The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-16-2018, 05:19 AM

Default Need advice

Love my Telecaster and Stratocaster.

Neck on my Stratocaster has a satin neck which I love and my Telecaster has a lacquered neck. (Which I love the look of but noticed that it was a bit sticky the other day with some humidity around I suspect).

Finest of sandpapers or steel wool perhaps without marking the back of the neck.

Suggestions?
Old 02-16-2018, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

...the finest grit sandpaper will be too fine to get you the satin finish you desire...i wouldn't go over 1000-1500 grit....0000 steel wool is what i would personally use...

Last edited by J Patrick; 02-16-2018 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

...the finest grit sandpaper will be too fine to get you the satin finish you desire...i wouldn't go over 1000 grit....0000 steel wool is what i would personally use...Stew Mac sells micro mesh products that i've heard work well but i have not used them personally...
Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel and wood View Post
Love my Telecaster and Stratocaster.

Neck on my Stratocaster has a satin neck which I love and my Telecaster has a lacquered neck. (Which I love the look of but noticed that it was a bit sticky the other day with some humidity around I suspect).

Finest of sandpapers or steel wool perhaps without marking the back of the neck.

Suggestions?
I’ve used the 0000 steel wool before, worked great. Many observers warn you not to do it this way because of the possibility of stray strands getting in the pickups, but I just wrapped the body in a towel and went to work. No problems.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:00 AM

baby powder on my hands works for me. much easier than any sanding.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-16-2018, 07:45 PM

Thanks all!

Baby powder sounds like a no fuss option which I might try.
Old 02-16-2018, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Patrick View Post
Stew Mac sells micro mesh products that i've heard work well but i have not used them personally.

I used the Stew Mac micro mesh on a gloss Les Paul Reissue neck that was just way too sticky. If properly used (I found directions somewhere on the web, but not a video) they are low impact but were very effective in reducing the stickiness of the neck. Continued playing necessitated repeats of the treatment (maybe 2-3 times a year, your mileage may vary based on your chemistry and play time) but it was worth it to play a very sweet-sounding guitar.

I now play a PRS McCarty 594 which also has a gloss neck but without a hint of stickiness.

I own a guitar.
Old 02-17-2018, 06:52 AM

My solving this seems to be a function of cleanliness and polish.

I recall seeing some used guitars where the steps people made were somewhere between a turn off and hideous.

First is I always try to have clean hands even if it's hot sticky summer time. Some guitars have required or benefitted by super fine polishing compound that will also remove some micro scratches. Some Planet Waves stuff I have seems just like what polishes our 1930 automobile's finish. Very light and not very frequent use of Virtuoso brand polish seems good.

Wiping the neck with a micro fiber cloth helps and I always do that when done playing.

I'm not saying this is perfection for everyone but my Telecaster and Collings have shiny necks and they play fine.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

I would try four 0 --- 0000 steel wool

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 02-17-2018, 08:08 AM

I've used the green 3M scour pads and worked great.
Old 02-17-2018, 08:52 PM

Home Depot sells 0000 “steel wool” sanding pads. Easy to use and no worries about steel wool debris.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 02-18-2018, 08:22 PM

I have gloss, oiled/roasted maple, and bare maple necks, and they all work fine. New, overly shiny finishes can be cling-y, but anything that's really set and hard, and worn enough to lose brand-newness should play fine. Mine do -- and I sweat a lot. I generally find that knocking off the insane factory glint by using sandpaper or, better, sanding pads at about 1000 grit, then higher, yields a luster without removing finish. Works for me, anyway. I do not find satin finish to be any faster; depending on how the pores were handled when finishing, it can even be slower.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMcKee View Post
I've used the green 3M scour pads and worked great.

I'd go that route. If you don't like it you can always buff it back to gloss...

...speaking of buffing the neck back to gloss... As a rule I don't have an issue with *most* gloss necks. But depending on the poly finish, some have more "stiction" than others. I have an Epiphone Dot with a gloss neck that had a ton of stiction. So I used the Scotchbrite pad to satinize it as MikeMcKee is suggesting. But while it eliminated the stiction, I didn't like the feel. So I used my orbital buffer to buff it back to gloss, and lo and behold, the gloss came back but not the stiction. JME
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars