The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 03-02-2019, 02:25 AM

Super cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeksmiller View Post
I play at Ren Faires and pubs and such so having the Carbon Fiber is amazing since most of our gigs are outside in all kinds of weather.

it holds tune on days like this

And loud enough to carry to the crowd without amplification when its like this

Old 03-02-2019, 02:29 AM

I want one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
CA makes them like that...they did a snake skin as well

Old 03-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Guest 928

That might be difficult to find. I doubt if too many were made and whether Peavey still makes that finish. Kramster probably has one.
Old 03-02-2019, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
That might be difficult to find. I doubt if too many were made and whether Peavey still makes that finish. Kramster probably has one.
Not me...I am not even allowed to use anything tortoise shell
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 03-04-2019, 06:04 PM

Haha man when you play Ren Faires you play in every kind of weather. Sun, heat, rain, cold, snow!, all of it. Very rarely do the faires close and so you figure out ways to make it work. I have another set of gloves I put on over those between shows. Since I just cant play with gloves on And if the tuner was coal fired it would be warmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Hey, Cheeksmiller - you are tough, playing when it is cold enough to need gloves (even the fingerless kind). I am older and softer than you. Is that a coal fired tuner?
Old 04-04-2019, 07:59 PM

I have a couple of Composite Acoustics, a Cargo and a GXI. Just about to pull the trigger for an X10 with L3 electronics. Trying to decide whether I stay utilitarian, or add a nice cochobolo top with and open headstock. It is after all a work guitar tho I was saying to my wife moments ago, “I’m 60, I’d like to think it will be the last guitar I buy if I do it right.” So I’m back and forth at the moment pouring over the Emerald website trying to justify my decision either way.

I play 125+ gigs per year so I pretty much play every day. We live 6 months in Canada on Vancouver Island where we live on a boat where it’s a cool,moist environment. In late October, head down to Mexico where we live in a Tiny Home on the beach till late April. I do about 2 gigs a week in Canada and 5 gigs a week in Mexico and as such, it’s in Mexico where the abuse really kicks in. The sand, salt and heat are guitar killers in Mexico as many of my gigs are at beachside venues. 2 seasons is all you get out of a mic stand before they rust. I also usually leave my gear in the car as it is never far from me, is alarmed and it seems I’m always on my way to a gig. The car sits in the sun for many hours a day so the interior reaches extreme temperatures. Needless to say, the CF guitar is the ONLY way to go down here. I used to bring my Taylor’s years ago but they always came back looking weary.

The CA’s have both performed admirably the past 5 or so years though both have required pickup replacements and replacement screws for the tuners buttons. As I said, salt is everywhere here, it gets in your hands and is pervasive everywhere. I wipe down my strings every night but still break 1 and sometimes 2 per night. I even order the 10-47 Elixers individually and bring down with me about 20 each of the E, B and G and 5 of the D, A and E strings. It’s that harsh down here. In Canada, I’ll break 1 string every few weeks if that so definitely the sand.

I still have some sweet acoustics in the closet but I started to get shoulder pain when I played a lot. The Composite Acoustics are so comfy with very thin body. Mid bowl, the GXi is about 2 3/4” deep, then flares out to 4 1/4” at the heel. I’m praying that the X10 has the same feel. They have assured me that it plays like a much smaller guitar so hoping they’re right.

In the end, the pretty wood guitars are inspiring, earthy and unique but for me, my carbon fibre guitars are work tool that I adore.

Salud

Composite Acoustics GXi
Composite Acoustics Cargo
1991 Taylor 614ce
2003 Taylor 814ce
1988 Larrivee C10e
1971 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2015 Prestige Heritage
2020 Prestige Ace Coupe
2019 Emerald X10
2021 Emerald Virtuo
Old 04-04-2019, 08:01 PM

Default Cf Abuse

I have a couple of Composite Acoustics, a Cargo and a GXI. Just about to pull the trigger for an X10 with L3 electronics. Trying to decide whether I stay utilitarian, or add a nice cochobolo top with and open headstock. It is after all a work guitar tho I was saying to my wife moments ago, “I’m 60, I’d like to think it will be the last guitar I buy if I do it right.” So I’m back and forth at the moment pouring over the Emerald website trying to justify my decision either way.

I play 125+ gigs per year so I pretty much play every day. We live 6 months in Canada on Vancouver Island where we live on a boat where it’s a cool,moist environment. In late October, head down to Mexico where we live in a Tiny Home on the beach till late April. I do about 2 gigs a week in Canada and 5 gigs a week in Mexico and as such, it’s in Mexico where the abuse really kicks in. The sand, salt and heat are guitar killers in Mexico as many of my gigs are at beachside venues. 2 seasons is all you get out of a mic stand before they rust. I also usually leave my gear in the car as it is never far from me, is alarmed and it seems I’m always on my way to a gig. The car sits in the sun for many hours a day so the interior reaches extreme temperatures. Needless to say, the CF guitar is the ONLY way to go down here. I used to bring my Taylor’s years ago but they always came back looking weary.

The CA’s have both performed admirably the past 5 or so years though both have required pickup replacements and replacement screws for the tuners buttons. As I said, salt is everywhere here, it gets in your hands and is pervasive everywhere. I wipe down my strings every night but still break 1 and sometimes 2 per night. I even order the 10-47 Elixers individually and bring down with me about 20 each of the E, B and G and 5 of the D, A and E strings. It’s that harsh down here. In Canada, I’ll break 1 string every few weeks if that so definitely the sand.

I still have some sweet acoustics in the closet but I started to get shoulder pain when I played a lot. The Composite Acoustics are so comfy with very thin body. Mid bowl, the GXi is about 2 3/4” deep, then flares out to 4 1/4” at the heel. I’m praying that the X10 has the same feel. They have assured me that it plays like a much smaller guitar so hoping they’re right.

In the end, the pretty wood guitars are inspiring, earthy and unique but for me, my carbon fibre guitars are work tool that I adore.

Salud

Composite Acoustics GXi
Composite Acoustics Cargo
1991 Taylor 614ce
2003 Taylor 814ce
1988 Larrivee C10e
1971 Gibson Les Paul Custom
2015 Prestige Heritage
2020 Prestige Ace Coupe
2019 Emerald X10
2021 Emerald Virtuo
Old 04-04-2019, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

That's a great story. You live the life some of us dream of. As far as guitars, it sure sounds like the perfect scenario for CF guitars. Good luck with the Emerald shopping, they are wonderful guitars and sound like the perfect addition to what you have..
Old 04-05-2019, 06:19 AM
Charter Member

Hi David - the X10 is a very comfortable guitar. Stock neck is 1 11/16" nut width. I got mine with level 2 pickups, not anticipating any midi use. I've had this one since October, and it has gone from the humid Gulf Coast to the dry southwest desert. I don't leave it in the car, though - it travels with us in our motorhome. I have two other Emeralds that have done more traveling (hot, cold, dry, humid, coast-to-coast), with no issues.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber