The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Default Gibson es-335 studio

A small mom and pop guitar store just took one of these in trade. I'm interested in it but would like to know if the studio is significantly different from a standard 335. Anybody have any experience with this guitar model? Thanks in advance for your consideration.

BahPa

2015 Taylor GS-Mini Hog
2002 Martin 000-18 Sunburst
2005 Martin 000-28
2011 Martin 0-12VS
1972 Ovation 12 string
2015 Fender P-Bass Sunburst
2008 Fender Tele Thinline
2011 Fender Tele Sunburst
1998 Washburn BT-9
Old 08-17-2017, 12:46 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If it is the newer version with four knobs (a volume and tone for each pickup) it is a pretty cool guitar and very much like the regular ES-335, right down to the same pickups, electronics, and hardware. I think the only differences would be the lack of binding, screen-printed headstock logo rather than inlay, lack of pickguard, and torrified maple fingerboard rather than rosewood.

I have a Memphis ES-335 DOT Reissue that I LOVE and would definitely consider one of the studios for a road or gigging backup.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 PM

The 4 knob Studio models are pretty nice. They don't have the niceties of a Standard as noted by Bob above, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if the price was reasonable.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 08-18-2017, 06:30 PM

If you're more of a guitar-cable-amp, "touch" player - relying solely on technical finesse to achieve your tone - the older two-knob versions can be a real bargain. I own a similarly-wired (except for the P-90's) Godin CW II, used to own a late-CBS '52 Tele RI, and never found anything lacking in terms of control of my instrument; just be patient and take some time to dial in your combination - IME pickup height, balance, string type/gauge, and choice of pick are all critical (and not necessarily what you're used to, or would like them to be) - and you may just find out that less really is more...
Old 08-18-2017, 06:58 PM
Guitar Gourmet

The reason I mentioned the four-knob configuration is that there's a tendency for the bridge pickup to be quite a bit brighter than the neck pickup when they are physically setup for balanced volume in Gibsons. I tend to run with the tone control on the bridge pickup wound back most of the time. I do it on the ES-335, Les Pauls, and SGs.

Bob

Old 08-18-2017, 10:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
If it is the newer version with four knobs (a volume and tone for each pickup) it is a pretty cool guitar and very much like the regular ES-335, right down to the same pickups, electronics, and hardware. I think the only differences would be the lack of binding, screen-printed headstock logo rather than inlay, lack of pickguard, and torrified maple fingerboard rather than rosewood.

I have a Memphis ES-335 DOT Reissue that I LOVE and would definitely consider one of the studios for a road or gigging backup.

Bob
Bob's right on as usual. The original idea of "studio" Gibsons was the exact sound of the flashier bound and inlaid models was that they could sound the same in the studio and not be as flashy as you might want for a stage guitar at a lower cost.

Some people even prefer the lack of binding, etc.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:55 PM

I have a 2016 Gibson ES-339 Studio (somewhat smaller body than the 335) that has turned out to be awesome. The electronics, tone, and design/build is essentially the same as the Standard 339, but without bling. They are much more affordably priced than the Standard version and serve the need identically.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a 335 Studio, if that size body is what you want and you like the particular sample itself.

ES-339 Studio shown here with my Gibson Les Paul Jr. Special P90
Old 08-23-2017, 03:15 PM

Default Gibson es-335 studio

Thanks for all of the input, a lot of good info to ponder. I'm going to let this percolate for a while.

BahPa

2015 Taylor GS-Mini Hog
2002 Martin 000-18 Sunburst
2005 Martin 000-28
2011 Martin 0-12VS
1972 Ovation 12 string
2015 Fender P-Bass Sunburst
2008 Fender Tele Thinline
2011 Fender Tele Sunburst
1998 Washburn BT-9
Old 08-23-2017, 04:25 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
The fellow in the pic looks a lot like my yellow lab (whose name is "Boo!") who is lying behind me being my "computer kitty" right now.

Bob

Old 08-23-2017, 05:10 PM

Only thing I'd add is to spend some time with one and see if the size is comfortable for you. Sitting down, I play with the instrument on the "wrong" leg and 335's are just too darn big. The 339 is just right, though.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Only thing I'd add is to spend some time with one and see if the size is comfortable for you. Sitting down, I play with the instrument on the "wrong" leg and 335's are just too darn big. The 339 is just right, though.
I went with two ES-339s (one an Epiphone Pro P90 and the other a Gibson with humbuckers) because I found the ES-335 body not so comfortably large, and the ES-339 body so very comfortable.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:31 PM

Quote:
The fellow in the pic looks a lot like my yellow lab (whose name is "Boo!") who is lying behind me being my "computer kitty" right now.

Bob
Bob... that was our Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab cross, Harley. We had to let him go last year, at the age of 12. What an incredible dog. Aren't they awesome. I miss him a lot.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:55 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
Bob... that was our Golden Retriever/Yellow Lab cross, Harley. We had to let him go last year, at the age of 12. What an incredible dog. Aren't they awesome. I miss him a lot.
Yes, they are. We got Boo! and his sister Zoe' after our golden/lab mix died nine years ago. I found her to be the greatest mix I'd ever encountered - protective and incredibly loyal. My wife lasted all of six days before she had to have another dog. The pure labs are a different animal entirely - we found out after we got them that labs are the most destructive breed out there, like a silly K12 saw. Still and all, they are great, loyal dogs and Boo! is a love. That's him on the left below:

Bob

Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are. We got Boo! and his sister Zoe' after our golden/lab mix died nine years ago. I found her to be the greatest mix I'd ever encountered - protective and incredibly loyal. My wife lasted all of six days before she had to have another dog. The pure labs are a different animal entirely - we found out after we got them that labs are the most destructive breed out there, like a silly K12 saw. Still and all, they are great, loyal dogs and Boo! is a love. That's him on the left below:

Bob
Bob... Boo! and Zoey look awesome!

I think the Golden Retriever part of the Golden/Lab mix makes the cross a most exceptional dog. Harley was not destructive in the least. I don't think dogs get any better than that mix.

When we knew that Harley's time with us would be drawing to an end, we decided to add a puppy so Harley could show her "the ropes" - here he is with his little sister "Kimber"

And after Harley died, Kimber got a little brother from the same parents, but a different litter, here she meets her new little brother, "Colt"

Together, they have eased the pain of losing Harley, and we love them without end.

Sorry folks, for the diversion.
Old 08-24-2017, 04:55 AM
Guitar Gourmet

They look like a fun pair!

Bob

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars