The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 03-21-2016, 01:21 PM

Default Advice in DAW that handles video

I am looking into DAW software the moment. I have a mac and garageband but can't say I am that keen. I also have a copy of Presonus Studio Artist 3 and I really like it but this Studio Artist version does not handle video. I'm keen to use a DAW that can handle video as well as the audio particularly for recording you tube videos and from a workflow point of view.

I suppose Apple Logic is the cheaper option but has anyone used it for the video aspect it offers and in reality is it like Garageband in regards to how the DAW feels to operate.

Thanks
Old 03-21-2016, 01:27 PM

I use Digital Performer for all my audio for video work. Been using it since version 3. Very nice DAW.

Not as cheap as Logic, but a great piece of software from a company that doesn't have a habit of abandoning software & technologies on a whim <wink wink>.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-21-2016, 01:31 PM

Thanks for this - never heard of it so will take a look. A bit pricey though!

I would like to add though that what I am looking to do is this:

Record myself playing guitar with good microphones attached to my camera (that bit is sorted) and then import that video along with the audio into a DAW and then perhaps add some EQ and reverb etc to the sound. And then I would like to export the video to a format I can place on youtube etc.

As it stands I think Logic seems to be the best choice but I am looking to here from others who might be working in a similar way.

Last edited by dominant7th; 03-21-2016 at 01:51 PM.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:43 PM

give reaper a try. they have a mac version.
Old 03-21-2016, 02:58 PM

Okay thank you I will look into reaper.
Old 03-21-2016, 04:17 PM

i use imovie and import it into logic. since you have imovie and garageband, you SHOULD be able to do the same.

here is a google search of importing into garageband. hope this helps.

https://www.google.com/search?q=impo...utf-8&oe=utf-8

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-21-2016, 05:04 PM

I'm using Cubase LE Elements which came free with a Scarlett mic/instrument interface device. I've since upgraded to the non-free version which was about $99. Cubase supports video editing. I've used the video editing a couple times just for grins and was able to synchronize audio & video w/o too much hassle. I'm not too concerned about the video ability of that program. From an audio perspective, it's very high-end and can do way more than I'll need in the foreseeable future.

Ray
Old 03-21-2016, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominant7th View Post
Thanks for this - never heard of it so will take a look. A bit pricey though!

I would like to add though that what I am looking to do is this:

Record myself playing guitar with good microphones attached to my camera (that bit is sorted) and then import that video along with the audio into a DAW and then perhaps add some EQ and reverb etc to the sound. And then I would like to export the video to a format I can place on youtube etc.

As it stands I think Logic seems to be the best choice but I am looking to here from others who might be working in a similar way.
You should be able to do this with iMovie & GarageBand. I've done it with those. Just be sure to "clap" at the start to have a good transient to line up the audio with.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 03-21-2016, 09:10 PM
Charter Member

It depends on how far you want to go with it. For basics of syncing video and audio, adding a little reverb, almost any movie editor should work. I use Final Cut Pro X, and it makes this all very easy. iMovie should be fine as well. In Final Cut, you can import as many camera shots as you want and an audio track (I record with multiple cameras and a Zoom audio recorder). it will sync them for you automatically, and then you can switch between camera angles (if any) where-ever you like, do color correction, etc, and select the audio source to be the audio in the final movie. There's some basic audio processing, and you can use plugins, so EQ and reverb can be done right there.

But for real "DAW" type functionality, all the video editors I know of are pretty weak on audio. And all the good audio editors are pretty weak on video. But you can use them together. What I do is use Final Cut to assemble the movie, selecting shots, adding titles, and so on, and make sure the audio track comes from the audio recorder. Then I export the movie in highest quality. I can then open the movie in Logic. You can't really manipulate the video in Logic, but it's there and you can see it play while you work on the audio. Logic has a much better UI and tools for dealing with audio, so I do whatever I need to do audio-wise there. From there, you can save the movie with the newly processed audio, and you're done.

There may be some better movie+audio editing software that's great for both, but I haven't come across anything that can do both as well as the various options for handling each individually.
Old 03-22-2016, 04:26 AM

Thanks for this detailed reply - much appreciated.

I think this is the way forward although I will most likely use iMovie and invest in Logic. I am not familiar with logic but pretty sure I will soon grasp how to use it.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:48 AM

I do the audio editing in Reaper, render to stereo WAV, then import that into the video editor sound track, muting the audio from the camera file. Most times I'm using Roxio, as its quick to use, and has rudimentary fx. I'm only using one camera, so no multi-camera cuts are needed, but when I do that from multiple takes Roxio is not so friendly.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 03-22-2016, 01:55 PM

Again - thank you.

At the moment I am looking into Reaper because it seems to offer an awful lot for the money. I have sadly had to dismiss Presonus because for what I need the full version is very expensive.

So it's a toss up between Logic and Reaper.
Old 03-22-2016, 02:34 PM

Logic Pro X will play video and you can edit synced multi-track audio, then export to Final Cut Pro X for the video editing with synced audio. Pro workflow, and it costs it, but you get pro results (once you learn the tools).

I've got numerous friends who are pro audio for video guys, and they all edit in an audio specific program, then send it to the video/film editor. More work, but better results.

Find a local community college that does some film production classes to get an understanding of tools and workflow.

W. H. Auden
Old 03-22-2016, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the advice.

Yes I agree that it might be better looking at the workflow you suggest and this is why I am going to take a bit of time to decide.

Not sure there are any classes nearby. I am a pro user of the major graphics packages in regards to graphic design, but I have always stayed away from audio and video simply because of the learning curve.

Maybe I just have to go through it - again.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominant7th View Post
Again - thank you.

At the moment I am looking into Reaper because it seems to offer an awful lot for the money. I have sadly had to dismiss Presonus because for what I need the full version is very expensive.

So it's a toss up between Logic and Reaper.
amen. for 60 bucks, it's practically a steal. it has some proprietary editing features that may seem odd at first, but once you're used to them, it's quite intuitive. plus, the routing options are incredible. and nobody keeps adding features like reaper does.

it has a lengthy free trial, too; so you can try it out for a good long while, first.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD