The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 04-10-2015, 05:57 PM

Default Looking for a decent custom body maker with my blank

I have a thread I started in the electric section, but I'll repost it here. I have an idea for a Stratocaster body in a color laminate wood. I want something with a lot of color and I've decided on a couple different ones.

Finally found a source for a color laminate body blank large enough to make a Stratocaster style body out of. Now all I need is the person who is willing to try and route the body shape. From what I've been led to believe from the supplier, these laminate blanks (Spectraply) turn just like regular wood, usually used for gunstocks or custom ink pens (although he does recommend a dust recovery system).

Not sure where to start. Already emailed Warmoth but haven't heard back.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:42 PM

I've used spectraply for non-guitar purposes. It is very heavy/dense. Have you considered the weight of the finished body?
Old 04-10-2015, 08:23 PM

I have. And that's why I want it to be chambered a lot to reduce the weight. Plus, its not going to be something I'll take on stage for a whole set. More like something that I'll bring out for a number or two, or show it off in my music room.

More of a trophy piece that can be played rather than a player that also looks good. Want to be the first to build a solid body with Spectraply.
Old 04-10-2015, 09:23 PM

Default A couple of thoughts

I wouldn't be surprised if that material has a heavy resin impregnation (acrylic,phenolic, or some such) which can be fairly tough on cutting tools. That, combined with the liability risk in using customer-supplied material, may make it a bit difficult to find someone to do the carving, unless you make it clear that cost is not a limiting factor.

When I'm asked to use provided material for nuts, saddles, bridges, etc., the first thing that runs through my mind is "what if I screw up the piece?" On the somewhat rare occasion I do that kind of work, I spend a good deal of extra time being unusually careful at all stages of the job. Time = money, you bet.

Another factor might be the need for chambering and design work. . .

Frank Ford
Old 04-10-2015, 10:30 PM

The supplier said Spectraply isn't any harder on normal turning tools or lathes, but they do recommend a good and well working dust collection system.

Warmoth got back to me with a "not responsible for circumstances beyond our control in the process that would render the customer supplied blank unusable" CYA sort of thing. They also said that there was a flat charge of $100 for custom work, on top of what they were going to charge.

So, price is certainly an object. And that object has been surpassed by the $100 shop fee before the work even starts.
Old 04-11-2015, 02:48 AM

Contact Larry Robinson of Clearfok Designs: [email protected]

He can turn your chunk of wood into a strat body.

-r
Old 04-11-2015, 05:18 AM

I may be able to help you with this. PM or email me.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Ford View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if that material has a heavy resin impregnation (acrylic,phenolic, or some such) which can be fairly tough on cutting tools. That, combined with the liability risk in using customer-supplied material, may make it a bit difficult to find someone to do the carving, unless you make it clear that cost is not a limiting factor.
The Spectraply laminates are not resin impregnated. although the company do make resin impregnated laminates as well.

I have looked through the available sizes, and there doesn't appear to be any off-the-shelf size suitable for a Strat blank. Maybe you have already talked to them about having a custom size supplied.

What would make for a really interesting Strat body would be to resaw the panel of choice into 1 3/4" strips (or maybe 1 7/8" to be on the safe side) but rip it at 45 degrees, and glue the strips (original face side to original face side) to make a fresh blank ... then once it was routed , you would have some really interesting striations on the front and on the contoured edges.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:55 AM

Used it for a back strip and end graph (wish I did that differently),

and for the rosette.

The stuff cuts like a hard maple. Really is not bend friendly, was going to use it as purfling around the top but I had enough of it just doing the rosette.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
...I have looked through the available sizes, and there doesn't appear to be any off-the-shelf size suitable for a Strat blank. Maybe you have already talked to them about having a custom size supplied....
I did contact the supplier Cousineau woods and they can make the size I need. It takes 2-3 months from once I place the order (and presumably pay for it) to take actual delivery.

And the blank is supposed to be large enough that the strips will be inline with the neck. Thereby getting the laminate look across the entire body, and obviously some interesting patterns where the contours of the body curve.

And since I'm thinking I'll need a very aggressive chambering (weight reduction) I'm thinking that maybe a rear rout and mounted electronics might be the way to go. Shame to cover up the laminates, and getting a pickguard that looks good would be hard.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:30 AM

Could you get a thinner piece made and make a cover plate out of it?
Old 04-12-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Could you get a thinner piece made and make a cover plate out of it?
Methinks that would look slightly messy ... you would have two different grain patterns fighting each other (unless you got the laminations aligned absolutely perfectly ) ... and there is also the practical aspect of the strength (or lack thereof) of the short grain on the cover plate.... very liable to split when screwed on IMO ....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair