The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 11-27-2001, 12:23 PM

Smile mapletrees - Razz technique for the tbondo whine

About your razz problem. I think you
probably tried to add it after you
typed the stuff below. I can't get this
to work either. You can always type in
the appropriate text and the software will
create the graphic for you.
Text for instant graemlins l to r top to bottom:

= smilie
= frown
:o = embarrassed
= Big Grin
= wink
= razz
= cool (sunglasses smilie)
= rolleyes

Guitar content. I tried the ever evil metronome last night. It distracts
my brain to the point I have a hard time
thinking about what my fingers are supposed
to be doing. I guess it just take some
getting used to.....
X-mas songs are coming along well. Especially
O Tannebaum and God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen.
You could almost recognize them.
Old 11-27-2001, 07:43 PM

Smile

Eric_H...

I was looking through some old posts and saw that I've been having trouble with those little faces going back to Feb and Jan...scary spooky stupid....

The 'ever-evil' metronome?

The metronome is your friend!

sort of like an ever faithful dog...

My mother-in-law in too little clothing at the beach is the true face of evil...

I don't know what your experience is with the metronome...

if you're having trouble using it with fingerstyle stuff I would suspect that you maybe need to go back a few squares...

square one usually being the best square to go back to...

again...with any of this 'guitar stuff'...big, big, big key...you just want to be in control of what you're doing...that way YOU won't get in the way of the music coming out...anyways...none of that 'log bumping about in a raging river' feeling...get control of what you're doing...

it's not too difficult to be in control of what you're doing on the guitar (or any instrument I suppose)...

but

it is very often very easy to not be aware of the fact that you don't really have much control over what you're doing...(it's easy to bumble about - and not realize that you're bumbling about)

back to the metronome...

by the way...recognizing that you're having difficulty using the metronome is a good thing...it is NOT a problem

now, when you are frustrated and have no clue as to why you are frustrated...that's a problem...that's a huge problem...you'll go nuts...

back to the metronome..

start with something simple, master, and move on to something just one step more complicated...master that...etc...

won't take long to 'work up' to using the metronome for fingerstyle music..

another 'by the way'...

something that's obvious but easy to overlook...

well, two somethings...

1) You can't learn faster than you can learn.

2) You learn things quickly.

So...

Chill.

turn the thing on...that's easy...

I'd set it at about 100..

just let it go click click clicking...don't "do" a thing (ha!)...just let it go...

just sitting there...you and the metronome...just let it go...

click

click

click

I think I read something by Chris Proctor where he said others should be aware of your practice, or it should drive them nuts, or drive them out of the house...maybe it was him, maybe someone else...it should be active...

walk out of the room and come back in a few seconds, or a minute, or whatever...

click

click

click

if the tone is annoying and/or harsh, stick it under a pillow or blanket....or maybe buy one with with a softer tone...

remember, there's no guitar yet...

maybe a head bob? no head bobbing yet?

You're hopeless.

Buy a kazoo.

razzamatazz

just start thinking ONE-2-3-4 ONE-2-3-4

don't even say it yet....emphasize the "ONE"

ok, now where can we go from here?

my word...I need a typing tutor word program or something..
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 11-28-2001, 02:22 PM

Quote:
The 'ever-evil' metronome?

The metronome is your friend!

sort of like an ever faithful dog...

My mother-in-law in too little clothing at the beach is the true face of evil...

I don't know what your experience is with the metronome...

if you're having trouble using it with fingerstyle stuff I would suspect that you maybe need to go back a few squares...

square one usually being the best square to go back to...
Well, where to begin??? I've only been playing
for about 1.5 years and never have had any instruction. I will sometimes record simple things I've learned and I appear to be keeping
the time well.

Somewhere in this wonderful internet of ours
someone strongly recommended using a metronome.

So I picked up one at the music shop. It is
great. The ONE has a different sound than the
rest and you can select 1-7 maybe 8 beats for
whatever time signatures your into. It also
has a doubles, triplet,and another setting I can think of at the moment.
Even has a headphone jack.

Well it has been sitting around for months and months and I never seem to use it. Like I said
above, it instantly disconnects my fingers from my brain. Pondering this further,
I think part of the problem is that, I have
it set to sweep.
Backing up a little bit, the metronome has about 12 led lights on it and it sweeps back
in forth and clicks when it hits the end.
The red led and the end changes to green for the one beat. So instead of just counting
ONE, two, three, four, ONE, I'm watching the
little light go back and forth and simultaneously trying to find the correct fret and pluck, then I get behind, then I forget what beat I'm on, etc....

Like you said, Square one, I think I'll try
closing my eyes and just counting. Then maybe
just pluck one string in time.

Quote:
click
click
click

ok, now where can we go from here?
click
click
click
Yes Mr Trees where do we go from here???
I hope this turn out better than Poe's
"The Tell-Tale Heart" click, click, click...

:o

[ 11-28-2001: Message edited by: Eric_H ]
Old 11-28-2001, 04:38 PM

Clickitty Clackitty

I *think* that what Mr. Trees is suggesting is that you get used to the 'nome first, BEFORE you try to have a little trio with it, you, and the guitar.

Just learn to be comfortable with it, hear it, feel it. You will probably find yourself developing a more innate sense of time. You may find yourself inventing little sub-rhythms or even counter-rhythms in your head to accompany the 'nome.

When you're comfortable with it, bring the guitar into the mix will be easier.

And I think you may be right, the lights may be distracting. Don't look. Or get a metronome without lights.
If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone. Romans 12:18
Old 11-29-2001, 09:15 PM

Hey,

Just wondering what operating system folks were using when having trouble with the smiley gremlins.

I've had trouble using my Macintosh. Is it better on a Windoze machine?

Yoda
Old 11-30-2001, 02:16 PM

Mapletrees description is quite good. If you add just a few more chord formulas you have all the ingredients necessary for some really fat sounding jazz. Along with his formulas at the bottom of his post add:

Still in C

min7 = R b3 5 b7 (C Eb G Bb)
min7b5 = R b3 b5 b7 (C Eb Gb Bb)
add11 = R 3 5 11 (C E G F)
add13 = R 3 5 13 (C E G A)

With the chords that mapletrees described, and the chords above you can really start to make the acoustic guitar sound as complete and interesting as keyboard instruments. Some of the chords lend themselves to fingerstyle, because the formations require that certain strings be avoided. This can be hard to do when strumming with a pick.

To make the chords more "interesting" add those 7s, 9s, 11s and 13s. Next time you pick up your guitar try playing a Maj7 instead of a standard major. Play a min7 instead of a standard minor. Also try the following progression (in ank key)

I maj7
ii min7
V 7 (dominant 7)

Then, try the same progression, only substitue a vi min7 for the I maj7

In the key of C this owuld be:

C maj 7
d min7
G 7

A min7
d min 7
G 7

It is interesting to note that an A min7 and a C maj7 are so close (C maj7 = C E G B; A min7 = A C E G) This relationship holds in any key. So, feel free to substitute a vi min7 for I chord. The same thing holds true for the IV chord (use a ii min7 as a bustitute) and a V chord (use a iii min7 as a sub).

Adding the 7,9,11 chords and using the ii iii and vi minor7 substitutions opens up your music tremendously, and can even make those old "tired" songs sound brand new again.

david
Old 11-30-2001, 02:20 PM

Uhh...... I'm about as dumb as a bag of hammers! I posted the above to the wrong thread.

For my next trick I will attempt to walk and talk at the same time!!!
Old 12-01-2001, 11:13 PM

David,

Don't be so hard on your self...that's our job!
Old 12-08-2001, 09:00 PM

Smile

Yoda..a computer friend wired me up to the internet with some sort of wire and dial mish mash made up from a 1980 Atari Pac Man game, a black and white TV complete with knobs, a rotary phone, and a toaster. Mrs Trees suggested I dump a glass of water over my head and poke around with a butter knife....doesn't work...

Edgar_H Poe.....

always always always break things down to simpler tasks if you're stumped or having difficulty....doesn't matter how many 'steps back' you have to take...if they're steps in the right direction...

Paul was right on there...let it click...let it go...let it go...don't touch the guitar...just you and the metronome...get so you can think ONE-2-3-4....

little head bobs...a slightly bigger head bob on the ONE...

...after a while you'll feel it....

tap your foot...emphasize the ONE...

start counting in time OUT LOUD with the metronome...again emphasize the ONE...whisper the 2,3,4...

before touching the guitar bring more of your body into it...you could clap the ONE and just whisper the 2,3,4...

you could whack your table (or desk or whatever) on the one like a drummer....

do whatever you want...

once you're at the point where you are DEFINITELY keeping in groove with it ....you've got options

1) just go with whatever you might be doing...what I mean is...if you are already doing what Paul said (inventing little rhythms on you own, etc...) spend some time with it...drum away...bee bop a diddy bop away...

Have you seen the i-pod man? drum, hum, etc...dance around the house with your metronome...this would be easier to demonstrate than explain...

2) Speeding up and slowing down that nome gradually (but maybe we're ready for something else)

3) Marking off (what's that mean????)

4) Intentionally start counting off more complicated rhythms....but don't try to go from little league to major league in one hop!

5) or you could at the 'confident with ONE-2-3-4' point bring the guitar into it...I would NOT suggest picking one string over and over...a 'bigger' motion such as hitting 'dead' (muted) chords perhaps would be easier to 'feel'...

need details here I know....

metal hot dog tongs?

[ 12-09-2001: Message edited by: mapletrees ]
Indeed, there is something in the current DC/NY culture that equates a lack of unthinking boosterism with a lack of patriotism. As if not being drunk on the latest Dow gains is somehow un-American. - Arianna Huffington May 11, 2009
Old 12-09-2001, 12:19 AM

Paul Baloche (terrific Praise music composer & singer) told a story at a conference I was at about when he worked at a music store, & these guys would come in, buy a metronome, then come back a week later, saying, "this thing's broken! It's slows down & speeds up all the time!" Also observed the jazz band at my college once rehearsing a version of "Take the A-Train" that was marked at something like 240 beats a minute (!), & the director said, "who wants to bet we speed up?", & one of the trombone players said, "my beard against yours" (they both had plenty of whiskers) - the director didn't take the bet. Don't freak out about using a metronome, the praise band I'm in works hard to set exact tempos w/ metronomes during the services, but sometimes the music just has to breath & have a life of it's own, if the song speeds up a bit but still works, then that's more important. Playing w/ a good drummer who keeps steady time is as important (& more fun, although I haven't had the pleasure lately...) as working w/ a metronome. Listen to Count Basie's "Lil' Darlin'" if you want to hear a group that can play slowly syncopated jazz w/o speeding up.
Old 12-09-2001, 07:48 PM

Smile

jaguarzzer...

I think we're going off on two totally different A-Trains of thought here...

metronome as:

A) a 'clock' to set performance tempos

and

A') an impartial practice tool/friend (isolate passage, work it up to speed, work it way past speed to the point of definable errors, work it back down to melt away the errors, work it down as low as low can go to help gain a deeper 'feel' for the rhythm (and gain a better awareness of your fingers and body as a whole....melt with it....)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell