The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-17-2018, 04:17 AM

Default Crowdster Plus & RS6 Deuce Question

Question for the owners of either the Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus or Rick Turner Renaissance RS6 Deuce.

Does the acoustic sound out of JUST the piezo, of the double pickup Plus and Deuce, sound the same as the piezos of the single pickup Crowdster and RS6? Or does the mag pickup have some effect even when it's not blended?

Thanks.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarto View Post
Question for the owners of either the Tom Anderson Crowdster Plus or Rick Turner Renaissance RS6 Deuce.

Does the acoustic sound out of JUST the piezo, of the double pickup Plus and Deuce, sound the same as the piezos of the single pickup Crowdster and RS6? Or does the mag pickup have some effect even when it's not blended?

Thanks.
Short answer for the Crowdster: the mags only affect the signal when blended in. Some info from a discussion in another forum;

“There's a recessed button on the top that lets you select between a blended signal and separate 'stereo' outputs with the magnetics on the tip and the piezo on the ring of a TRS cable.

When the recessed button is pressed in, the signals are blended so whatever you have selected comes out on the tip / mono cable. There's a mag/both/piezo switch on the top for selecting the combo, and a separate neck/both/bridge switch for the magnetics.

When the recessed button is in the up position, the signals are split to tip and ring, and the mag/both/piezo switch effectively mutes the unselected pickup(s). That way you can control which pickups are being run from the guitar, while the piezo always goes out one 'channel' (ring), and the magnetics go out the other (tip).

The C+2 is extremely versatile.”

Last edited by Paleolith54; 02-17-2018 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Omission
Old 02-22-2018, 12:08 PM

I had the Deuce for awhile. There were two separate outputs on mine though it can be ordered for a combined output. It was a beautiful guitar that I couldn't get to sound good as an acoustic or electric. Big disappointment. Maybe I had a lemon. I ordered it directly from Turner and waited months.

The Crowdster is a great axe though I've never owned but played a friends a couple of times. They are pricey.

What I use is a Taylor T5 with a secondary Wavelength UST that is wired to a separate output. I run the acoustic outputs to separate rigs.

Take this for what its worth. If your goal is to have a stellar electric and acoustic in one axe it's probably not happening. The Crowdster probably gets the closest in an off the shelf package. You can't get around the fact that you really need heavy acoustic type strings with a wound third to make the acoustic side sound good. In the case of the T5 it ships with electric strings with an unwound G so it is more capable as an electric in stock form. The Crowdster ships with 12-53 acoustic strings so that works better for acoustic but friend that plays his a great deal says those strings do beat up his fingers when trying to play it like an electric. My Deuce had 12's on it and was also a Gibson scale. I couldn't get any decent electric tone as the output seemed quite low and the acoustic tones had a very cigar box like quality.

On my T5 I finally settled on a fairly light 12-50 White Bronze set which works well for both electric and acoustic. Raising the gauge as with any acoustic improves the tone.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarto View Post

Thanks.
I have a Deuce and an RS6. The acoustic side sounds the same out of both. I get great acoustic sounds out of both. I get very good, but maybe not as great as my PRSs, electric sounds out of the Deuce.

A friend has a Crowdster with a magnetic pickup. I'm guessing the piezo sounds the same as it would without the humbucker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars