The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-08-2017, 04:01 PM

Default Went through lacquer on edge while wet sanding.

I was wet sanding my guitar body with 600 grit and noticed I went through the lacquer on the edge in a couple of places. Of course I stopped sanding and wiped away any water. Should I scuff the whole body with 400 and put on more coats of lacquer? How many coats? I'm really disappointed. It was starting to look really nice and now I will need to wait another 2 weeks before I can start the process over again. Oh well, I want to do it right and this is a minor setback.http://s347.photobucket.com/user/ald...tml?sort=3&o=0 I can't seem to get pictures to show. Can somebody tell me what I doing wrong? Is there a way to upload directly them without going through photo bucket?

Last edited by Albert D; 06-08-2017 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 PM

What type of paint are you using.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-08-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
What type of paint are you using.

Steve
Nitro lacquer.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:29 PM

Default waiting time opinions

Experts with nitrocellulose lacquer will help here, I think, but speaking for myself, and taking OP's comments at face value, I don't know why OP can't build up his lacquer again without waiting two weeks. He wasn't waiting two weeks between applications, I suspect. And yes, I think more lacquer needs to be applied. Can't see anything that would obviate that. Any chance the sanding went through the seal coat down to bare wood? If so, then an expert really needs to speak up to offer suggestions as to how to avoid seeing the sanding-through spots in the final finish.

If OP got down through the lacquer trying to sand away shiny spots, then it seems to me as if he's just levelling his finish, and he needs to carry on building up enough finish to allow sanding level. Wasn't ready yet. Final sanding just started prematurely.

But these are only my opinions, certainly not finishing gospel.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:32 PM

Nitro you do not need to sand the rest of the surface

The new layers will eat into the older layers.

Recommend more coats of clear this time around.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-08-2017, 08:38 PM

It just barley got through the lacquer. I don't think I will have any problems with my sealer. I'll go ahead and start spraying again tomorrow. I had a feeling it was a little thin and being my first time I should have gone with a few more coats. It was sure looking nice even just at 600 grit though.

Thank you for the help. I have been asking a lot of questions but I really appreciate the willingness to help.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:43 PM

One must always be more careful in sanding/levelling at or near edges: that is always the place that sands through first.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:50 PM

Did you let it sit for at least 4 weeks before sanding?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Did you let it sit for at least 4 weeks before sanding?
No, I let it sit for 2 weeks. Should I go 4? As difficult as that may be I will go 4 weeks if it's better for the final outcome.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 PM

Should I scuff the area that I went to 600 grit on? Do I need to worry about the new lacquer sliding off before it sticks to the previous layers?
Old 06-08-2017, 09:50 PM

No you do not need to scuff, so long as its clean it will adhere.

I do my nitro spraying differently to others, I spray today for example 6 coats clear, then tomorrow with wet sandpaper and detergent, I will wet sand the guitar with 600 or 800 to see if I can make it all flat, once its flat and no rub through, I let it sit a week and then sand through my grits, let it sit a day or so and then buff.

If I get rub through, I clean with fresh water and lay down 3 super thinned out coats for high gloss of the gun.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-09-2017, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert D View Post
No, I let it sit for 2 weeks. Should I go 4? As difficult as that may be I will go 4 weeks if it's better for the final outcome.
You might want to even give it 6 weeks. I love lacquer but the downside is the wait time. 2 weeks is way to short and very well could be the reason why you went through. It really toughens up in time, at least that's been my experience when I used to use lacquer.
Old 06-10-2017, 09:50 PM

This lacquer is sure giving me fits. I got it all nice and ready to spray again and it was going really well when I started to get splatters. No big deal and easy to fix but it's just frustrating. I'm using rattle cans of nitro lacquer from StewMac.

My first coats were sprayed on with a Prevail sprayer and that seemed to go better. I was able to thin the lacquer and have more control. I still have half a quart of lacquer but decided not to use it because it's like 8 years old from when I started the build. I may try some on some scrap and see if it's still good.
Old 06-11-2017, 12:21 AM

If it's splattering then it's possibly too cold.

Common issue with spray cans, warm a sink of water up so it's warm to the touch, sit the spray can in the water and allow the contents to warm for about 10 minutes, you should then get a nice smooth spray.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 06-11-2017, 05:33 AM

I heat the water up till it's HOT to the touch

It will make a huge difference if you warm it, also make sure the tip is clean. You can get a very good finish with those Stew Mac can's it just takes a bit longer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair