The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-30-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Yeah, one of the last albums I was working on the label was quibbling about song length. You see, when a song length goes over 4:20 (I think) they have to pay a royalty premium to the composer. We hacked and hacked on one song and gave up with it still over the limit.

Bob
Yeah, that's crazy. That also goes for the number of tracks on an album. That's why most albums are 10 songs. After that a further fee kicks in. The
funny part is unless the writer is Max Martin, Pharrell or someone of that stature; the royalty payments are going to be small. I sometimes get royalty statements for 5 cents....
Old 05-01-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas1971 View Post
Yeah, that's crazy. That also goes for the number of tracks on an album. That's why most albums are 10 songs. After that a further fee kicks in. The
funny part is unless the writer is Max Martin, Pharrell or someone of that stature; the royalty payments are going to be small. I sometimes get royalty statements for 5 cents....
Wait, really? Why does it cost more to put more than 10 tracks?
Old 05-01-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryannn29 View Post
Wait, really? Why does it cost more to put more than 10 tracks?
There's some kind of royalty that is paid to artists/songwriters when an album
contains more than 10 songs. It's the reason why record companies have always made sure albums are only 10 songs. They don't want to pay anymore than they have too. That's why albums released in other countries sometimes have "bonus tracks" on them. They are most likely songs the artist wanted on the album but that the US record wouldn't agree too.

I recommend you watch this new documentary that Jared Leto of 30 seconds to Mars just released. It's called Artifact. He basically documents the roller coaster ride that EMI sent him and his band on after they got signed. It's very informative and typical of what major labels are doing now regarding bands. It's depressing as well.....but it can give you a good idea of what people go through to get records made. The scary part is that Jared Leto is already famous and an Academy Award winning actor; in other words a person with mass appeal already and EMI still treated him like he was a nobody....
Old 05-01-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legolas1971 View Post
There's some kind of royalty that is paid to artists/songwriters when an album
contains more than 10 songs. It's the reason why record companies have always made sure albums are only 10 songs. They don't want to pay anymore than they have too. That's why albums released in other countries sometimes have "bonus tracks" on them. They are most likely songs the artist wanted on the album but that the US record wouldn't agree too.

I recommend you watch this new documentary that Jared Leto of 30 seconds to Mars just released. It's called Artifact. He basically documents the roller coaster ride that EMI sent him and his band on after they got signed. It's very informative and typical of what major labels are doing now regarding bands. It's depressing as well.....but it can give you a good idea of what people go through to get records made. The scary part is that Jared Leto is already famous and an Academy Award winning actor; in other words a person with mass appeal already and EMI still treated him like he was a nobody....
Oh, so the record company doesn't want to be more than 10 because of the royalties they'd have to pay to musicians. That's ridiculous! But then again, that's that music business for ya...what isn't ridiculous/insane/silly/stupid/astounding

Thanks for the recommendation, just checked out the trailer. Definitely going to give it a watch.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD