The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 11-17-2017, 12:16 AM

Location: Nowhere man please listen you don't know what you're missing
Default The guitarist on track 8

You could say by nature I'm a contrarian. I DON'T do promos. But I have to acknowledge real talent when I hear it. I feel it's my duty as a musician when I find others whose work is "musical."

So with that disclaimer in mind, let me tell you a story:

About 16-17 years ago I bought one of those "fingerstyle" Mel Bay books of guitar solos with standard notation and tab. The book also came with a CD of the solos. Well, I put the CD in my car to listen to it and promptly misplaced the book. The problem with that was that the CD did not have the listing of the performances written on it. So I was listening to this CD without knowing who was playing.

After a while of listening, favorites popped out and I remember I liked the writing and playing of track 8. But I listen to a lot of stuff in my car and soon I was off on other music. Every now and then I'd play the CD but I had pretty much forgot about it until, while cleaning up the attic a couple of weeks ago, I found the long lost Mel Bay book. Track 8??????? Karla's Song by Larry Pattis. A quick YouTube search found more music. (My fav right now is Hands of Time.)

So look folks, this is not a promo, just my honest opinion. I don't know Larry. I only know of him through his posts on this forum. But I've been a fan of his for 16-17 years - and I didn't even know it!
Old 11-17-2017, 07:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
My fav right now is Hands of Time
I have that CD of Larry's. It's terrific, with his creativity and playing chops on full display.
I was trying to recall when I first became acquainted with Larry's music, and I'm pretty sure it was back on the old 13th Fret forum.
The good ole days when the www was still just a baby....
The fact that a player like Larry hangs out here and shares is a big plus for everyone!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic