The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 09-15-2015, 07:26 PM

Default Gilchrist 16" archtop

How the years have flown! Well over a decade ago, I got on the build-list of mandolin-maker extraordinaire Steve Gilchrist for a 16” acoustic archtop guitar, an instrument he was scarcely making at the time. Wait-time back then was more than 7 years. For those who may be unfamiliar with the name, Steve Gilchrist is an Australian luthier who came to the US in the early ‘80s, worked for a year in Nashville at Gruhn’s, with whom he had a long association, then returned to his native Australia to build mandolins full-time. His instruments are widely regarded as among the finest ever made, and his approach has been to come as close as tonally possible to the great Loars of the early 1920s. His purely acoustic archtop guitars were rumored to be every bit as good his mandolins, if not better, but were scarce as hen’s teeth—for years it was virtually impossible even to locate a picture on the internet, let alone hear one or find one for sale. (Even today, the last time I checked, YouTube gives you nothing if you look for a Gilchrist archtop.) Yet he is listed as an influence by no less than Kim Walker, and folks I talked to over the years who'd owned or played his guitars just raved about them. In recent years, Steve began making archtops with somewhat greater regularity, seeming to include a few in every “batch” of instruments he turns out. Rather than proceeding start-to-finish one instrument at a time, he works by building up to 18 instruments in parallel, an approach that allows comparing a group of instruments in mid-build and tweaking them individually so that they begin to converge on the most responsive in the bunch. He is said to be extraordinarily efficient in roughing out instruments and superb at varnish and French polishing. In contrast to much of the “modern” luthery world, especially where archtops are concerned, Gilchrist’s instruments are visually conservative—they look like very much like the mandolins and guitars of nearly a century ago, minus the dust (most of them are finished in classic sunburst), he tends not to build in exotic woods (preferring Eastern hard maple and often Adirondack spruce for more uniform or predictable results), and without the kinds of dramatic visual design departures some of the contemporary guitar market favors. Everything in his approach is aimed at achieving the optimal tone, and while fit, finish, and playability are also said to be unparalleled, his is a highly focused approach.

After getting on his waitlist, I forwarded my new e-mail address to him after I changed jobs, and just generally put it out of my mind and got on with life. About 7 and a half years later, I got an e-mail from Christie Carter of Carter Vintage Guitars, who now represents Steve in the US. She said my build slot was soon going to come up, and that Steve could put a 16" archtop in his upcoming 2011 Fall batch. For various reasons, including the fact that I had long since purchased a lovely acoustic archtop by CB Hill, I ended up deferring until Spring of 2014, when I finally felt “Now or never”, that Steve’s build list was not going to be open forever, and that if I had a chance to commission an archtop from one of the true luminaries of carved instruments, I ought to do it. (I often think of folks who knew D’Aquisto and did not get around to having him build them a guitar …) So in May 2014 I sent in my order to Christie Carter, essentially for his standard 16” acoustic archtop but with a special amber finish he had used on his “classical” F5C mandolins. Steve currently builds two basic archtop models, both 16”—the no frills “Junior” which is an antique-tinted spruce top and walnut-stained maple back-and-sides, very reminiscent of the Junior model mandolin produced by the Gibson team working under Lloyd Loar in the early 1920s, and an upper level model in sunburst, with an inlaid pearl logo and a fancier headstock. In keeping with the early ‘20s Loar vibe, I asked for a non-cutaway instrument. Besides the amber finish, the only real specs added to my build were that I requested parallel bracing, rather than X-bracing, with a view to perhaps giving up a little bit of early smoothness or finesse in the sound in exchange for more energetic “push” with maybe a somewhat longer break-in time. Other departures were that Steve kindly used a piece of Italian cello spruce from the Val di Fiemme that had been up in my attic for years and which I’d sent him for possible use on a mandocello, plus I provided a set of blackened brass Rodgers tuners, reminiscent of the black tuners Steve had used on his classical mandolins. So that’s the 11+ year history, and this was written with guitar still in the varnishing stages. Steve has been great to work with and very responsive on e-mail. In return, I’ve tried largely to stay out of the way and respect his approach to building. It has been a terrific experience thus far and delivery should be middle to late September. Pics hopefully to follow.

Last edited by Richard Mott; 09-15-2015 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:04 PM

Middle to late September? That's now! Pics, please!

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 09-16-2015, 06:49 AM

Sound`s like you will have one hell of an archtop!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:52 AM

The Gilchrist mandos are absolutely amazing. Looking forward to seeing and hearing this guitar!
Old 09-18-2015, 02:03 PM

Italian spruce on table dreaming of becoming a guitar:

"In the white"--beautiful classical proportions:

Back of guitar in the line-up:

Last edited by Richard Mott; 09-18-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:12 PM

Last edited by Richard Mott; 09-18-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:00 PM

WOW a dream for sure
Old 09-26-2015, 07:56 AM

I always liked the idea of dark binding on a blonde archtop - saw a few old Gretsch and Epiphone jazzboxes like that in the Lower Manhattan pawnshops when I was a kid; should be a real beauty when it's done...
Old 11-28-2015, 01:47 PM

I had the chance to visit my friend, Rich , in DC recently and we spent a few days running the Gilchrist thru it's paces. The guitar is only 6 weeks old. It's like no archtop I've ver played. First of all I don't play archtops almost ever, unless I am visiting Rich. I've spent a fair amount of time on his lovely C B Hill archtop, played a couple at Rudy's. I am a fingerstyle player coming from a classical background. I don't often play with a pick, but I can when necessary play thru a couple of chord melody ideas and use some alternative fingerpicking with a pick.

The first amazing quality of this guitar is its even clarity across the fingerboard. This is an acoustic archtop and it has a remarkable responsiveness without anything like the overtone spectrum of the iconic fingerstyle guitars. But there is nothing missing an the guitar is alive like no archtop I've ever played. It's warm without any boominess. I can play it with fingernails alone and get a good and ample tone. This is not the stiff archtop I am used to playing. The fretboard is easy and the neck is perfect. I can't wait to play this guitar in 6 months and 2 years and 6 years. Gilchrist makes almost exclusively mandos but this archtop is a perfect guitar.

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)

Last edited by handers; 11-28-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 11-28-2015, 03:53 PM

If you want to hear Rich playing this instrument, unamplified as it is meant to be played, I have uploaded a kitchen demo to youtube. Never meant to be posted but I just happened to whip out the iPhone. It's worth proper listen devices to hear this guitar's voice. I like Rich's swing!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRlxeSmTW-Q

Hans
2000 Froggy Bottom H12c (adir/ind RW)
2016 Froggy Bottom K mod (adir/madrose; my son's)
2010 Voyage-Air VAOM-2C

http://www.soundclick.com/hanstunes (recorded on Froggy H12c)
Old 12-26-2015, 08:59 AM

Good for you! Thank you for posting this wonderful story about your long 11 year wait to have this Gilchrist archtop brought to life. You made a good decision and will enjoy many years of playing this extraordinary instrument. Nice recording too. It allows us a glimpse into the sonic universe of Gilchrist's gift and your chops. Play on and happy holidays.
Doerr Legacy Select
Froggy Bottom P12
Gallagher G-70 (1972)
Goodall Parlor
Gwaltney 000-13
Holloway Harp Guitar
Ibanez GB-10
Larrivee OM-10 (Jester)
Lowden S25J
McPherson 4.0
Stehr Auditorium
Stehr SJ
Taylor NS34
Vines Bella Grande
Yamamoto Baritone
Old 12-26-2015, 08:51 PM

Thanks, Stringspan. It was a great decision and is really an unbelievable instrument. Steve Gilchrist has recently put up a new website, very minimalist, but with a slide show that is a wonderful meditation on nature, materials, art and design.
Here: www.gilchristmandolins.com
Old 12-27-2015, 08:49 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

Gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:29 PM

Sure enjoyed the link to the Gilchrist site. Simple and conveys his message without any hype. Thanks for the nudge to check it out.
Doerr Legacy Select
Froggy Bottom P12
Gallagher G-70 (1972)
Goodall Parlor
Gwaltney 000-13
Holloway Harp Guitar
Ibanez GB-10
Larrivee OM-10 (Jester)
Lowden S25J
McPherson 4.0
Stehr Auditorium
Stehr SJ
Taylor NS34
Vines Bella Grande
Yamamoto Baritone

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops