011, 10:32 PM

Default How can we divide up knowledge of the guitar?

I'm wondering what are the broadest topics that one should cover in their pursuit of knowledge about the guitar, it's music, and performing. I haven't read too many books or taken any classes so for some of you this might seem to echo already known and employed methods/hierarchies. Here's my shot at it.

We have two main aspects, one about the physical techniques and another about music theory (as it relates to guitar).

In the physical aspect we have left and right hand techniques. One learning to play the guitar well should work on exercises that increase the dexterity of both hands and then also how to hold the instrument well (to decrease movement, strain, and allow mobility.) In addition, I think techniques like pinching and palm muting need to fall into this category. To learn these skills one just needs to understand the concept, see a diagram, and practice it. I feel like the physical aspect is really not very demanding. It's going to rely on the theory aspect to gain the muscle memory to remember chord shapes, scales and whatnot.

In the theory department it seems like there's some pretty general things to learn. All of the notes, up and down the fretboard and in different tunings. All of the chord shapes, in different tunings as well. One would have to know how to make chords. You'd need to learn the scales. Also keys. You'd need to learn all of the different rhythms (tempos? I'm not to familiar with this area. There are different types of rhythm that define different types of music, right?)

What kind of stuff am I leaving out? Maybe it would be a good idea to check the Julliard class schedule!
Old 01-01-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Coe View Post
Maybe it would be a good idea to check the Julliard class schedule!
Might not be a bad idea. ... I enjoyed and contributed to your similar thread in the General Discussion area. I must admit, though, that while I find interesting your rather academic view of the process of guitar-playing/music making and admirable your notion that there might some day be a means of establishing a universal source of practical and theoretical knowledge from which we all may seek assistance in our instrumental journey (the prototype of which may well be the Internet), I suspect that there is out there a significant percentage of aspiring musicians who, like me, would instinctively struggle along largely unaided, even with an awareness of this font of information. Some of us are basically autodidacts. Others work better and progress more rapidly with formal instruction. Still others need only to observe what someone is doing correctly and work on replicating it. Books, online courses are the route to faster/greater success for some. Quite honestly, I imagine that I would be a technically better guitarist today if I had been able to commit myself to some kind of formal training; at the same time I know myself to be very resistant to lessons of any kind: strenuous self-imposed practice I enjoy; structure prescribed by others I generally prefer to avoid. I might, too, be a quite different guitarist today if I hadn't arrived at what knowledge or approach I have on my own -- and I like my style. ... Even the essentially learn-at-your-own-rate or on-your-own-terms environment of the Internet is ignored by some folks. However people choose to progress in guitar-playing, I like to envision a world in which more people will discover the joy of making music with this instrument.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Coe View Post
I'm wondering what are the broadest topics that one should cover in their pursuit of knowledge about the guitar, it's music, and performing. I haven't read too many books or taken any classes so for some of you this might seem to echo already known and employed methods/hierarchies. Here's my shot at it.

We have two main aspects, one about the physical techniques and another about music theory (as it relates to guitar).

In the physical aspect we have left and right hand techniques. One learning to play the guitar well should work on exercises that increase the dexterity of both hands and then also how to hold the instrument well (to decrease movement, strain, and allow mobility.) In addition, I think techniques like pinching and palm muting need to fall into this category. To learn these skills one just needs to understand the concept, see a diagram, and practice it. I feel like the physical aspect is really not very demanding. It's going to rely on the theory aspect to gain the muscle memory to remember chord shapes, scales and whatnot.

In the theory department it seems like there's some pretty general things to learn. All of the notes, up and down the fretboard and in different tunings. All of the chord shapes, in different tunings as well. One would have to know how to make chords. You'd need to learn the scales. Also keys. You'd need to learn all of the different rhythms (tempos? I'm not to familiar with this area. There are different types of rhythm that define different types of music, right?)

What kind of stuff am I leaving out? Maybe it would be a good idea to check the Julliard class schedule!
I'd add a third area (at least if you're thinking of teaching strategy): repertoire. Songs, IOW.
Naturally, this combines elements of the first two categories, but shows how it all comes together.

And of course there are overlaps between technique and theory too. Eg, is a chord shape or scale pattern "technique" or "theory"? Both, of course. They can be taught as purely technical items ("put your fingers in these places"), but make little sense without at least some theoretical background (theory begins with note and chord names).
A good way of distinguishing technique from theory is to ask what is guitar-specific only? (that's technique) and what would apply to any instrument? (that's theory). So the "C major scale" is theory. But how you play that scale on guitar is technique.

And - as I say - songs are an illustration of how it all works in practice: why we're learning that stuff in the first place!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write