The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-22-2003, 08:16 PM

Default Alvarez Masterworks travel guitar

Saw a blurb in GP Acoustic on an Alvarez MSD1 "portable guitar". All solid (Spruce/mahog) w/ retail of $429. Anyone played one? Might be a good alternative to a Larry Parlor (less money being the key)

http://www.alvarezgtr.com/heartprodp...spgs/MSD1.html

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 09-22-2003, 09:23 PM

I wonder how small it is in size...it almost looks better than the Baby Taylor.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:31 PM

I actually wondered how long it would be until someone mentioned this little wonder. I had the chance to play one (brand new, freshly strung up with some light elixirs) at my local Chapel Hill music store, the Music Loft. And let me tell you...

It definitely made me sigh and feel guilty for thinking a few regretful thoughts about my trusty Baby M. Outside of the great finishing on it (body and fretwork) and killer cosmetics, it really sounded great for such a small travel box. It definitely looks modeled after the Baby T., even down to the kakhi canvas gig bag with embroidered logo. But man, oh, man did it have a ring to it. I'd have picked it up on the spot, but I can't rationalize having two travel/portable songwriting guitars. If anyone is in the market for a travel guitar, check it out.

Danny

-------------------------------------------------

Baby M
310CE
812C
814C
K22
NS-3(2)
Old 09-23-2003, 03:04 PM

Danny,
Thanks for the response. What was it going for in your local shop? $429 is list. It seems like a nice one, and for the same money as a Baby T, it could be a winner. I really like the Larrivee parlors, but 5 or 6 bills is a little steep for what would be bang around guitar. I have owned 2 Baby M's and ended up selling them both because the intonation was awful. Wanted to love the Baby so much I came back a second time and was again disappointed. So the little Alvarez seems appealing.
P.S. Noticed your Carrabba quote at the end of your post. If you are a Dashboard Confessional fan, the latest GP Acoustic mag has a cover story on him(them). I haven't heard any of their stuff, that I can recall. What's good?

1998 Very Sweet Wife
2000 Cute Daughter (Grand Concert)
2005 Handsome Son (Dreadnought)
2007 Lovely Daughter (Parlor)
2017 Cute Puppy (Duke the Uke)
Old 09-25-2003, 09:18 PM

Matt,

Sorry it took so long to respond, grad school's keeping me busy. I don't remember off hand the exact price of the Alvarez mini, but I'm pretty sure it was around the $300 mark. If you're really interested, I'd be happy to make a note of it for you next time I'm over at the Music Loft. It sounded great, and for something which came in way under the price of a Larrivee Parlor, it made a great little traveller or around-the-house guitar.

As for the Baby M of mine, I've gotten it to the point where it plays in tune (pretty much), but I'm a little uncomfortable with it because I don't have much leeway if it wants to give me trouble again. When I got it the intonation was waaaaay off, and a local luthier managed to get it on, but it took some nut work, and sanding the bridge down on the high E side to the point that it is barely hovering over the wood of the bridge... Which is why I was originally taken by the Alvarez. Again, if you'd like some info, I can get you the contact info for the store.

Danny

--PS-- Dashboard's got some great stuff, but they've (Chris has) gone a little mainstream [read: radio-friendly] for my tastes lately. Check out his first album "Swiss Army Romance." Its all acoustic, with some great songwriting. Good stuff. His second is pretty great too, "Places You Have Come to Fear the Most." Also recommended.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification