The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Closed Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Charter Member

Default What a journey for my final commission! Jason Kostal Brazilian/German Wedge

The madness all started when I played my first Handmade guitar. I was selling Lexicon Jammans online back in the day and delivered a completed Ebay auction to the buyer who had a creation series Omega. I played it and I knew instantly that I had to have one. I didn't think I could ever afford a handmade since I was a seminary student at the time and had limited income. After talking with Kevin Gallagher, he made a dream possible. Here was my first handmade and first commission. A Brazilian/Cedar MJ creation series Omega number 24 of 25:

My second commission was inspired after watching Pierre Bensusan the first time. I was so intrigued by his tone and the guitars he was playing. This was during a summer when I was doing my CPE (clinical Pastoral education) in an ER for the summer. Once I found out it was a Ryan and went to Ryan's site, I didn't think I could ever afford it. I spoke with Kevin Ryan and I just finished some car payments. For the next two years, I was pretending I still had that car payment and was making fake car payments each month to fund my 30th bday gift for myself. During that time, I travelled up and down the east coast playing all kinds of high end handmades trying to find out what woods I would want for this commission. It started out being a braz/cedar nightingale, but after many talks with Kevin Ryan, I ended up with a African Blackwood/Bosnian Cathedral with absolutely no regrets! here are threads to that one:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=80368

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ad.php?t=83044

12th fret rose inlay done by Kevin Gallagher:

My third commission I wanted something fun and was debating getting an 8 string guitar or a baritone. I did end up choosing a baritone, but this one is very special. It has an inlay that was inspired to help an orphanage in Africa. It is also perhaps the last guitar Kevin Gallagher was able to finish up (besides the neck and finishing). Don Sharp was able to help me out with it and I'm very excited to have it coming soon! You can see it all here:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=153163

After thinking I'd be done since I really have what I want in my acoustics, I then played a Somogyi which changed my life:

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 01-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Charter Member

I fell in love with this Somogyi and wanted to have it. I even tried selling my Ryan at one point to fund it. After some time, I realized that I couldn’t give up my Ryan since it’s the most versatile guitar I have. Till this day, the Somogyi still haunts me (those of you who have played one know what I’m talking about!)

Michael Watts, thanks for ruining my life and introducing me to Jason Kostal see Michael’s inspiring thread here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ghlight=kostal

I saw Michael Watts thread on his new Kostal coming and I was so intrigued. A couple messages went back and forth between me and Michael and then a couple emails went back between me and Jason.

Talk about being at the right place at the right time. Jason emailed me saying he’d be in D.C. visiting his girlfriend’s (Catherine) parents during New Years and it ends up they were staying about 5-10 minutes where I live. Jason and Catherine came over to my house to discuss his builds and my playing styles. Here’s a picture of him playing my Omega.

Jason is finishing his 2 year apprenticeship program with Ervin Somogyi and basically said if you want a guitar that sounds like a Somogyi today, Somogyi can build you one and I can build you one. Of course he will throw in his own style and technique to the build, but I have no doubt in my mind that he will deliver!

I explained to Jason what I was looking for and he listened to my playing. I told him what I liked about each of my guitars and I also told him what I felt was missing from them. When he was playing my Omega, he let the notes sustain, paused, looked up and said, “I get it”.

I feel that Jason gets what I am looking for and he just gets it. Jason is an awesome player and I believe he studied with Hedges (my all time favorite!) He is well connected to the luthier community and speaks so humbly and highly of all other luthiers. Its neat to have a really good player build my next commissioned guitar and I trust that he can build me exactly what I’m looking for.

He said I NEED a Braz/German Modified D. and I believe him! So far he has sent me many pictures of possible braz choices and I have polls in the general acoustic forum here:

Part I: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ghlight=kostal
Part II: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ghlight=kostal

I will fly out to Somogyi’s shop early May to go through some more wood and tour the shop. I will also spend some more time with Jason and just talk more guitars! I am so excited for this build and it might be my last. But we’ll see!

My final guitar specs for this Kostal will be Brazilian/German with Wedge option. Jason received my deposit yesterday so we are good to go! Can’t wait and will keep you posted!

Last edited by ericcsong; 01-20-2011 at 12:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

What a great story, Eric. Congrats to you and Jason both. I'm looking forward to watching the build thread and your thoughts when the guitar arrives.

Congrats!

Kindly,
Danny
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 PM

Yes! I can't wait to see what you guys come up with. I'm anxious for Jason's website to be back up and running...from the few I've seen, he has some real gems coming out of his shop.

How long is the wait for you? I'm sure it's worth it, but man the heart starts to race with anticipation with each milestone (downpayment, wood selection, first cut...)

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-20-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post

Michael Watts, thanks for ruining my life and introducing me to Jason Kostal see Michael’s inspiring thread here:
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ghlight=kostal
You are very welcome Eric! Jason does have an awesome wood stash, if my own guitar wasn't destined for international touring then I'd have been very tempted to go with one of the Braz sets he has...

Enjoy the build, I look forward to enjoying the photos and maybe even playing the finished guitar at some point!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:08 PM
Charter Member

congratulation!!..

I will keep on eye on your next guitar!!!!..

Goodall Jumbo Royal Hawaiian

Merill & Co C-41

Merill & Co OM-18
Old 01-21-2011, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcmusic7 View Post
What a great story, Eric. Congrats to you and Jason both. I'm looking forward to watching the build thread and your thoughts when the guitar arrives.
thanks Danny, appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeastman View Post
How long is the wait for you? I'm sure it's worth it, but man the heart starts to race with anticipation with each milestone (downpayment, wood selection, first cut...)
a little over a year now. its hard to say fo sure since he will be moving out of Somogyi's shop and into his own later in the year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
You are very welcome Eric! Jason does have an awesome wood stash, if my own guitar wasn't destined for international touring then I'd have been very tempted to go with one of the Braz sets he has...
Isn't that the truth! he's sent me some pretty incredible pics so far!

Old 01-21-2011, 07:13 AM

So Eric, I know the DW crew was left hanging on the 'Dream Guitar' thread...or maybe all the GASers are here as well

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-21-2011, 07:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeastman View Post
So Eric, I know the DW crew was left hanging on the 'Dream Guitar' thread...or maybe all the GASers are here as well
what is DW crew?

Old 01-21-2011, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcsong View Post
what is DW crew?
Ah, brain fart...I was thinking of someone else.

DW - Developing Worship, another forum several on here are a part of. Sorry for the thread hijack

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-21-2011, 07:49 AM

Jamin, I think you might be confusing Eric for me. DW = Developing Worship. We had a thread discussing our dream guitars. I'm about to start a build thread for my commission shortly. But this thread should be a good one to watch too!
Old 01-21-2011, 07:53 AM

You're right, I was All you lucky guys with Bay-Area luthiers are confusing me

Burner MS #0013
Taylor 414rce
Taylor 716ce-ltd
Cordoba 75r
Old 01-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert View Post
Jamin, I think you might be confusing Eric for me. DW = Developing Worship. We had a thread discussing our dream guitars. I'm about to start a build thread for my commission shortly. But this thread should be a good one to watch too!
with who?

Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM
AGF Sponsor

Eric,

Congrats. Jason is a great guy. He is the type of guy I would want on my team no matter what we were doing. I have got to know him (and Catherine) a little bit this year and I look forward to getting to know them more in the future. I haven't had the chance to play Jason's guitars yet, but I am sure they are exceptional just like the guy making them.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Awesome! Can't wait to see this develop. As I was reading Michael's post about his new Kostal build it really got me thinking and looking into Jason's guitars. If I could afford to commission a new build Jason would probably be the one I'd select.... Alas, no money for new guitars right now....
Omega Legacy MJ02 (#116) in Birdseye Maple & Bearclaw Sitka
Tom Anderson Cobra in Flame Maple on Mahogany
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop