The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 05-14-2018, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Default Not a seam separation....what is it ?

I have a wonderful Eastman E20SB.
About 1\2 inch below the bridge it looks like the nitro finish has sunk into the seam. It is about 1 inch long. The rest of the top seam is perfect but this one area looks like it is cracked. If I look at it with the right light reflection and wear my reading glasses I can see that the nitro finish is not broken but it dips into this area. Definitely not a crack nor separation.

Has anyone else had a guitar with this anomaly. Other than this it is overall a really nice Parlour guitar.

daniel
Old 05-14-2018, 06:22 PM

Photo?

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-15-2018, 03:34 AM

I have something very similar on an Eastman OM. Almost negligible, but can be seen under close examination. Definitely not a crack or seam separation as the finish is as you describe. I've also examined the underside of the top and it is structurally sound.

My suspicion is it's just the way the top plates were joined, less than perfect to the eye perhaps, but nothing to worry about. My understanding is that these Eastmans are completely handmade. Sometimes the hand of the maker is shown.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:37 AM
Charter Member

Default Seam

Exactly.
Thanks for chiming in.

I have a $6000 OM with the same thing but not as noticeable.

daniel
Old 05-20-2018, 01:26 PM

An easy way to tell if the wood is separating there is to reach inside with a little pen light and shine it on the area below the 'crack'. If the wood is separating, you'll see more light there in the crack.

If this bugs you, you can do a drop-fill finish repair, scrape it level, and polish it. It will be perfectly smooth when done.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair