The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SongwriterFan View Post
The Cargo is more similar in size to a "parlor guitar".

It has a 24.9" scale, rather than the more typical 25.4" scale on a full-size guitar.

The Cargo has a 22-3/4" scale.

Not 24.9".

Big difference.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 11-25-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Pattis View Post
The Cargo has a 22-3/4" scale.

Not 24.9".

Big difference.
Oops . . you're right.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:35 PM

I love mine...I only wish the neck was a wee bit thicker...I find it very thin... Also as my big wooden guitar is a dread, I put a cushion on me knee and then the Cargo otherwise I find it such a small body a little uncomfortable to hold...But, would I sell/trade it? No way. I LOVE it... Sits next to me on the sofa all the time...

Sounds amazing compared to the travel sized Martin and Taylor guitars, but the other poster was right, it doesn't sound like a wooden instrument...

Rc
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadian View Post
I put a cushion on me knee and then the Cargo otherwise I find it such a small body a little uncomfortable to hold...But, would I sell/trade it? No way. I LOVE it... Sits next to me on the sofa all the time...
I just put the lower bout on my right knee. Puts the neck very angled up and in a great position.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I just put the lower bout on my right knee. Puts the neck very angled up and in a great position.
Yeah, I've tried that, but I've come to prefer the neck lower (easier on my wrist and forearm) which I why I go for the cushion option...
Old 11-25-2008, 09:17 PM

Interesting. I've always thought that the position I put the Cargo in is what the "perfect position" really is supposed to be. (Maybe I'm wrong about that?)

I wish all my other guitars could be put so easily into that position.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:39 PM

Hi Mark,

I think I wrote you this on Youtube as well: That guitar I'm playing on Youtube is just a plain Cargo that I grab first because it's always out. Like everyone else says, the other guitar is a bigger version of the Cargo (or some other model you can see on the compositeacoustics.com site).

The Cargo is very good for finger picking. Actually it's fine for any type of playing as long as you jockey it into a good position. For me the neck is usually pointed towards the ceiling before I'm comfortable with the hand position while playing up above the 16th fret.

No way I'd rate it above wood guitars (even my cheapest Yamaha), but for the size & ability to go anywhere, its one of a kind. I also find that listeners (live ones, not Youtubers) almost always think it sounds really quite good, more so than myself. Probably that's due to the angle that the offset sound hold is at in relation to everything else.

Good luck with whatever you choose. I'm taking mine to the high desert tomorrow morning for the TG weekend to do some playing (and some hiking if we're not rained out).

"Hashi", or Papol as I go by here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiesiamarek View Post
Hi

I have a 000-15s, on which I like to play, simple country blues songs, I like it but I live in Vegas, so I hate daily humidification, adjustments etc.
Therefore I am looking for a graphite guitar.
I have heard a lot about Cargo, but I never saw it with my own two eyes.
I am a little confused, because when I compare McNichol video on Cargo and Hashi videos on YouTube, they seem to be two different guitars, actually Hashi seems to be playing an Xi guitar.
In McNichols video, the cargo is tiny.
How does it compare to the Martin 000 body, is it a full scale guitar, is it good for fingerpicking?
Any thoughts?

Mark
Old 11-25-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Interesting. I've always thought that the position I put the Cargo in is what the "perfect position" really is supposed to be. (Maybe I'm wrong about that?)

I wish all my other guitars could be put so easily into that position.
I'm totally sure it is perfect/best position, but for me, I find that I like my left forearm to sit above my left thigh and I rest my left elbow on my left thigh if I'm not playing up and down the neck (which at this stage in learning to play the guitar, I can only do on one song anyway)... If I move my left arm away from my left leg it feels heavy and my wrist feels like it is taking extra strain...

As I'm self-taught, I'm sure you're postion is the perfect one, but for me it doesn't quite work...

Once I get that cushion on my knee the shorter scale on the Cargo means I can play it in the same position as the full-sized dread...if only the neck was thicker, I'd be even happier...

Rc
Old 11-26-2008, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

The Cargo has definitely become my favorite guitar. I can leave it out on the guitar stand so I can readily grab it anytime and play without fear of cracking wood due to the dry indoor winter air.

As for the sound, it doesn't sound quite like a wood guitar, but it sounds perfectly fine. I don't personally view it as sounding "better" or "worse" than a wood guitar. It has its own sound, which is clear and very even across its range. I like that. You can always hear the individual notes when playing fingerstyle. I don't seem to have trouble with booming bass or anything bass heavy in its sound. to me, it is a well balanced sound. With the short scale and the 1 3/4" nut, it is very easy to play cleanly. I believe that as we get older, shorter scale makes for easier playing. Until the Cargo, I really was not at all interested in those composite guitars. The Cargo changed all that. It is very easy to play and it sounds very, very good. It is very stable, so open tunings are not a problem staying in tune. The tuners on this instrument are very good quality, and handle very well, making tuning a breeze. I like everything about this instrument.

As for how to hold the Cargo, I use a decent guitar strap all the time. Personally, I find this an advantage over trying to balance ANY guitar on my leg. Having to use a cushion, footstool, or whatever has never been something I enjoyed about playing fingerstyle guitar. But this Cargo is small enough and shaped properly, that with a strap it just sits in a really good position for me to play. I remember attending Steven King's Taylor clinic and he talked a lot about using a guitar strap to get the guitar in a good position. He talked very directly about having good hand and body position when playing, so as to free the hands to do their work and not do damage to your body. Chris Proctor, in his seminars, talked about using a footstool, giving again the same types of reasons as Steven King. So it is really up to the individual, but for me the strap with the Cargo works VERY well. I am actually enjoying playing guitar for long periods again.

Since getting the Cargo, I am playing guitar every chance I get now. I have been vacillating between this style and that on the guitar, and between guitar and keyboard for several years now. With the Cargo, I have now gotten back to what drew me to guitar in the first place. It was solo fingerstyle guitar that first stopped me dead in my tracks and made me REALLY want to be able to do that. Over the years, I could never REALLY find THE guitar that both sounded good AND was REALLY comfortable for me to play. The closest is my Collings 0003 in wood guitars. But there is just something about the Cargo that really appeals to me. I don't care if that sounds crazy to anybody, because to me the really important thing is that which draws us in to wanting to make music on a regular basis - no matter what that is. There is a tradition and "coolness" factor to wood guitars, and they are often a work of art and produce breathtaking sound. But there is also something about the Cargo where, for me, it all seems to come together and I just WANT to play all the time. I can't pinpoint exactly what that is or why, but it is there. I will say that I have limited rotation of my right wrist due to a breakage that never really healed right years ago. I am able to position the Cargo so that this does not impact my ability to get around on the guitar, which I have not been able to fully do with any other guitar. The Cargo's shape, size, string spacing, and scale all seem to lend themselves to my unique situation. I am not saying that the Cargo is "better" than my Collings. In fact, what I guess I am saying is that this limited kind of thinking can blind us to finding that which really "does it" for us, especially when going against the generally accepted grain like that. In this case, it is working for me and I am going with it. It really is, in a sense, "heresy" to prefer playing the Cargo to my Collings 0003, but that is just the way it has worked out.

For most people here, based on what I have read in these threads, the Cargo is a really decent guitar for what it is, a small travel guitar that sounds good and plays well. For me, it seems to have solved some problems I had in general playing guitar. I suspect that my situation is unusual. But I do think it brings up a goood point. Regardless of the "status quo" if you find something that works for you, run with it rather than trying to fit the way things are supposed to be. I mean that in a general sense, rather than specifically about the Cargo or anything specifically guitar.

Tony
Old 11-26-2008, 01:05 PM
jackholexxxx

Anyone know of a hard case to fit the Cargo?

Pete
Old 11-26-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackholexxxx View Post
It doubles as its own hard case.

I just use a gig bag. Haven't seen any hard cases that would fit it, but haven't really looked, either.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackholexxxx View Post

Pete
This thread answers your question:

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...ght=cargo+case

Rc
Old 11-26-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcadian View Post
Excellent idea!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber