The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM

Default How can i play Faster?

hi guys i bought a new guitar i want to take guitar lesson online.kindly tell me which site is best and suitable to learn guitar thnx ...

Watch Movies Online | Computers and Laptops | Pakistan News
Old 04-22-2010, 06:36 AM
Eric Skye

Congrats and welcome

No doubt others will chime in with good recommendations of websites, phone apps, videos, etc, but I want to make the old school suggestion of looking for a great teacher in you area.

There’s something about actually being in the same small room with a great player week after week that will inspire you in a way that's hard to describe. And it’ll give you a real sense of responsibility to move the ball down the field each week. And you'd have someone to answer every little unique question that pops up.

I remember lessons from twenty five years ago like they were yesterday. I wouldn’t trade that for anything. Even after playing guitar for thirty seven years, professionally most of my adult life, I still take lessons once in a while to get another’s perspective on what I’m doing, and to keep the fire burning.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
Congrats and welcome

No doubt others will chime in with good recommendations of websites, phone apps, videos, etc, but I want to make the old school suggestion of looking for a great teacher in you area.
Truly. On-line lessons and vids are great but unless the explanations and camera angles are crystal clear it can be kind of daunting to learn something, especially in the beginning.

Quote:
There’s something about actually being in the same small room with a great player week after week that will inspire you in a way that's hard to describe. And it’ll give you a real sense of responsibility to move the ball down the field each week. And you'd have someone to answer every little unique question that pops up.
After two years I think I should be, and wish I were further ahead than I am. I had three teachers that, while I got on great personally, because of their student base (90% kids who wanted to learn to shred) it was hard for them to realize that I should be learning music and not just how to play.

After I quit the third time I delved into basic theory myself: triads & 7ths, inversions, scales, etc., admittedly with having started during the last few lessons. But my teacher felt that was enough for me. I didn't. I'm even taking up bass on my own. But there is nothing like sitting "knee to knee" in a room with a great teacher. He or she can answer those questions you think of during the week and show you your bad habits to correct, and proper techniques.

I don't mean to make this about me, rather, to give additional advice and perspective. Being disappointed with an on-line site or with a first live teacher can be discouraging; it need not be. Great teachers are hard to find. Great musicians do not always make great teachers. You have to kiss a lot of toads before you find a prince or princess. That must be kept in mind.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by destinyking View Post
How can i play Faster?
by practicing slower!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 AM

I agree with Eric, find a great teacher and..............

PRACTICE!!!!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 AM

I agree whole heartedly with the local teacher comments, but it does take some effort to find the right fit.
For online lessons, try this guy... http://www.justinguitar.com/
start with his basics.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:57 AM

Try here. There are some tips that are extremely valuable.

http://guitarlessons.com/
Old 04-23-2010, 03:04 PM

Take this advice -

You will probably advance 3 times faster if you learn with a live human showing you things. Internet lessons may be fine, sometimes I learn different ideas on the web. But you need to be able to stop and start over, ask questions, and see it with your own 2 eyes.

Even people who have been playing for a while, my opinion is you learn SO much more by watching and listening to others play. It works both ways, too. At some point. The other person may want you to show them how you're doing something. You both learn, take something away, and the next person you hook up with will offer a whole new set of ideas and vice versa.

I am not any guitar guru by any means. Just offering what I think is good advice.
Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 PM

I also agree that having someone teach you is the best way to form an important grounding for many years to come - I was taught classical guitar at a young age , moved to electric for a while and then started to teach myself acoustic finger picking. But, of course, the classical training with a teacher has been the cornerstone of everything.

On playing fast: Please try to remember that fast isn't necessarily good! People watching who aspire to play guitar or greatly admire guitar players will certainly appreciate someone who can play fast, but playing a piece with tremendous speed can sometimes ruin it's goal, like any music, to be pleasant to listen to.

To learn to play fast: Do you play with a pick or with your fingers? Either way, the key is to take anything, be it a little riff, chord progression or scale and sit down and play it a lot slower than you can already. Sit there and play it slow as ever until your fingers seem to work so independently of your thought processes that you could probably watch a crime thriller and follow it carefully while playing the riff/scale. Then you speed up a bit, and then a bit more, and then a bit more, etc. Type in "Online Metronome" and use that to help gradually build up the speed with a beat in the background.

If you use the slow first method and stick with it on something for a few days, sometimes even a few hours, you'll be amazed at what you can do!
Old 04-23-2010, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

I take it being new to the guitar you mean how to more quickly learn to play the guitar in general and not just how to play the notes faster.
As other have said get a guitar teacher, hopefully a good one. Let him physically pull your shoulder back, tuck your elbow in, stick your fingers
in the right place and with the right pressure for fretting. He will likely spot ten errors you are making in the first couple of minutes and give
instant feedback as you work to correct them. If you are willing to listen and put guided effort into it you will progress much faster than any
other way I know of.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 PM

Marty Schwartz from you tube is considered the best teacher on that site, by many. I can play tons of songs learnt from him. He'll show you how to play everything, it does pay to know how to make basic open chords first. I think he has his own site www.guitarjam.com he is brilliant and don't be put off by learning this way because it has heaps of advantages, like its free and he is available anytime your online, and you can replay parts of the lesson as you go and even pause it to get your head around what your doing and try it then carry on with lesson. Try it you have nothing to lose.

Daza. (just type his name into search box on you tube, you will thank me later)
Old 04-24-2010, 07:27 AM

I don't want to speak for the OP, but I think his question was meant to ask how to "learn faster", rather than actually "play" faster. If that is what was being asked, then I agree with the previous comments that recommend a live, in person, teacher. However, if he really was asking how to play faster notes and chords, the answer is practice, practice, practice!

ReverbNation (originals)

SoundCloud (the Hobo Troubadour)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write